Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:01 pm

In the land of green and plenty, peace and goodwill, neighbours getting along with others free to stick their nose into something not of their business.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... Luxembourg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The marvellous EU.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:19 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... luxembourg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your link was broken, Hoboh.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Never going to happen
Juncker's plans for an EU army, which he set out to MEPs earlier today.
Yet another remain myth busted.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Hoboh wrote:Never going to happen
It was never going to happen because we would veto it. Now we're leaving they don't have to give a shit what we think.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:55 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
It was never going to happen because we would veto it. Now we're leaving they don't have to give a shit what we think.
They have very few veto's now QMV is the EU way.

They would have happily gone on without us anyway, sooner or later we would have to have spent money and time ensuring we could operate in the field with them.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:18 am

Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
They have very few veto's now QMV is the EU way.

They would have happily gone on without us anyway, sooner or later we would have to have spent money and time ensuring we could operate in the field with them.
It requires all member states to agree, so it couldn't happen unless we agreed or left and the others agreed. So its not a busted myth as you stated.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:23 am

Hoboh wrote:

I agree - it would be a disaster if our army was capable of operating in the field with our European allies anytime in the future. I'm glad we put a stop to that lunacy! :oyea:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:45 am

And herein lies yet another fantasy. All these things we're told we can no longer afford as a country. How soon before that includes the military?

No doubt hoboh would be happy to defend his dogma to the point of all our poverty.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:42 am

Lord Kangana wrote:And herein lies yet another fantasy. All these things we're told we can no longer afford as a country. How soon before that includes the military?

No doubt hoboh would be happy to defend his dogma to the point of all our poverty.
I would not build the trident replacement, nor publicly fund HS-2

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:55 am

But this government is doing both.

So how do we pay for a large, well-equiped, totally independent army with the capability to act unilateraly around the world without recourse to co-operation from our allies?

Because we already don't have that. To do so would require investment and economies way beyond the examples you've given above.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:But this government is doing both.

So how do we pay for a large, well-equiped, totally independent army with the capability to act unilateraly around the world without recourse to co-operation from our allies?

Because we already don't have that. To do so would require investment and economies way beyond the examples you've given above.
NATO

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:27 pm

If Trump gets in, now looking likely, he has plans to lower the input of America into NATO.

Where would that leave us then?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:If Trump gets in, now looking likely, he has plans to lower the input of America into NATO.

Where would that leave us then?
In NATO. Possibly a NATO where its members actually paid its fair share.

Which I'd still trust over 26 diverse nations each with their own issues, opinions and prejudices.

Only yesterday we had the inestimable might of Luxembourg demanding Hungary be turfed out for not following a party line it never agreed to. W@nkets.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:54 pm

Just home from our Q3 meeting. The overall effect that the change in the £/€ exchange rate has had in the past few months is the equivalent of us having imposed a 7.5% price increase.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:58 pm

So you're doing well out of it?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:42 pm

boltonboris wrote:So you're doing well out of it?
At the moment, Boris, yes we are.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:26 pm

There is a huge amount of water to go under a large number of bridges. But this is interesting. The OECD revise their views that the economy will simy go to rat-shit ;

Article from The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... turn-on-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I felt that, if there was an out vote (& I repeat, I didn't expect that) then there would be a period of uncertainty probably of 12 to 24 months but recall saying here that either way we wouldn't become a basket case. Seems that's correct.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 pm

I'm not sure many on here were predicting "rat-shit" despite being told that's what we were saying. We still haven't left yet. 2017's prediction has been revised downwards. Until any bugger can tell us what out will look like, it's going to be difficult to understand the impact. Immigration is still high and the NHS hasn't been given £350m per week. Fuel still has VAT on it.

We know little has changed, because nothing has changed yet. Tomorrow, I reckon Thursday will happen. Be back tomorrow to tell you I was right.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:28 pm

That's odd, Worthy, I woke up this morning and wandered outside to get the paper in the clear, crisp morning air thinking that it was Thursday. To be sure, I checked the calendar and the date on the newspaper's masthead and found that it was. It still is. ;)

Prior to your referendum one AUD would buy about 52p. Now it buys about 58p. So a degradation of around 10%. Ergo, someone thinks ill of the result - instigated or not.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:18 am

My other half works for a company doing most of its business internationally Dujon, and therefore uses the dollar as their base. Theres talk of redundancies, streamlinings (whatever weasel words they're using this week for putting people out of work) because they're getting smashed all over town. Interestingly, custom hasn't dropped despite price hikes. But how long that is sustainable is another issue.

The basic problem is that we're still in the EU. We're using economic data that reflects the benefits of still being in the EU. And of a quantative easing programme designed to smooth out any adverse effects of the referendum result. Undoubtedly Britain will survive, but we've given ourselves a decade of unnecessary work with an uncertain list of indefinable benefits.

Still, at least we haven't got the prospect of Trump as president. Theres that to cling to.