For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by HMX » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 am

TRIVIA (unless someone beat me to it):
Eardley and teammate Chris Taylor were named in the 2008–09 League One Team of the Year. (At Oldham Athletic)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Jesus I had Richardson as late twenties...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Jesus I had Richardson as late twenties...
Sign of old age OD.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Frazer Richardson: born Rotherham, turns 34 in October, 5ft 11in.

let me stop you right there... he's a useless shortarse!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:12 am

Per BN, Twardzik close to being released by mutual consent

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Per BN, Twardzik close to being released by mutual consent
Well he bloody well has MY consent !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am

Irritating we have to pay him off. What exactly has he contributed for all the wages he's been paid?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Holding has completed his move to Arsenal according to the offish twatter.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:38 pm

ChrisC wrote:Holding has completed his move to Arsenal according to the offish twatter.
Is it correct that we only had Holding tied in to a one year deal? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 pm

IIRC his deal ran out this summer and we invoked a 1 year extension. Either way he definitley left for nowt (tribunal) at the end of next season. Or we could of forced him to sign a new one and got millions more than the £undisclosed standard BWFC fee.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:IIRC his deal ran out this summer and we invoked a 1 year extension. Either way he definitley left for nowt (tribunal) at the end of next season. Or we could of forced him to sign a new one and got millions more than the £undisclosed standard BWFC fee.
See, anyone that knew what they were doing would have had him tied in to a longer contract before his last one expired. What's the point of having people in academy positions if they can't tell shit from clay?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:IIRC his deal ran out this summer and we invoked a 1 year extension. Either way he definitley left for nowt (tribunal) at the end of next season. Or we could of forced him to sign a new one and got millions more than the £undisclosed standard BWFC fee.
See, anyone that knew what they were doing would have had him tied in to a longer contract before his last one expired. What's the point of having people in academy positions if they can't tell shit from clay?
I'm not sure who could / would have authorised a longer contract last season, the owner just gave up & didn't give a toss and the chairman was very ill.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
We had a 1 year option which we took up. We were unable to offer him more due to the embargo we were under at the time, otherwise I'm sure a more 'senior' contract would have been offered with pay rise and higher pay etc. If we're getting a couple of million with add ons then I'd say that's pretty good considering what we've got in the past for far more established players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
To be fair not sure the club can be really blamed that much.

When Holding broke through the club weren't in any place to offer a new deal and probably weren't allowed to.

By the time the club had new owners I don't see any scenario where Holding and his agent would be prepared to do a deal with premiership interest established.

From all accounts, Holding's improvement was fairly swift so I'm not sure it would necessarily be reasonable to have had him on longer than the deal he was on any earlier.

In the premiership days we used to offer crazy contracts to young players with promise to keep them then realised how they weren't that good, or the deal went to their heads and end up paying for them to be loaned out.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
We had a 1 year option which we took up. We were unable to offer him more due to the embargo we were under at the time, otherwise I'm sure a more 'senior' contract would have been offered with pay rise and higher pay etc. If we're getting a couple of million with add ons then I'd say that's pretty good considering what we've got in the past for far more established players.
It's 1,999,999 more than we'd get for Mavies or Prats!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
It's 1,999,999 more than we'd get for Mavies or Prats!
We'd have to pay someone to take them. In all seriousness.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:39 pm

I don't think the contract issue and expiry issue is an easy one for clubs like ourselves either.

Take a hypothetical scenario. Clough's contract is up next summer. He would renew a longer deal now but would want £15k per week. Which we can afford just about now but would seriously hamper our transfer dealings and could be a problem in the future affordability wise. But if we don't sign him up he's free to walk next summer.

Do we....

A) Take a risk and offer him the deal and hope he hits form again and stays fit?

B) Take a risk and let his contract run down to see how he gets on, knowing the risk is if he does well he's in demand and we might lose him for nowt?

C) Try and sell now for what we can get to ensure a fee and protect the finances?

I know it is hypothetical but I genuinely don't know what I'd do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm surprised and rather touched that Holding signed the extension, if he had an option not to. Shades of Anelka.

Moving back to our level:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Irritating we have to pay him (Twardzik) off. What exactly has he contributed for all the wages he's been paid?
As usual in these things, I think we can't be irritated at being asked to honour a contract we signed. Once you take that out of contract law you, me and everyone else loses a feckload of rights to The Man.

If we signed the wrong contract, I blame the manager and the cheque-signer, not the player.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'm surprised and rather touched that Holding signed the extension, if he had an option not to. Shades of Anelka.

Moving back to our level:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Irritating we have to pay him (Twardzik) off. What exactly has he contributed for all the wages he's been paid?
As usual in these things, I think we can't be irritated at being asked to honour a contract we signed. Once you take that out of contract law you, me and everyone else loses a feckload of rights to The Man.

If we signed the wrong contract, I blame the manager and the cheque-signer, not the player.
Holding's extension was automatic not optional IIRC.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:48 pm

The money we got is an insult.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"