too early for an ashes thread??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

too early for an ashes thread??

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:38 am

seems like the mind-games are in full swing...

first Monty is dissed as "lightweight" - I forget which Aussie said that... now Warne says Monty is a match winner and that Reid is our best wicket keeper - and we are a stronger team since last time...

tosh - I say!

I don't believe we have a cat-in-hell's chance...

our bowlers have been decimated (actually worse than that - decimate means to lose one-in-ten, doesn't it?) Jones is out, Hussien won't make it, Flinoff is crocked, Harmison has forgotten how to bowl, Giles has been crocked - and has hardly bowled since....

we'll get slaughtered.... doooooooooooooooooooomed, I say...

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:44 am

No its not too early seen as though people are harping on about christmas already. Im in the doomed camp n'all.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:47 am

The thing I don't get... (or one of the things) is that I thought they did the Ashes in the summer??? It's nearly Christmas!!!!!!!! :?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:50 am

Gertie wrote:The thing I don't get... (or one of the things) is that I thought they did the Ashes in the summer??? It's nearly Christmas!!!!!!!! :?
Its in Australia.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:54 am

It's never too early, and seeing that we've headed out to Australia, its as good a time as any.

Unfortunately i'm not certain we'll do that well, we've been too disrupted with injuries in the last 18 months since the Oval test.

Panesar will be ok though, he's already bowled at the best players of spin in the world and come out on top, my worry - as was my worry pre the last ashes is the quality of our batting. I don't really think its upto the task (with the exception of Petersen and Freddie - but you don't build an innings round them guys like a vaughn, atherton (ok not vs McGrath) or Boycott)
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: too early for an ashes thread??

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:56 am

thebish wrote:Jones is out, Hussien won't make it, Flinoff is crocked, Harmison has forgotten how to bowl, Giles has been crocked

A fully fit and firing Anderson can cover the absence of Jones - whether he's fit and firing, we'll have to see

Hussein - who?

Flintoff is gonna be fine - well rested

Giles is a good cricketer, but not in Panesars league as a wicket taker

Harmison is a worry, but he's sprung into life before when he's ben given a decent pitch to bowl on

Seeing as they have to beat us, if we can get through the first teast unscathed, I'm quietly optimistic
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:59 am

As fert batting, Trescothick has struggled v the Aussies

Strauss and Cook should have good series

I'm more worried about Pietersen - very hit n miss recenytly, much more miss than hit

I'd also revert to Jones as w/k
Sto ut Serviam

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:04 pm

Harmison has never been a great ODI bowler so the Champions trophy is not to be believed. Homesickness maybe the issue, but some of the pitches there will be made for him (like in the windies when he became no 1)

Agree with Caps here, Anderson is good, a pure wicket taker, he'll go off line but he'll also hit the spot and get the wickets.

We'll see with Cook though - Bell was our best batsman going into the last ashes (averaging 150 or something - admittedly vs crap but none the less) and he was found out. The Aussies are different gravy at the sledging. I am optimistic though he seems level headed.

I agree re Jones though I think the pitches will suit him, the more batters the better

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: too early for an ashes thread??

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:07 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
thebish wrote:Jones is out, Hussien won't make it, Flinoff is crocked, Harmison has forgotten how to bowl, Giles has been crocked

A fully fit and firing Anderson can cover the absence of Jones - whether he's fit and firing, we'll have to see

Hussein - who?
sorry - bad clause juxtaposition oin my part - I didn't mean for the list of players to refer back to the bit about bowlers being decimated - but that's how it reads... doh!

I meant Hussein - Nasser Hussein - as in Michael Vaughan - and my brain getting muddled again!!! double-doh!!!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:21 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:We'll see with Cook though - Bell was our best batsman going into the last ashes (averaging 150 or something - admittedly vs crap but none the less) and he was found out
I'd agree with most of that in that Bell did have an amazing average, built in two tests v Zimbabwe 4th XI I think

But you know, I don't think he was found out, and wasn't he only 23?

Veteran for a sub continental player, I know, but young for England

His innings at, I think Trent Bridge (could've been Brum, a ground out affair) went a long way to winning the game

Bell wasn't fluent but I thought he played Warne very well at times

He's a good un

Not sure he'll start the series though, as I think Collingwood will be favoured

Tres, Strauss, Cook, KP, Collingwood, Freddie, Read/Jones, Anderson, Hoggard, Harmy, Panesar - worrying tail there without Giles, and thats the dilemma I guess

The control and batting of Giles, v the wicket taking ability of Monty
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:34 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

I think you're right - that'd be the Collingwood that Boycott wrote off as "lightweight and simply not up to creeckeeet at this level" during the last Ashes series... (If I remember it correctly)

we should boycott Boycott - he's a full-tosser of the highest order..

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:51 pm

Caps, he had a good first innings at OT, think he made about 60 or so (being there I was far too drunk to remember exactly what he got :mrgreen: ), but he got himself out through a lack of concentration at times, something he's definitely improved on given his showing vs Pakistan over the summer. But to clarify I'm a big fan, I think he's probably the best technical batsman we have, and personally i'd play him above Colly (wont happen though)

Agree with the team, although I think it maybe Giles or anderson for some of the tests.

Taking wickets wins games so you got to go with Panesar, and hope the top order see's us through

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:56 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:We'll see with Cook though - Bell was our best batsman going into the last ashes (averaging 150 or something - admittedly vs crap but none the less) and he was found out
I'd agree with most of that in that Bell did have an amazing average, built in two tests v Zimbabwe 4th XI I think

But you know, I don't think he was found out, and wasn't he only 23?

Veteran for a sub continental player, I know, but young for England

His innings at, I think Trent Bridge (could've been Brum, a ground out affair) went a long way to winning the game

Bell wasn't fluent but I thought he played Warne very well at times

He's a good un

Tres, Strauss, Cook, KP, Collingwood, Freddie, Read/Jones, Anderson, Hoggard, Harmy, Panesar - worrying tail there without Giles, and thats the dilemma I guess

The control and batting of Giles, v the wicket taking ability of Monty
We may start with five bowlers, there's still concern over Flintoff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 123546.stm

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:25 pm

Which is another reason why Collingwood will play

There is no way theres room for another fully fledged bowler

I think Flintoff is the fifth bowler referred to in the plans
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:34 pm

Just hope we don't adopt a "we're the kings of the world" attitude about all this. Playing the Aussie's at anything on their home turf will not be easy. Warne is a master motivator, both of himself and the team. I admire him out of sight for that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Oh, I don't know, I reckon you could be in with a chance (note the you :-) )

While the Aussies have a significant amount of experience this means that they are a 'Dads Army' in age terms. I think the average is around 31.

McGrath is accurate still, but he's not picking up the wickets as he used to. Lee is quick and improving but he's still often very expensive. Warne is, well, Warne - meaning he can be belted all over the ground or rip through the batting order. Toss a coin on that one. The WACA (Perth) ground is usually hard and fast, as is the 'gabba. Adelaide, Sydney and the MCG tend to be more spinner friendly, though they do have their days for the quicks.

They tell me that Monty is a worse fielder than was Tuffnel. Is this true? In fact, is this possible? He'll not half get some stick from the crowds if he is.

Bring it on; I hope it will be a close fought contest whoever is the victor.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:01 pm

are you named after Windies Wicky - Jeff Dujon?? Awesome player...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Dujon wrote:The WACA (Perth) ground is usually hard and fast
I understand the WACA isn't what it was

In fact, it has been described as a feather bed

Aussies are scared of Harmison and Flintoff
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:22 pm

if Harmy comes good - he could be lethal - but if they get after him - his confidence is fairly fragile... could go either way - lets hope the management and the captain can keep him focussed...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:51 pm

thebish wrote:are you named after Windies Wicky - Jeff Dujon?? Awesome player...
No, it was an unfortunate coincidence when I 'invented' my user name. My given name (one of many) is John. I live downunder (hence the DU part). Simple when you know. Yes, JD was a great 'keeper in my opinion; he could wield the bat at times too.

[Capslock] Not too sure to be honest. There has been comment on the subject in the press from time to time but I'm not convinced. We'll see.

As for being 'scared' I doubt it. 'Wary' maybe, and rightfully so. These lads are after all professionals doncha know. Now me, I'd be terrified - even in the nets with helmet and kevlar body armour.