Cold Turkey

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Cold Turkey

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:11 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

This is just how mad society is, your locked up for being a criminal, but get money as the government is not feeding your drug habit!!

:crazy:
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Surely cold turkey is the risk they take when getting arrested? If they wanted to be kept on the drugs and slowly weeded off it then surely they should have to pay for it rather than taxpayers?

Another example of the country bending over to the criminals.

What we will see is more people coming out of jail sooner because the government doesn't want to support there costly drug habits in jail.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:16 pm

this country is fast becoming one big pathetic joke

yeah lets stick criminals in jail so they can sit on their arses getting stoned all fkn day

:roll:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:50 pm

To paraphrase someone on the radio

''do we let obese criminals eat McDonalds etc everyday? What about alcoholics? Are we to continue feeding their habit too?''
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 pm

cowdrill wrote:this country is fast becoming one big pathetic joke :roll:
Not "becoming"; it already got there. Trouble is, it get worse, not better. We're now a nation of blamers. Eveything that happens to people is someone else's fault. Fxxx the working class tax payers, look after the poor misguided drug addicts and criminals. If criminals feared the law they wouldn't commit crime. They don't, they laugh at it. You want to know the real reason the country is in a mess; look at our outdated legal system, the do-gooding civil rights mob and the soft government who let it all happen. What's the point of being law-abiding when criminals and dodgers have us beaten six ways to Sunday?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Not "becoming"; it already got there. Trouble is, it get worse, not better. We're now a nation of blamers. Eveything that happens to people is someone else's fault. Fxxx the working class tax payers, look after the poor misguided drug addicts and criminals. If criminals feared the law they wouldn't commit crime. They don't, they laugh at it. You want to know the real reason the country is in a mess; look at our outdated legal system, the do-gooding civil rights mob and the soft government who let it all happen. What's the point of being law-abiding when criminals and dodgers have us beaten six ways to Sunday?
That your Christian spirit gushing to the fore there, Tango? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
That your Christian spirit gushing to the fore there, Tango? :conf:
There's a difference between being Christian and soft in the head Bruce. The Lord helps those who help themselves, or try to. Trouble is, some people take helping themselves too literally. To quote the vicar who let two Gypsy caravans park on Church land overnight, then found another four there the following day. Third day the field gate was locked. When asked why, he said "Christianity stops at six caravans"! :)

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:01 pm

hehe!! :D
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Addiction is a medical problem. Not a legal one. Nor is it a moral one.
The Lord helps those who help themselves,
Rather strange that you should quote from Zoroastra........you being a Christian and all... :crazy:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:39 pm

i have no pity for 'addicts'

these complete nobheads know drugs are addictive and they know they can f**k you up - its their choice

but fine! give em as much smack as they can inject and let them o.d. their stupid brains out 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:13 pm

InsaneApache wrote:Addiction is a medical problem. Not a legal one. Nor is it a moral one.
The Lord helps those who help themselves,
Rather strange that you should quote from Zoroastra........you being a Christian and all... :crazy:
As you will, IA. I've already seen the futility of trying to debate anything to do with religion here. What's the point of getting it thrown back in your face every time you comment on a thread, any thread at the moment? Think I'll give it all a miss for a while. You all have fun. Over and out.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:37 pm

I don't know the facts, and probably never will because this won't make a law report now, but receiving grossly substandard and unusual healthcare is not and should not be part of what a prison sentence is all about.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:50 pm

true

lets not only give them pool tables, colour tv, playstations and the internet

lets give em drugs too!

that way when their back on the outside they will DEFINATELY think twice about commiting anymore crimes

who would want to return to a hell hole like that again?!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 am

You're deliberately missing the point, but at least in doing so you are in the company of most of the media outlets reporting this story.

It's not a question of 'giving them drugs', to go with their (almost entirely fictitious) Playstations, as a recreational perk. The standard and most successful treatment for addiction is a more gradual weaning off. If you want to make the argument that prisoners should not have a normal or decent standard of medical care as part of the punishment for what they have done/a measure for greater crime deterrence/a money-saving venture, then by all means make it. But we can do a bit better than the tabloid "now they want drugs too!" nonsense, here on The Wanderer.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:27 am

Will they be paying for their prescription drugs?

Like I'd have to

As for the provision of decent medical care, anything that makes their time in prison less bearable will do for me
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:40 am

Mmmmm...

I'm with mummy here. I have visited prisons - and I have never got the impression that they are luxurious palaces - or that the inmates are having a great time..

This case - based on the little we know - is not about handing out drugs in prison - it's about how you medically handle withdrawal. As Mummy points out, the normal medical advice is not "cold Turkey"..

Personally I would be much happier if there was proper access to drug-rehabilitation in prison. Many govts. have paid lip-service to this, but I have seen precious little evidence of it. Even better - to have decent provision outside prison!

This would involve spending money (on criminals!)... But, woolly-liberal-do-gooder that I am, I still happen to think that proper drug-rehabilitation and education in Prison would be a much more effective antidote to recidivism than what we have at present..

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:You're deliberately missing the point, but at least in doing so you are in the company of most of the media outlets reporting this story.

It's not a question of 'giving them drugs', to go with their (almost entirely fictitious) Playstations, as a recreational perk. The standard and most successful treatment for addiction is a more gradual weaning off. If you want to make the argument that prisoners should not have a normal or decent standard of medical care as part of the punishment for what they have done/a measure for greater crime deterrence/a money-saving venture, then by all means make it. But we can do a bit better than the tabloid "now they want drugs too!" nonsense, here on The Wanderer.
Excellent post. Nice to see someone else still has full control of their knees and can actually use their brain properly!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:54 am

What I don't understand about this - perhaps mummy can clarify - is that the cold turkey incident took place in something like 1991 which I believe is before the human rights acts came into place so how can the prisoners sue for a breach of their rights if this law "was broken" before it even came into effect?

Am I making any sense here - obviously I'm way out of my depth..
Businesswoman of the year.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:57 am

CrazyHorse wrote:What I don't understand about this - perhaps mummy can clarify - is that the cold turkey incident took place in something like 1991 which I believe is before the human rights acts came into place so how can the prisoners sue for a breach of their rights if this law "was broken" before it even came into effect?

Am I making any sense here - obviously I'm way out of my depth..
We were committed to the European Convention on Human Rights long before the Human Rights Act in 1998. The only thing that legislation did was make the human rights arguments valid in British courts, meaning that people don't now have to take their case straight to Strasbourg (which was not easy, or cheap).
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 am

Ahh, I see, cheers. :D
Businesswoman of the year.