For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:27 pm

ChrisC wrote:Didn't Bournemouth pay Ipswich around 10 million for that Mings lad?

Both English.. Check!

Both defenders.. Check!

Both wanted after a first good breakthrough season.. Check!

Can somebody tell me why we are only getting offered around 2 million for our lad when Mings goes for 5 times that? That was a season or two back as well before all these barmy prices started appearing this summer! Callum Chambers is another one who went for a big fee.

Whatever we sell for, we would be much better selling to a Bournemouth type as we are more likely to get a large chunk of any silly sale to a "big" club down the line. If we sell to Arsenal he will rot there for the next however many seasons.
Probably because we have just been relegated to League 1 and if rumours are true, we need cash.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm

I think also because the lad has played 30 games for a side that finished bottom of the championship. That is the extent of his footballing career. Of course he looks very talented. But he could easily start the season for us be bullied by a couple of league one forwards lose a bit of a confidence and be worth far less. We've all seen it happen. I think his value goes up if he backs up initial promise with a second senior solid season in a more successful side.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think also because the lad has played 30 games for a side that finished bottom of the championship. That is the extent of his footballing career. Of course he looks very talented. But he could easily start the season for us be bullied by a couple of league one forwards lose a bit of a confidence and be worth far less. We've all seen it happen. I think his value goes up if he backs up initial promise with a second senior solid season in a more successful side.

Fair comment. Lets be honest, it wasn't very hard to look good in that Bolton side last term!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:51 pm

boltonboris wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Didn't Bournemouth pay Ipswich around 10 million for that Mings lad?
Bournemouth have just paid £15m for someone too.. so they've either busted their account, or they're minted.

I reckon the latter
They've been minted for ages. They're owned by a Russian who spent £5m on a house in Sandbanks - Britain's poshest postcode, where Arry Redknapp lives - then demolished it.

Even before the new TV deal they also spent £11m on Benik Afobe, £8.5m on Max Gradel and £8m on Lewis Grabban, although they haven't yet demolished any of those.

Just because they play at a dinky wee ground doesn't mean they aren't bankrolled. According to some published figures, in 2014/15 (as a Championship club) they spent £2.3m on agent fees; for comparison Spurs spent £5.9m. People forget that part of the fairytale.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think also because the lad has played 30 games for a side that finished bottom of the championship. That is the extent of his footballing career. Of course he looks very talented. But he could easily start the season for us be bullied by a couple of league one forwards lose a bit of a confidence and be worth far less. We've all seen it happen. I think his value goes up if he backs up initial promise with a second senior solid season in a more successful side.
I don't think he got bullied in the Championship, which is a far more physical league from what I've seen
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Bournemouth have just paid £15m for someone too.. so they've either busted their account, or they're minted.

I reckon the latter
They've been minted for ages. They're owned by a Russian who spent £5m on a house in Sandbanks - Britain's poshest postcode, where Arry Redknapp lives - then demolished it.

Even before the new TV deal they also spent £11m on Benik Afobe, £8.5m on Max Gradel and £8m on Lewis Grabban, although they haven't yet demolished any of those.

Just because they play at a dinky wee ground doesn't mean they aren't bankrolled. According to some published figures, in 2014/15 (as a Championship club) they spent £2.3m on agent fees; for comparison Spurs spent £5.9m. People forget that part of the fairytale.
I was aware of all that.. Fairytale my arsenal

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
I don't think he got bullied in the Championship, which is a far more physical league from what I've seen
Neither did Clough initially. Then second season he definitely was targeted and knocked off the ball too easily.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Neither did Clough initially. Then second season he definitely was targeted and knocked off the ball too easily.
that's because he was playing with stumps, so came searching for the ball in positions where it was easy to defend against anyone. Showed some inexperience doing it, but I place more blame on the likes of Heskey for not offering him any support

Toni_DelijeSever
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Toni_DelijeSever » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Well, we are in League 1 and not quite out of financial crises yet. If the other clubs know that, why would they offer 10 000 000 for Holding knowing they could probably get him for significantly lower price?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVIQoyFue0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:43 am

Some suggestion a contract might be offered to Wheater. Presumably if he'll accept a huuuge wage cut. Fingers crossed, but I'm sure someone will offer him a better deal.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:53 am

After watching poor old Beevers get stuffed by league 2 attackers today, wheater would be most welcome back!

No, Beevers looks a good signing really. He just had a bad day at the office, fingers crossed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:53 am

Not so sure on Wheater, his problem is always being injured. He'd have to be very cheap in my view.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:45 pm

I think it is Alan Nixon who suggests we are after loaning Mustapha Carayol from Boro. Not a player I know but he is a winger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustapha_Carayol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:04 pm

malcd1 wrote:I think it is Alan Nixon who suggests we are after loaning Mustapha Carayol from Boro. Not a player I know but he is a winger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustapha_Carayol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That would be interesting. He's definitely a Championship player.

Signed a three-year deal with Tony Mowbray's Boro in Aug 2012; made 12 league starts and 6 subs that first season. In 2013/14 he featured in all but four of Boro's league games (starting 24, on as sub in 8) up to March 2014, when he ripped his ACL. Out for a year, he lost his place and hasn't played a minute for them since, going on loan to Brighton, Leeds and Huddersfield. He signed a two-year extension which runs out next summer.

He's 27 and 5ft 11in (sorry BWFCi). He plays for Gambia (on the west coast of Africa, surrounded by Senegal); there's an Africa Cup of Nations this coming Jan/Feb but they won't be there, they're bottom of their group.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Linked to him last Autumn too I think. Before it became obvious we weren't even loaning anyone.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 pm

A couple of reports also suggesting Arsenal ready to up their bid for Holding to £2.5 million. I think they are not far off what Bolton will take for an inexperienced player. Lets hope there are add ons such as 20% of any profit and increased fees depending on appearances if he does go.

It would be a shame if he does leave but Arsenal would be a good fit for him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Carayol is very quick. I rather feel he might be one of those that can look a world beater but over a season you might ask what his end product is.

However, he has that raw pace we definitely lack. I can't see us affording him though without some subsidy or us shifting some out.

I'd also heard some quotes a while ago attributed to Parky saying that he was considering loans at the end of the window as he'd prefer to assemble a core of permanent players first.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 pm

I see to think he ripped us a new one when we played themy ( not hard I know)

On Holding....3 million. Loaned back to us for a season and a player in on loan! I'll be happy with that! It's nothing to these prem teams now.

Was listening on talks port a few days ago that each team in the prem can easily afford a 30 million pound player if they so wish!

Crazy!!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:I see to think he ripped us a new one when we played themy ( not hard I know)

On Holding....3 million. Loaned back to us for a season and a player in on loan! I'll be happy with that! It's nothing to these prem teams now.

Was listening on talks port a few days ago that each team in the prem can easily afford a 30 million pound player if they so wish!

Crazy!!
Why would you sign Holding and loan him back to a league one side? Given premiership clubs hoard youngsters anyway, and can enter into the new lower league cup thing, can't see many wanting Holding to play league one level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Looks like Arsenal won't bother entering the Football League Trophy.

Nor will Man U, or Man C, or Liverpool, or Spurs, or Chelsea.