NFL

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

NFL

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

It's a sport that's intrigued me in the past but I haven't quite managed to catch the bug. This year, though, I thought that I might as well give it another go, even if it's only so I have something to watch on a Sunday night.

Does anyone else on here follow it, and if so, which team do you follow?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: NFL

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:31 am

San Diego Chargers!

I've said before that they're quite similar to the Wanderers. There was drama recently when the owner threatened to move them to Los Angeles, that was at a similar kind of time to the Wanderers getting taken over.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:58 am

I've tried to get into it (don't know why, maybe to jump on the bandwagon), but I just can't. I struggle too much to 1) know what the fvck is going on and most importantly, 2) to be interested in it.

One thing I like is the never ending use of statistics that show up next to a players face when they're on screen. Pretty interesting stuff
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Caught the bug when I was over there last year. Took me a while to get up to speed but I'm almost there now, though some things still elude me.

Chose to be a Bills fan which has proved to be a terrible decision. At least I'm used to crap defence and a blunt offense. 0-2 and have the Pats and Cardinals next. Oh dear.

If you can NFL Redzone is a good thing to get for the Sunday games. Essentially like a live highlights show, so you get to see a lot of different games without sitting through all the three-and-outs and that. A decent way to introduce newbies to it.

Also NFL absolutel cr*ps on other sports organizations in terms of providing highlights, which I think again is a decent way to get introduced to the sport.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Does it stand for "Not Fcuking Likely?"

Tried in the 80's to watch it when Channel 4 thought it would be a good idea. I watch both codes of rugby, and I'd rather either. As for "football" they can fcuk right off.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Used to watch it on Channel 4 back in the 90's when it was on a Monday night. No strong affiliation but liked the Redskins better than most. In London most followed LA Raiders or SF 49ers.

For a brief spell I watch the London Monarchs competing in the European League. They played games at Wembley, White Hart Lane and a (pre-development) Stamford Bridge.

My favourite game was at Wembley watching the Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills play a pre-season exhibition game. It was bedlam as a group of us basically went to get heavily drunk and leer after the DC Cheerleaders. Oh my!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Used to watch it on Channel 4 back in the 90's when it was on a Monday night. No strong affiliation but liked the Redskins better than most. In London most followed LA Raiders or SF 49ers.

For a brief spell I watch the London Monarchs competing in the European League. They played games at Wembley, White Hart Lane and a (pre-development) Stamford Bridge.

My favourite game was at Wembley watching the Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills play a pre-season exhibition game. It was bedlam as a group of us basically went to get heavily drunk and leer after the DC Cheerleaders. Oh my!
The Oakland Raiders have been my team since 1964 before the NFL was formed. There have been ups and downs (lately mostly downs). It is true, Gary, that they were the LA Raiders for a while but have been in Oakland for the last 20 years.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:04 pm

what's all this kerfuffle about kneeling for the star spangled banner? do 'Muricans always stand wqith hand on heart when they hear it??

anybody would think they'd burned the flag and shoved the ashes up the president's arse, or summat...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:28 pm

thebish wrote:what's all this kerfuffle about kneeling for the star spangled banner? do 'Muricans always stand with hand on heart when they hear it??
Yes.

I'm afraid they do. Odd to us, but they do.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:33 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:what's all this kerfuffle about kneeling for the star spangled banner? do 'Muricans always stand with hand on heart when they hear it??
Yes.

When I was young in England we were taught to stand for the National Anthem and remove our hats. We may still do that. I expect it seems odd to some people.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Yes.

it's odd that they see kneeling as so utterly offensive - it's generally a mark of respect!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 pm

thebish wrote:

it's odd that they see kneeling as so utterly offensive - it's generally a mark of respect!
They probably think Gen-Uflect was a Korean soldier..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Caught the bug when I was over there last year. Took me a while to get up to speed but I'm almost there now, though some things still elude me.

Chose to be a Bills fan which has proved to be a terrible decision. At least I'm used to crap defence and a blunt offense. 0-2 and have the Pats and Cardinals next. Oh dear.

If you can NFL Redzone is a good thing to get for the Sunday games. Essentially like a live highlights show, so you get to see a lot of different games without sitting through all the three-and-outs and that. A decent way to introduce newbies to it.

Also NFL absolutel cr*ps on other sports organizations in terms of providing highlights, which I think again is a decent way to get introduced to the sport.
Defo this - highlights are available within hours usually.

Caught the bug when I went to Chicago a couple of years ago, watching Da Bears win at the 49ers in a bar in the Ukrainian Village. Now I'm a Bears fan. Looking at the way 2016 has started I think we'll be there or thereabouts for a 1st/2nd/3rd pick in next year's first round draft, and hopefully it'll be a shit hot QB.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Brady's back then, and torches Cleveland as per.

Pittsburgh offense looks terrifying. If Coates didn't have stone hands they would be unstoppable.

Falcons beat Broncos in somewhat of a surprise. Can we now talk about Atlanta being a real threat?

Buffalo defense continues to go underappreciated. For all the talk of Denver and Minnesota, the trio of Hughes, Brown and Alexander is monstering teams.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:22 pm

I'd rather smear myself in pigshit.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:31 pm

Have you ever done that before?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:37 pm

Yes, at every mention of someone or others "offense".
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 pm

No offense intended.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:48 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Brady's back then, and torches Cleveland as per.

Pittsburgh offense looks terrifying. If Coates didn't have stone hands they would be unstoppable.

Falcons beat Broncos in somewhat of a surprise. Can we now talk about Atlanta being a real threat?

Buffalo defense continues to go underappreciated. For all the talk of Denver and Minnesota, the trio of Hughes, Brown and Alexander is monstering teams.
Absolutely Atlanta look the real deal. Not sure beating the Broncos was a huge shock. Superbowl winners are usually broken apart bit by bit in the following seasons (aren't they?). The form of the Panthers is the big shock (I think Atlanta has defeated them this season too?) considering how good their offense was last year. The Vikings do look the real deal and that trade they made to get a new QB after the season-ending injury to their top QB shows that they think that this is their year. Fecking Minnesota. Doin it for Prince!

The Bears are still dogger, probably the worst in the NFL.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:16 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Brady's back then, and torches Cleveland as per.

Atlanta beat my Raiders on a fluke deflection to start the season but I'm not sure beating Oakland makes one a threat. Still no one else has done it this season. :wink: