For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm

That's Liam Feeney
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:So is Anderson our only sub 6ft signing then?
7 players 6ft or over have won the Ballon D'or since its inception in 1956 - two of them were goalkeepers. That's 60 years.

Short. Term. Plan. ;-) :D
Yeah but Messi has won the last 50 years.....
Go have a look see...
There is definitely something in having a physical presence. Allardyce and Mourinho certainly believe in it, and (in conjunction with the right training) it can help you maximise set-piece returns – scoring more and conceding fewer. Obviously a team of basketballers who couldn't kick straight would get relegated, but football is a team game and the Ballon d'Or is an individual award...

On Parky's predilection for beanpoles - it might be worth noting that Twardzik, Finney, Holding, Wilkinson, Amos and Newell are all 6ft+, while Woolery and Walker are only a shade under that mark. Of the players Parky has waved away (I'm not including the batch released in May before he took over), only Pisano (5'8.5") is what you might call short. Footballers tend to be 6ft+ these days...
You sorta expect defenders to be 6ft+, which is why I CBA listing Leicester's (they're not always, Beckenbauer wasn't for example (but only by half an inch))

Jamie Vardy 5' 10
Shinji Okazaki 5' 9
Riyad Mahrez 5' 10
Jeff Schlupp 5' 10
Marc Albrighton 5' 9
N'golo Kante 5' 6
Danny Drinkwater 5' 10

You get the point. It's certainly about the sum of the parts rather than the fact every fcker is over 6ft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Sammy Ameobi's Dugout, Scarf, Grin:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Pretty windy at the Macron judging by his hair.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:32 pm

I'da thought he was older than 24 by now.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Right, says Ken, now for the U23s:
Ken Anderson said, [url=http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/chairman-ken-anderson-on-the-clubs-transfer-activity-3285781.aspx]BWFC.co.uk[/url] wrote:It has been a very busy transfer window with a number of highs and lows.

I would however like to say a huge thank you to Phil Parkinson, Tim Breacker, Lee Anderson, Paul Aldridge and Simon Marland for burning the midnight oil for days leading up to and including deadline day.

We were able to bring in a total of five new players on the day itself with James Henry, Sammy Ameobi, Ben Alnwick, Keshi Anderson and Tom Thorpe all arriving at Macron Stadium.

Those five players were brought in to give the squad a better balance and give cover for our extensive injury list, but everyone is happy that we have managed to strengthen the team as a whole.

In the process, we rejected a number of approaches and enquiries for several players right up to the last minute, but the priority was always to keep the key members of the squad together and improve it rather than cash in.

This season's aim is to do whatever we can to try and get promoted, but at the same time, work with a plan to build a sustainable financial foundation going forward.

We are still working under the restraints of the transfer embargo, but are working closely with the EFL to do whatever is possible within those restraints.

Obviously, we were disappointed to have to release several players, but the manager thought that they would develop more by playing games and with the exception of Kaiyne Woolery, they are all loans and hopefully will return at the end of their temporary spells all the better for the experience of getting regular games under their belts.

Now that the transfer window has closed however, our player focus will now move towards strengthening our Under-23 and development squad and looking towards the future.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:00 pm

Ken Anderson - you've proven me wrong. Thank you sir!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Excellent transfer window - far better than anyone could have expected, well done KA and the rest of the board.

Very astute signings as well IMO, as apart from the Palace striker the other three loan players are all out of contract in the summer (I think), so if we do well and they get games & enjoy it we can snap them up in the summer on frees if we go up.

Henry & Ameobi will be excellent at this level, really good signings and for me should both be certain starters (if fit) as they are both way better than anything that we currently have in the squad in forward, wide & attacking midfielder positions - I know that they are only currently loaned until Jan, but I'm sure that they will be extended should it suit both parties.

The lad Thorpe has a very good pedigree is highly rated, I'm not sure why he's not played that many games but he could also be a real asset with his ability to play both DM & CB. Apparently the lad Keshi is quick & can score, so he will be a great asset to be able to bring off the bench if PP continues with playing a big lad upfront - or from the start if PP wants to play a different formation, pace to burn him & Sammi Ameobi going forward.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Did we get any cash for Woolery and/or a selling on fee?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Did we get any cash for Woolery and/or a selling on fee?
We won't miss him....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Very astute signings as well IMO, as apart from the Palace striker the other three loan players are all out of contract in the summer (I think), so if we do well and they get games & enjoy it we can snap them up in the summer on frees if we go up.
Same for Andrew Taylor, which is handy with Moxey out of contract in summer. Only having 7 outfield players contracted beyond summer means that everywhere you look, we have welcome choices to make rather than being saddled with long-termers. Players are being made to prove themselves for next year's wage.

Interesting that we now have three goalkeepers contracted into next season, and beyond in the case of Amos, although you have to imagine he'll be coming to realise that his time must be up. Which would leave only Pratley as a known major wage next season, and maybe Pru will get his way in the next window...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:28 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Undisclosed for Woolery. Iles said he was going to try and dig around for some details on the blog last night, but to my knowledge hasn't said anything about whether he found any information.
Seems to have developed a decent relationship with the clubs hierarchy, so I'd be very very surprised if he disclosed the undisclosed fee (if he even knows)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:
Undisclosed for Woolery. Iles said he was going to try and dig around for some details on the blog last night, but to my knowledge hasn't said anything about whether he found any information.
Seems to have developed a decent relationship with the clubs hierarchy, so I'd be very very surprised if he disclosed the undisclosed fee (if he even knows)
Noticed Lee Anderson bigging Iles up on Twitter last night and thought that. Good for the local journalist to have a close relationship, but not too close. We still want him to report stuff behind the scenes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:43 pm

So, here's the transfer window ins and outs in total, as far as I can see:

OUT: 31
(21 released, 1 loan ended, 2 mutual termination, 3 transferred out, 4 loaned out)
RELEASED Paul Rachubka
RELEASED Ross Fitzsimons
RELEASED Hayden White
RELEASED Niall Maher
RELEASED Oscar Threlkeld
RELEASED David Wheater
RELEASED Quade Taylor
RELEASED Neil Danns
RELEASED Jordan Lussey
RELEASED Liam Feeney
RELEASED Rob Hall
RELEASED Emile Heskey
RELEASED Stephen Dobbie
RELEASED Tom Eaves
RELEASED Harry Campbell
RELEASED Jon Ceberio
RELEASED Channing Campbell-Young
RELEASED Jamie Thomas
RELEASED Yvan Wassi
RELEASED Chris Cvetko
RELEASED Alex Finney
LOAN ENDED Wellington Silva
MUTUAL Francesco Pisano
MUTUAL Filip Twardzik
SOLD Rob Holding
SOLD Tyler Garratt
SOLD Kaiyne Woolery
LOANED OUT George Newell
LOANED OUT Ben Amos
LOANED OUT Tom Walker
LOANED OUT Conor Wilkinson

UNMOVED: 12
Lawrie Wilson
Dorian Dervite
Dean Moxey
Josh Vela
Jay Spearing
Liam Trotter
Mark Davies
Gary Madine
Max Clayton
Derik Osede
Darren Pratley
Zach Clough

IN: 12
(7 frees, 2 loans to Jan, 3 loans to Jun)
FREE Chris Taylor
FREE Mark Beevers
FREE Jamie Proctor
FREE Mark Howard
FREE David Wheater
FREE Lewis Buxton
FREE Ben Alnwick
LOANED IN Andrew Taylor
LOANED IN Sammy Ameobi
LOANED IN Keshi Anderson
LOANED IN James Henry
LOANED IN Tom Thorpe

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ken Anderson - you've proven me wrong. Thank you sir!
It's September 1st. Don't get me wrong, we've had a good start to the season and I like the look of some of the players we've brought in (in particular Henry and Anderson - who looks to have scored goals regularly at every level he's played at), but ultimately this is still a team that has achieved nothing (both this season and, for the most part, their entire careers) and a board that has achieved nothing. I'm not saying they can't or they won't, but they haven't.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So, here's the transfer window ins and outs in total, as far as I can see:

OUT: 31
(21 released, 1 loan ended, 2 mutual termination, 3 transferred out, 4 loaned out)
RELEASED Paul Rachubka
RELEASED Ross Fitzsimons
RELEASED Hayden White
RELEASED Niall Maher
RELEASED Oscar Threlkeld
RELEASED David Wheater
RELEASED Quade Taylor
RELEASED Neil Danns
RELEASED Jordan Lussey
RELEASED Liam Feeney
RELEASED Rob Hall
RELEASED Emile Heskey
RELEASED Stephen Dobbie
RELEASED Tom Eaves
RELEASED Harry Campbell
RELEASED Jon Ceberio
RELEASED Channing Campbell-Young
RELEASED Jamie Thomas
RELEASED Yvan Wassi
RELEASED Chris Cvetko
RELEASED Alex Finney
LOAN ENDED Wellington Silva
MUTUAL Francesco Pisano
MUTUAL Filip Twardzik
SOLD Rob Holding
SOLD Tyler Garratt
SOLD Kaiyne Woolery
LOANED OUT George Newell
LOANED OUT Ben Amos
LOANED OUT Tom Walker
LOANED OUT Conor Wilkinson

UNMOVED: 12
Lawrie Wilson
Dorian Dervite
Dean Moxey
Josh Vela
Jay Spearing
Liam Trotter
Mark Davies
Gary Madine
Max Clayton
Derik Osede
Darren Pratley
Zach Clough

IN: 12
(7 frees, 2 loans to Jan, 3 loans to Jun)
FREE Chris Taylor
FREE Mark Beevers
FREE Jamie Proctor
FREE Mark Howard
FREE David Wheater
FREE Lewis Buxton
FREE Ben Alnwick
LOANED IN Andrew Taylor
LOANED IN Sammy Ameobi
LOANED IN Keshi Anderson
LOANED IN James Henry
LOANED IN Tom Thorpe
Nat Phillips (Jimmy's lad) was also released, and immediately got a 2 year contract at Liverpool. Always thought he was the most promising of the youngsters we let go.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
It's September 1st. Don't get me wrong, we've had a good start to the season and I like the look of some of the players we've brought in (in particular Henry and Anderson - who looks to have scored goals regularly at every level he's played at), but ultimately this is still a team that has achieved nothing (both this season and, for the most part, their entire careers) and a board that has achieved nothing. I'm not saying they can't or they won't, but they haven't.
Granted, though all the board can really do is appoint a good manager and support him as best they can in the market. They've done that.

In June when we had a full embargo still, no manager, owners seeming falling out, persistent rumours of significant financial issues, I thought we'd never be at the point of having a good manager, coaching staff and revamped squad by the end of August. But we have.

I agree there is a long way to go, but we can only really judge on the progress to date. And that has been good. Ultimately to be in a position already where fans are feeling a bit better and having a little hope is more than enough for now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:57 pm

^^
I agree there is a long way to go, but we can only really judge on the progress to date. And that has been good. Ultimately to be in a position already where fans are feeling a bit better and having a little hope is more than enough for now.
A glass half full hey, BWFCi................... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Riviman wrote:Nat Phillips (Jimmy's lad) was also released, and immediately got a 2 year contract at Liverpool. Always thought he was the most promising of the youngsters we let go.
I heard that we offered him a contract but he turned it down?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Well aren't you a right ray of sunshine.. :wink: :lol:
Pfffft.