emailing at work

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

emailing at work

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:49 pm

Been thinking about this recently as last week I had tried to email a couple of mates at their respective companies (whom I had previously been able to email) and I got an error message stating that I now no longer had permission to email their domains. Which was a tad frustrating as I was on my lunch break.

Usually all 'commercial' domains (ie hotmail, yahoo etc) are blocked, meaning that whenever a client of ours emails of such a domain we have to request it be released.

As I was pretty f*cked off with this I was wondering what rights I had to ask that I could email these again? It probably depends on the e-policy I signed right?

Does the fact that one day I could email them the next not mean that someone had read through my emails and decided to put a stop to it? If so is that some form of breach of privacy? Big Brother society I guess. :crazy:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Like you say, it depends what you agreed to. Check out your company's policy on non-work email.

Fortunately my place don't give a flying feck, or about net access, otherwise I'd've had the sack a long time ago! :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:59 pm

Mines so bad i sometimes feel like i work in nazi germany.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:59 pm

had big problems with big brother here too

they're actually not that strict with going on tinterweb :roll: or emailing (batty sends me 3 emails at a time and i have to reply to each seperately) but they've recently "clamped down" on our internal chat system. which is bizarre as we have never had any actual guidelines as to what its used for

they do have a right I believe to manage who you email to stop various opinions and facts being leaked. the common sense alternative would be to relax the access to hotmail etc. stopping who you email isn't breach of privacy its just stupid people management. rather than a polite word in the offending employees ear companies just jump in and put a policy in place because they've read it in a text book and spoil it for all

just check what you've signed but electronic communications is the greyest of grey areas as 40 year old HR managers don't even know how to use them

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:06 pm

Much of the rule scenario on this topic is based on company security. E-mails are a known source of virus implantation and, there is also the fact that, since the company are paying your wages, private communication isn't what they pay you for. My own company is a computer comany and a leader in the IT field. We have a system that traps and holds all incoming e-mails and we have to manage our own. That said, we have full access to the internet and can send out e-mails freely. I have to think security will be the main reason for your company's decisions. In this day and age when even banks and governments are prone to hacker-attack, you can hardly blame them really. Wouldn't make waves if I were you. Just my opinion.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 pm

The company can stop you emailing whatever addresses they like, it's their equipment and their bandwidth.

I tend to find with all the gubbins they use to monitor, that it looks at a few things...

number of replies going back and forward
size of email in KB
strength of language used, a "bloody" may rate as 1 point but "c***" would be 3 and emails at 3 or more get flagged up.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Ours is bad for internal emails - BB watches eagle eyed

Internets bad - I can get on here, and not alot else.

External emails aren't too bad. They monitor the number rather than who its too..
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:46 pm

Yeah its pretty bad at my place as well. Youtube is an absolute no-no. Chain e-mails, bad language or anything with more than two consecutive xx's can all get your account closely checked.

Do what I did though. Make friends with the IT bod at your place (if you're lucky enough just to need one person to tell you to "switch it off and switch it back on again") and he/she will tip you off if you're overstepping the mark.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:09 pm

communistworkethic wrote: number of replies going back and forward
size of email in KB
strength of language used, a "bloody" may rate as 1 point but "c***" would be 3 and emails at 3 or more get flagged up.
Yeah I worked out the old size one...

What I find interesting is that I sent to an internal address a lot more emails on the same subject and I haven't been pulled up on that at all. Infact I haven't been pulled up at all, just got stopped emailing these addresses so I found it all a bit bizzare. Which is why I found DLH's comment about internal emails strange as I guessed they were only checking my external ones.

I'm not planning on making waves I don't think, I was only organising a night out so nothin major. Was just a litle peeved that someone had just put a stop to it especially when all i was doing was sending an email in my lunch break. But yet I bounce internal emails around all day for fun!

Do the e-police just sit there all day checking who is sending tons of emails then? Or does the system alert them if someone is bouncing emails back a lot?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 pm

automated reports set on certain parameters Dibble
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Of course, this is all assuming you work for a big company. If you work for a small company then you're luckier, as there isn't really the budget for an uber-zealous IT police force.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:33 pm

Aye, too big unfortunately.