John Spencer RIP

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

John Spencer RIP

Post by sluffy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:16 pm

Snooker legend John Spencer has died at the age of 71 after a long battle against stomach cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 171212.stm

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:03 pm

Sad news, although not unexpected.

As well as the snooker I've got fond memories of spending time in Spenny's bar on Mealhouse Lane in the eighties. RIP

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:21 pm

warthog wrote:Sad news, although not unexpected.

As well as the snooker I've got fond memories of spending time in Spenny's bar on Mealhouse Lane in the eighties. RIP
Me too. Me and mi mates bought Senior memberships to the snooker club despite only being 16. This was, of course, so that they then couldn't refuse to serve us ale at the bar !!! Genius!!

Used to see him up in the snooker hall quite often, always had time for whoever wanted to speak to him. RIP.
May the bridges I burn light your way

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 pm

We had a charity 24 hour game once way back in 85/86. We used one of his tables free of charge and he turned up at about three in the morning to give us a boost.

He will be missed.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:38 am

My best mate used to live next door to him in Radcliffe in the early 70s, he seemed like a nice enough chap. IIRC his brother used to run the Turf on Bolton Rd., Radcliffe and they had snooker tables in there in those days. They also had one of, if not the best, pool team in the Radcliffe and Bury pool league for years. We always put it down to the fact that they practised on the snooker table.

RIP
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?