Clubs fight back at crazy Football League proposals

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Clubs fight back at crazy Football League proposals

Post by claus jensens guitar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:12 am

No mention of this from our club yet, but this week 5 football league teams created their own online survey of about 10 similar questions

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/B2L7K9M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CN8WPVD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DVSCLBF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9FFZZKX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PK8XFTH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the Walsall survey

1. Do you believe there should be a restructuring of the EFL?

2. The EFL propose increasing the number of teams across the professional game to either 100 or 108. Would you support this?

3. Do you believe there are too many fixtures in a season for EFL clubs?

4. If the changes meant fewer mid-week fixtures, would you support the proposals?

5. Do you think regionalisation should be considered to create a North/South competition?

6. Should a winter break be introduced?

7. Do you believe FA Cup fixtures (excluding replays) should be played mid-week or at weekends?

8. If the introduction of an additional division excluded Premier League 'B teams' and Premier League U23 Teams, would you support the idea?

9. How would you like Walsall Football Club to vote at the forthcoming EFL meetings?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Clubs fight back at crazy Football League proposals

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:08 pm

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope
4. Nope
5. Nope
6. Nope
7. Nope
8. See answer 1.
9. :conf: By saying yay or nay?
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:04 pm

So - you don't think FA cup fixtures should be played midweek or weekends? Monday? ;-)

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Yes Mondays.
Was that not clear from the nope?
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:30 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Yes Mondays.
Was that not clear from the nope?
huzzah! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Looks like a convoluted way of getting Premiership reserve teams into the league to me.

Tossers.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Looks like a convoluted way of getting Premiership reserve teams into the league to me.

Tossers.
Absolutely, unequivocally 'this'
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:16 am

boltonboris wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Looks like a convoluted way of getting Premiership reserve teams into the league to me.

Tossers.
Absolutely, unequivocally 'this'
I don't have an issue with a Man City buying a much smaller club(s) and using it/them as development/reserve side(s). This is what happens in baseball and I'd be ok with that. Albeit I'm not sure I'd want to follow Stoke/West Brom's reserves, so I'm saying it'd be ok for other clubs as long as it was other clubs. The Watford situation seems ok to me, though.

Having said that, first team squads playing Everton U21's in the cup is ridiculous!

Why not just have a proper reserves/U21's league? If the Wanderers' first team play alternate Saturdays at home, the reserves could play at the Macron on Saturdays when the first team wasn't there. If that happened, you'd be getting more use out of the venue, it would be promoted more, and more people might show up... isn't that what they want from the tinkering?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:22 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote: I don't have an issue with a Man City buying a much smaller club(s) and using it/them as development/reserve side(s).
Yeah, fcuk the history of the club. You telling me you'd be fine with it if we became Man Utd reserves?

If the rich clubs stopped stockpiling players then they wouldn't need fcuk the rest of football over in order to play them.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:57 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote: I don't have an issue with a Man City buying a much smaller club(s) and using it/them as development/reserve side(s).
Yeah, fcuk the history of the club. You telling me you'd be fine with it if we became Man Utd reserves?

If the rich clubs stopped stockpiling players then they wouldn't need fcuk the rest of football over in order to play them.
That's true. Having decent reserves leagues would be my preference but if the owners of Real Madrid wanted to buy BWFC, I think I'd be ok with that!

When Yaya Toure isn't in Man City's Champion's League squad you know things have gone crazy. It's that capitalism and sport thing.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:15 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

That's true. Having decent reserves leagues would be my preference but if the owners of Real Madrid wanted to buy BWFC, I think I'd be ok with that!

When Yaya Toure isn't in Man City's Champion's League squad you know things have gone crazy. It's that capitalism and sport thing.
This just perpetuates everything that is shit about football. That day is the one where we cease to be a football club competing for success and over 100 years of being an important part of a community. We just become an academy with lots of Deriks and Alonsos. If we're so desperate to have a Sturridge or Wilshire for a handful of games occasionally, that we're willing to give up our identity and history then I'm off to watch Chorley instead.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 am

^
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:41 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

This just perpetuates everything that is shit about football. That day is the one where we cease to be a football club competing for success and over 100 years of being an important part of a community. We just become an academy with lots of Deriks and Alonsos. If we're so desperate to have a Sturridge or Wilshire for a handful of games occasionally, that we're willing to give up our identity and history then I'm off to watch Chorley instead.
What he said.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:25 am

It's just owners. I'm not sure any of the current owners are from Bolton. They seem to be from down south. If you're going to have owners from other parts of the country and international owners, why not have international owners who also own other teams in other leagues?

I've not been following that closely but no-one seems to have a huge problem with what happened regarding ownership at Watford/Man City. Could well be wrong.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 am

Didn't realise I was being controversial :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:36 am

You're not simply talking about ownership, you're talking about us becoming a reserve outfit for a rich club so that they can give their stockpile of players some competitive football. Everything about Bolton Wanderers would be about what suits the latest greatest manager of Real Madrid. His players don't fancy Bolton, so lets try and move the club MK Dons style to somewhere more exciting. We're essentially Real Madrid C now, so lets change the badge and kit. We'd be Bolton Wanderers in name only, assuming they don't change that.

I don't mean this in a condescending 'bugger off and watch someone else way', but if watching the very top players is so important to you, that is available down the road.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:39 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Didn't realise I was being controversial :D
Nothing wrong with bringing it up, it's just something I would passionately oppose and think has no place in football. I believe the strength of the British game is it's depth of competitive leagues/divisions. We should proudly protect that, find ways to diminish the damage the Premiership money is doing, and make sure we don't simply sell the soul of football out to the highest bidder.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You're not simply talking about ownership, you're talking about us becoming a reserve outfit for a rich club so that they can give their stockpile of players some competitive football. Everything about Bolton Wanderers would be about what suits the latest greatest manager of Real Madrid. His players don't fancy Bolton, so lets try and move the club MK Dons style to somewhere more exciting. We're essentially Real Madrid C now, so lets change the badge and kit. We'd be Bolton Wanderers in name only, assuming they don't change that.

I don't mean this in a condescending 'bugger off and watch someone else way', but if watching the very top players is so important to you, that is available down the road.
I keep mentioning Watford and no-one's told me if that's good or bad.

Obviously, changing the badge would be a nightmare, glad that's never happened to BWFC! :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:45 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You're not simply talking about ownership, you're talking about us becoming a reserve outfit for a rich club so that they can give their stockpile of players some competitive football. Everything about Bolton Wanderers would be about what suits the latest greatest manager of Real Madrid. His players don't fancy Bolton, so lets try and move the club MK Dons style to somewhere more exciting. We're essentially Real Madrid C now, so lets change the badge and kit. We'd be Bolton Wanderers in name only, assuming they don't change that.

I keep mentioning Watford and no-one's told me if that's good or bad.

Obviously, changing the badge would be a nightmare, glad that's never happened to BWFC! :D
I'm not fully up-to-date on their story, but the fact they were able to loan and entire team in a few seasons back was wrong. It's a distortion of the division and the only real benefit was to the other team and owners.

The governing bodies can try anything they like to rebrand, revitalise or whatever, but the fact of the matter is, the lower divisions are not commercially attractive because the be all and end all is the Premiership and Champions League. Leave the football alone and concentrate on the distribution of money in the game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:13 am

A survey wrote:1. Do you believe there should be a restructuring of the EFL?
Yes
2. The EFL propose increasing the number of teams across the professional game to either 100 or 108. Would you support this?
Yes - 100, across five professional divisions
3. Do you believe there are too many fixtures in a season for EFL clubs?
Yes
4. If the changes meant fewer mid-week fixtures, would you support the proposals?
Yes
5. Do you think regionalisation should be considered to create a North/South competition?
No
6. Should a winter break be introduced?
Yes for the Premier League, not for the EFL
7. Do you believe FA Cup fixtures (excluding replays) should be played mid-week or at weekends?
Weekends, thanks to quieter league calendar
8. If the introduction of an additional division excluded Premier League 'B teams' and Premier League U23 Teams, would you support the idea?
Yes
9. How would you like Walsall Football Club to vote at the forthcoming EFL meetings?
I'd like them to make the final question much less vague
EDIT Misread a question (cheers AW)
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.