The Academy - the future

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

The Academy - the future

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Thought I'd start a thread on the academy and it's the future.

The BeN has done a piece here - http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... elf_adrift_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? basically saying the academy could be downgraded. I think the saving would be half a million a year.

I understand the need to save money wherever we can, but I think the next few years is where the academy is most needed. To downgrade to put the money saved in to the 1st team is a gamble and I think short sighted. I like the idea of a supporter trust run academy affiliated to the club. The academy could be run by the trust with Jimmy running it and funded by the trust and sponsorship. The players could be loaned to the club or any other team and fees earned ploughed back in. I don't now the legalities of it, but might this be a way of helping the club without effectively funding a part of it?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Academy - the future

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:47 pm

More might be routed straight into first team training - so does that mean that we can reduce parts of the academy?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:58 pm

What do other teams do at this level? Similarly I'm not sure about downgrading it is a great long term plan but equally are there other ways of keeping the talent production going that work out a bit cheaper? I'm not sure down the years the academy has come close to justifying it's existence in terms of first team talent produced....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:50 pm

The argument against downgrading (besides unemployment etc) is that the lower your grade, the more severe a bumming you get if a Big Club want your academy lads. For that purpose the economics don't work out - I once calculated that you'd need to sell about 20 kids a year to cover costs. But that's also because the higher up the academy grading you go, the more funding you have to guarantee - in other words, in shock news, it's a rich man's game, but the Elite Player Performance Plan has made it even more so.

Here's a piece a Rochdale fan wrote for me on the EPPP.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:40 am

I think it should be closed down completely.

Any cost is too much when down at this level and the chances of any decent prospects coming to a first division clubs academy, slim to say the least.

Didn't Newcastle whilst Keegan was there only run a group of about 20 players at one time? That was something to do with cutting their cloth wasn't it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 am

Hoboh wrote:I think it should be closed down completely.

Any cost is too much when down at this level and the chances of any decent prospects coming to a first division clubs academy, slim to say the least.

Didn't Newcastle whilst Keegan was there only run a group of about 20 players at one time? That was something to do with cutting their cloth wasn't it?
Isn't that backwards? Aren't you more likely to bring young players through at this level? And more likely to need to also?

Keegan did that when they were a premiership side. Keegan was also a mentalist...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:19 am

Wouldn't go as far as Hoboh but I do think too much is made of the academy. ED reportedly spent shit loads on it and what has it produced? A handful of players who became part of a joke of a team that shamed the club.
Holding looks promising but remember Dorian Dervite and Titus Bramble played international U21 football. Never got the fuss about Vela, Walker is rubbish. Love Clough's skill but he hasn't convinced me he's capable of performing consistently in the first team.
I'd rather downgrade and spend the money on hungry up and coming players from elsewhere like Rioch did and that seems to be Parkinson's way too.
Hope Jimmy, Didsy and Zico stay on and keep trying but it's not produced enough for the investment and if we're skint we have greater priorities.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 am

LeverEnd wrote:Wouldn't go as far as Hoboh but I do think too much is made of the academy. ED reportedly spent shit loads on it and what has it produced? A handful of players who became part of a joke of a team that shamed the club.
Holding looks promising but remember Dorian Dervite and Titus Bramble played international U21 football. Never got the fuss about Vela, Walker is rubbish. Love Clough's skill but he hasn't convinced me he's capable of performing consistently in the first team.
I'd rather downgrade and spend the money on hungry up and coming players from elsewhere like Rioch did and that seems to be Parkinson's way too.
Hope Jimmy, Didsy and Zico stay on and keep trying but it's not produced enough for the investment and if we're skint we have greater priorities.
Given they've been here for a while working for the relatively fruitless academy one might deduce they are part of the problem?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:31 am

I thought Lifeline and Goldline paid for the academy? :conf:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:43 am

KA has decided not to downgrade the academy.
http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1457 ... g_academy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 am

TonyDomingos wrote:KA has decided not to downgrade the academy.
http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1457 ... g_academy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good.

That's all.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Good news.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:10 am

Not only is the Academy staying as category two, we're also hiring. And hiring openly, advertising and recruiting, rather than just filling the post with "someone the gaffer knows". Good.

• Professional Development Phase Coach*
• Academy Foundation Phase Lead Coach
• Various part-time Academy Coaches
• Senior Academy Performance Analyst

*Basically an U21/U18 coach – the Professional Development phase 17-21, the Youth Development phase is age 12-16, the Foundation phase is age 8-11. That said, I note that the Development phase is being tweaked slightly from next season, to more like U23 (at least at the top level, formerly known as the U21 Premier League, now to be known as the Premier League 2). Which sort of makes sense considering the average age of a player in the U21PL is 19.6 and the average age of a Premier League debut is 22.5: what should we do with those players in that gap, the cream of their generation but not yet trusted to play top-flight first-team football? Well, I guess some will stay in the Development league, but some will also be loaned out to lower-league clubs...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:00 pm

The u-23s - featuring Alnwick, Wilson and Derik - have beaten their QPR counterparts 6-1 this evening. Four goals for Alex Samizadeh.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:11 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:The u-23s - featuring Alnwick, Wilson and Derik - have beaten their QPR counterparts 6-1 this evening. Four goals for Alex Samizadeh.
Arsene Wenger will be on the phone already offering us £200 and a free trip to the Emirates....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Alex Samizadeh gotta be worth a look now surely?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:57 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Alex Samizadeh gotta be worth a look now surely?
I saw his brief cameo at Brentford towards the end of last season; looked a mile off there, although there were extenuating circumstances. He might do better in this league and in a winning (or, rather, not losing) side. But, he's tiny: at least 12 inches short of Parky's minimum height requirement.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Looks a powerfull figure though.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 am

Saw him last night in the U23s, two superb goals and two typical poacher goals being in the right area at the right time. Yes he is small but he's a natural goalscorer and must be worth a place on the bench on Saturday. He would bring something entirely different and his speed and skill frightens defenders. The "crowd" last night were certainly remarking to Phil P that Alex was worth a shout and Parky did have a big smile on his face!!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:30 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:Alex Samizadeh gotta be worth a look now surely?
I saw his brief cameo at Brentford towards the end of last season; looked a mile off there, although there were extenuating circumstances. He might do better in this league and in a winning (or, rather, not losing) side. But, he's tiny: at least 12 inches short of Parky's minimum height requirement.
He got about 10 minutes didn't he?

He'll get absolutely nothing out of that. we need to see this lad for 30/45 mins to see what he can do
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"