Snow Business

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Snow Business

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:07 am

It's getting to the time of year where I'm thinking about booking a skiing holiday and would like to know if anyone else skis or snowboards or toboggans or whatever.

I've been mainly to France:

Tignes, Val D'Isere, Meribel, La Plagne and lots of the trois Valles.

Also Zermatt in Switzerland which I wasn't too keen on, but then there wasn't much snow left by the time I was there (which wasn't Switzerland's fault more like global warming... anyways)

I'm a really rubbish skiier despite numerous lessons, and attempts I just don't have the natural ability or skill.

Any recommendations for places?? Or smug, "I've booked mine already...And I'm dead good an'all"

I think Mummy says he's been skiing, anyone else???

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:23 am

Off to Canada in the week after Christmas!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 am

Been to La Plange a couple of years ago now, and loved every minute of it as a first experience of skiing (i'm not including rossendale here!!) and look forwrd to going again at some point soon
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 am

Les Arcs is another good place in France that you should try Gerts. Now linked with La Plagne, of course.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:43 am

Go to Whistler with Mummy. Awesome place.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:03 pm

I have been to Canada for the last eight years after spending a few years in Europe and quite honestly I would not go anywhere else. Always in March because in January/February it can be absolutely freezing.

My opinion on the resorts i've been to

Whistler - Overpriced and overcrowded, maritime climate so the snow can get slushy in the afternoons later in the season.

Banff national park area - Includes Banff , sunshine and Lake Louise. - Banff smallish hill good for beginners and low intermediates. Sunshine - Busier resort but some decent runs, can be quite exposed as well above the tree line particularly on Goats eye mountain. Lake Louise - Good intermediate/expert resort, not too good for a beginner.
Stay in Banff and get the free bus to the ski areas, Sunshine 20 mins Louise 45/60 mins.

Fernie - Not too bad but it is a long transfer (3 half hours) and if you stay in the resort there is no nightlife but if you stay in the town you have to get the bus up each morning.

Big White - Been there last two years, real ski-in/ski-out. My favourite resort. Flight to Calgary or Vancouver then flight to Kelowna in a prop plane (scary) but well worth the trip. No queues and good snow conditions. Plenty of ski variety.

Silver Star - Sister resort to Big White. Really quaint ski resort pretty good skiing with a lovely village.

Sun Peaks - Going there this year so can only report on what friends say. Gets a real good report, similar to Big White with the skiing a bit more challenging. My friend broke her leg there last year and the treatment was first class.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Ski Rossendale. Only problem is it's fecking freezing!
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Been to Italy and Val D'isere (My ex's Dad had a chalet there) but this year I'm thinking of going to France for a week to get some practice in, maybe even try my hand at Snowboarding!!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Thanks for the reports and the suggestions guys, very helpful..

Can't afford Canada - aren't the lift passes £20000

Went to Italy for the day when stayed at Zermatt, was told that there would be a passport control on the border and I'd have to go through one of those airport style scanner things. This turned out to be UNTRUE. Problem with the Italian plumbing put me off :(

I know people who have been to Les Arcs and Les Gets for mountain biking in the summer so might be an option...

The thing is I need catered accommodation because after being on apre-ski cocktails I need my full cooked brekkie in the morning to soak up the effects of the hangover. Perhaps I'd be a better skiier if I stayed clear of the sex-on-the-piste (the cocktail that is).

Have fun everyone!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:31 pm

Gertie wrote:Thanks for the reports and the suggestions guys, very helpful..

Can't afford Canada - aren't the lift passes £20000

Went to Italy for the day when stayed at Zermatt, was told that there would be a passport control on the border and I'd have to go through one of those airport style scanner things. This turned out to be UNTRUE. Problem with the Italian plumbing put me off :(

I know people who have been to Les Arcs and Les Gets for mountain biking in the summer so might be an option...

The thing is I need catered accommodation because after being on apre-ski cocktails I need my full cooked brekkie in the morning to soak up the effects of the hangover. Perhaps I'd be a better skiier if I stayed clear of the sex-on-the-piste (the cocktail that is).

Have fun everyone!!
Jet2 are now doing flights to Corcheval(?) in France. It comes with high recommendations .
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Cheers m'dears. I did go ski a bit of Corcheval when I was in Meribel.... And rumour has it that a certain member of my top 5 owns a chalet there... So I might just bump into him at ski school..

Oooooooohhhh :)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:48 pm

Gertie wrote:Can't afford Canada - aren't the lift passes £20000
Errrm, no. More like £300.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:54 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Gertie wrote:Can't afford Canada - aren't the lift passes £20000
Errrm, no. More like £300.
Oh, my mistake then... I thought I'd seen something where the passes there are very pricey. Got a good deal last year with the Times if you booked on their website everyone in your group got a free lift pass for the 3 valleys.

I've also heard, is this true, that all the accommodations are room only - no food included????

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:57 pm

I dont ski, but everyone seems to be on some other thread talking about religion.

HI!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:58 pm

americantrotter wrote:I dont ski, but everyone seems to be on some other thread talking about religion.

HI!
Hi AT come skiing with me and we can be the rubbish ones at the back...

Do you like cocktails, snow and big cooked breakfasts??

Also
bruises, aches, and the cold????

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Actually I like all of those things. Except I am crap at Skiing. Nearly killed a woman once!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:09 pm

americantrotter wrote:Actually I like all of those things. Except I am crap at Skiing. Nearly killed a woman once!
But that was nothing to do with Skiing!! :twisted:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:19 pm

I went skiing once, about 8 years ago. I'm an absolutel malc fall over at any opportunity but fancied giving it a go. I loved it and turned out to be ok, except at all that jumping milarkey. And ski lifts were a struggle too, once fell off one and shoved my ski into a germans face, HA! Would love to do it agin but its soooo expensive...

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:25 pm

An absolute what???

I've been quite a few times and I have good days when I do the red runs and some black runs, and then I have days where I can't move with fear and fall over all the time. Normally go for blue runs and try and keep my confidence... Have bought some blades and I feel tons better with them rather than normal skis...

The free lift pass offer was a real bonus last year!!!!!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:17 pm

malc - mal-co-ordinated bar steward