Some advice from wiser heads.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Some advice from wiser heads.

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:32 pm

So im 16 now and fast approaching my GCSE's but i have to decide what courses to do at Colledge very quickly. I want to go into a career of Sports Journalism/Sports broadcasting and was just wodnering if any of you had any knowledge as to what would be the best to choose.

I have asked a mulititude of different people but i thought i would sought out some of my fellow Bolton fans opinons.

The course i am thinking of taking are English lit and Lang, Pyschology, P.E and Modern History. I am also considering communication studies but i have to pick 4.

Any ideas?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:49 pm

What grades are you going to get at GCSE?

Have you considered getting a proper job?
Sto ut Serviam

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:04 pm

I'm predicted to get very good grades as GCSE infact.

What do you mean by proper job? Why should i limit myslef and not strive to reach my ambitions?

Anyway any ideas on my question.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:09 pm

If you want to get into Sports Media, you need to either be a wanker, or a tosser - then you are guaranteed a job at TalkSport.

Don't listen to CAPS, there lies a misspent youth.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:11 pm

Hey if i was in the media i would always be biased towards te Wanderers.

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:12 pm

If you feel you have the skill, go for it Dax. My brother is a sports journalist, and nobody took him seriously at the start. I don't have a "proper job" either. You can get there, if you persist.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:14 pm

Village Idiot wrote:If you feel you have the skill, go for it Dax. My brother is a sports journalist, and nobody took him seriously at the start. I don't have a "proper job" either. You can get there, if you persist.
Cheers :) . You got any idea what subjects your brother took?

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:26 pm

daxter15 wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:If you feel you have the skill, go for it Dax. My brother is a sports journalist, and nobody took him seriously at the start. I don't have a "proper job" either. You can get there, if you persist.
Cheers :) . You got any idea what subjects your brother took?
Our system is different to the British one, so we can't compare. From the ones you listed maybe I would drop Pshychology and take Communication studies. But I'm doing this from a complete ignorance on how your system works.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:28 pm

ok cheers for help.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:32 pm

You'l have a lot of competition if you want to be a sports journalist, but if that's your ambition then go for it.

You'd probably be best off going for a journalism degree, so pick the subjects that'll support your application for that.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Aye thats the problem, i dont know which courses are best.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Call me old-fashioned if you must but I do believe you'll have more chance of forging a career as a journalist if you spell it "college" and not "colledge"! :wink:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:42 pm

Lol, I swear i have been using spell check to much. It has deteriorated my level of spelling.

I think i will go with the 4 that i have listed. I am interested in them as well and that has to be a factor. And i also think Sports pyschology is an appealing role so i think i will take pyschology to give me that aspect.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Sorry can't help really, just do what YOU want to do and best of luck

Was too thick for anything other than the free sixth form and I only lasted a coupla months there, luckily school is a dark and distant memory for me (I hated it and going to my daughters school still scares me..lol)

Best of luck, hope you end up doing something you want to do

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:47 pm

Thanks for the advice and kind words fellas.

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Which College are you thinking of going (if not you must be at a good school with sixth form attached)?

I would personally recommend Communication Studies, i did this at Bolton North, and i loved the class, and the teachers were good (never boring). I recommend the class because it's really interesting, and gives you a better perspective on life, and how things work. Which will also be valuable in a journo job.

Whatever you choose good luck
Stay up

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 pm

daxter15 wrote:Hey if i was in the media i would always be biased towards te Wanderers.
Therein lies your problem.

If you cannot be impartial, then you will never make a decent journalist.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:58 pm

daxter15 wrote:Lol, I swear i have been using spell check to much. It has deteriorated my level of spelling.

I think i will go with the 4 that i have listed. I am interested in them as well and that has to be a factor. And i also think Sports pyschology is an appealing role so i think i will take pyschology to give me that aspect.
Zulu is correct, dax - written English is fairly fundamental and you need to work on the basics - not just spelling. 'To much' above is spelled correctly but you meant 'too much'. Even in posts to this forum you should try to capitalize properly just for practice. Then you can work on style - e.g. deteriorate can be a transitive verb but your sentence would flow better if used intransistively - "As a result, my spelling has detriorated". Even if you become an electronic journalist you will have to write copy and it should sound literate.

Communication Studies seems a good idea - but ultimately I would study the subjects you like and which interest you.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Daxter - Contact your local radio station or local paper. See if you can tag along with a sports reporter for an afternoon/day/week.
The best people to advise on how to get into sports journalism are probably existing journos, so make a few calls or write a few letters. Chances are a lot won't reply, but you don't know until you try.
Good luck.

But maybe don't contact Louise Taylor or Barry Glendenning at the Guardian.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:39 pm

Winter Hill White wrote:Daxter - Contact your local radio station or local paper. See if you can tag along with a sports reporter for an afternoon/day/week.
The best people to advise on how to get into sports journalism are probably existing journos, so make a few calls or write a few letters. Chances are a lot won't reply, but you don't know until you try.
Good luck.

But maybe don't contact Louise Taylor or Barry Glendenning at the Guardian.
Spot on get on to local papers/radio etc, work experience will get a view and also get your face and name known. An awful lot of people who end up in journalism come from a myriad of different routes. I didn't get any journalism qualifications until I was actually working.
Also be prepared for the fact that you may be a long way from sports reporting even if you get in the door, I photographed an awful lot of 'scanner appeal' cheques being presented before I got near some of the more interesting jobs. Being prepared to do anything and being willing to learn and reliable will count as much as qualifications or talent..
check out http://www.nctj.com/ industry recognised qualifications and plenty of good advice on careers etc..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham