MK Dons (H) 10/09/16 3pm - Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: MK Dons (H) 10/09/16 3pm - Match Thread

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Look how far we've come in a short time! 6 months ago we looked down and out, couldn't buy a goal let alone a result! we also thought me may not have a club to support!

I think what we've done so far is nothing short of phenomenal!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Agreed. Everything is about context. One thing to point out though is that Scunthorpe just beat Southend 4-0 at home. So whilst we've had a good start with the missing players we look currently less effective than some of our rivals.
Less affective but still top of the league. Well, that might be because half a dozen decent players are injured. Worth pointing out though that comparisons can't alway (even rarely) be used as a total yardstick, ie Team A beat Team B but lose to Team C, who then beat Team A, and so it goes on. We got off to a decent start and if it were all clear-cut we wouldn't need to play at all . It's a gamble, a competition beween teams of a certain level. Our level is, like it or not, League One and Sam Allardyce, J.J and Europe are scrapbook memories. Money being football's supreme deity and us having none might mean we'll never get back to past levels, that's Millennium football. How we look on a printed league table right against how we might look in a month is as much about others as about us. Our job is to match and beat the rest of our level. To get up there and talk about promotion is a big work in progress for months away, not a divine right.
Image :oyea: Bravo to both TD/PW. Agree with both comments
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Agreed. Everything is about context. One thing to point out though is that Scunthorpe just beat Southend 4-0 at home. So whilst we've had a good start with the missing players we look currently less effective than some of our rivals.
Less affective but still top of the league. Well, that might be because half a dozen decent players are injured. Worth pointing out though that comparisons can't alway (even rarely) be used as a total yardstick, ie Team A beat Team B but lose to Team C, who then beat Team A, and so it goes on. We got off to a decent start and if it were all clear-cut we wouldn't need to play at all . It's a gamble, a competition beween teams of a certain level. Our level is, like it or not, League One and Sam Allardyce, J.J and Europe are scrapbook memories. Money being football's supreme deity and us having none might mean we'll never get back to past levels, that's Millennium football. How we look on a printed league table right against how we might look in a month is as much about others as about us. Our job is to match and beat the rest of our level. To get up there and talk about promotion is a big work in progress for months away, not a divine right.
Well I agree. My point is not that we aren't doing well. But more that anyone with expectations that we are too good for this league is wide of the mark. We need to scrap for every point and every week is a battle. We are down here because we deserve to be and if we want to get out of it we must earn it. I certainly haven't seen us outclass a team yet. But we have been effective in getting results. Which is all that matters.

popeyedoyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by popeyedoyle » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:33 pm

DJBlu wrote:
popeyedoyle wrote:I'm more worried that we aren't keeping clean sheets because they win you games. We've scored in every game this season and a few more clean sheets would have had the points total looking healthy.
A clean sheet will only prevent a team from losing. You can't win a game 0-0. We need to score more goals.

1 goal from from 4-5 on target average isn't going to help.
We could score 3 goals every game mate but if we conceded 4 every game, no points. In the last two games at home one goal would be good enough if we kept clean sheets.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:41 pm

popeyedoyle wrote:In the last two games at home one goal would be good enough if we kept clean sheets.
One goal would ALWAYS be good enough if we kept clean sheets.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:42 pm

It is a bit of both. I think we've given sloppy goals away, say Southend game where a clean sheet really should have been kept.

But yesterday I don't think we were likely to stop them scoring as they caused enough problems to suggest they would and could.

The goals thing is also relevant. I think against Southend we had enough ball to score more.

I think in general we aren't ever going to be a free scoring side, but I'm relatively happy with our scoring in every game record. Just the one clean sheet looks a little poor. However I always say clean sheets are easier when your defenders think you are likely to score another one or two. Not when after seven minutes they believe that if they do slip up the win chance might have gone....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 pm

We look short a clinical finisher. We'd of beaten Southend with one - got to start putting some chances away.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:35 am

Who was our last clinical finisher , Anelka ? Sturridge ? Klasnic? Kevin Reeves ?
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:53 am

nelson66 wrote:Who was our last clinical finisher , Anelka ? Sturridge ? Klasnic? Kevin Reeves ?

Ngog! 8)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:43 am

I mean we do definitely lack that 20 goal a season striker. I'd argue though that in the last two games, whether we created enough genuine chances for that sort of striker anyway? I don't remember too many glaring misses. I remember a lot of good situations where the final ball was poor or we put a poor cross in.

Obviously a good finisher might make the space to allow the final delivery to be better but generally I think the issues with scoring are more to do with the final ball than they are the shot, most of the time.

Having said that if Henry gets going, Ameobi keeps up his "unpredictable" but exciting offerings and Anderson gets more into the game, I think we'll get there.

In my view our biggest weakness is once again the centre of midfield. MK Dons dominated sections of the game because our midfield was poor. Away from home we might get away with them dropping deeper and hitting on the break but for home games we need the midfield getting round the pitch all game. For half an hour they did, then at the end they did. In between Spearing was almost doing it on his own.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:48 am

I think a lot of teams in our division will find that they lack that 20 goal a season striker...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:57 am

thebish wrote:I think a lot of teams in our division will find that they lack that 20 goal a season striker...
4 out of the 6 teams promoted in the last two years from this league had 20+ goal a season strikers.

Of the two that didn't...

Burton did seem to share goals around with their top scorer bagging 12 but then two behind him bagging 8 each.

Bristol City, had one scoring 18 and another getting 15.

So a 20 goal a season man isn't essential but certainly a big help. We could probably recreate the Burton model I suspect by sharing goals around.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:06 am

nelson66 wrote:Who was our last clinical finisher , Anelka ? Sturridge ? Klasnic? Kevin Reeves ?
Who dat?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 am

Ha - thats me getting confused in my old age - Kevin Reeves was dead leg for Manchshitty - David Reeves was once 3/4 of the way to being a striker for Bolton Wanderers - please accept my apologies :spank:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:10 pm

We are top of the league and as yet we haven't played particularly well or got into our stride. Neither have we had a settled, first choice 11. I'm confident we'll get better. Much better.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:We are top of the league and as yet we haven't played particularly well or got into our stride. Neither have we had a settled, first choice 11. I'm confident we'll get better. Much better.
bravo!! :oyea:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:49 pm

We need to re-evaluate this midfield diamond. We were dominated in the second half yesterday and for 35 minutes of the 45, barely had a kick. They looked like they had more players on the pitch.

Proctor was pointless, Andersen a passenger and Henry looked like his lack of football had caught up with him. Vela did his drifting act with a good first half followed by his shit, evil twin coming out for the second half in his place.

Positives: Spearings corners caused problems. Ameobi apart from 1 wild, simple pass 15 yards off target looked head and shoulders above and we immeasurably improved when he came on. Beevers and Wheater continue to be a good partnership, although Wheater looked like his head fallen off for a 10 minute spell in the 2nd half, where I was convinced he'd get sent off.

all-in-all, a point gained against a team who looked better than us.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:We need to re-evaluate this midfield diamond. We were dominated in the second half yesterday and for 35 minutes of the 45, barely had a kick. They looked like they had more players on the pitch.

Proctor was pointless, Andersen a passenger and Henry looked like his lack of football had caught up with him. Vela did his drifting act with a good first half followed by his shit, evil twin coming out for the second half in his place.

Positives: Spearings corners caused problems. Ameobi apart from 1 wild, simple pass 15 yards off target looked head and shoulders above and we immeasurably improved when he came on. Beevers and Wheater continue to be a good partnership, although Wheater looked like his head fallen off for a 10 minute spell in the 2nd half, where I was convinced he'd get sent off.

Agree with most of this. We looked better when Parky switched to one up front and we abandoned the diamond. Wheater did have a mad period where it felt like the pace of Agard had gotten to him.

Ameobi is going to be frustrating....not sure can say much else about him. Bags of potential, end product....hmmmm.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:We need to re-evaluate this midfield diamond.
Indeed, which is why I'd've liked to see us try the 4-2-3-1 this weekend. And again: while set-piece goals are welcome, I make it that we haven't scored in open play in three games bar the dolly Southend gave us.

I man, I'm still chirpy and all, but we can do better.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:We need to re-evaluate this midfield diamond. We were dominated in the second half yesterday and for 35 minutes of the 45, barely had a kick. They looked like they had more players on the pitch.

Agree with most of this. We looked better when Parky switched to one up front and we abandoned the diamond. Wheater did have a mad period where it felt like the pace of Agard had gotten to him.

Ameobi is going to be frustrating....not sure can say much else about him. Bags of potential, end product....hmmmm.
Don't expect you to think highly of a flair player....
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"