For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Low risk punt. "Youth" football now U23 not U21. And we released a lot over summer while we pondered downgrading.

No idea what Rovers are doing but it wouldn't surprise me if it was wrong. For our part, a worthwhile low-risk gamble.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Low risk punt. "Youth" football now U23 not U21. And we released a lot over summer while we pondered downgrading.

No idea what Rovers are doing but it wouldn't surprise me if it was wrong. For our part, a worthwhile low-risk gamble.
Agreed. Whilst knowing not a thing of these two.

It still remains a shame that, in the early close-season at our very lowest ebb, we released 2 or 3 who may have made it.

Still ... there you go ... & welcome.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:17 pm

^^ We may have had a different cash flow profile then, and had to shunt 'em (even though they were only likely to be very low wage)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:25 pm

They must be shite at ping-pong.
May the bridges I burn light your way

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Leon osman to sign apparently.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:55 pm

I think you have to be slightly wary of anyone who plummets two divisions at his age. It could be that he's held on at Everton for as long as he could (aided by better players), and is now completely shot.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect him to come in and run the show, but we need midfielders and given there's no loan window it wouldn't shock me if he's the best currently available.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I think you have to be slightly wary of anyone who plummets two divisions at his age. It could be that he's held on at Everton for as long as he could (aided by better players), and is now completely shot.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect him to come in and run the show, but we need midfielders and given there's no loan window it wouldn't shock me if he's the best currently available.
I'm wary of signing a 35 year old to come and solve our midfield issue. Which is, a lack of energy and running. So yeah....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I think you have to be slightly wary of anyone who plummets two divisions at his age. It could be that he's held on at Everton for as long as he could (aided by better players), and is now completely shot.

I'm wary of signing a 35 year old to come and solve our midfield issue. Which is, a lack of energy and running. So yeah....
He'll be better at that than Trotter. Clearly we'd love to sign better but 35year olds can still run.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He'll be better at that than Trotter. Clearly we'd love to sign better but 35year olds can still run.
I don't care how old he is, he'll be twice as enthusiastic, energetic, mobile and be a much better passer & footballer than both Trotter & Vela so its a yes from me

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Anyway it might be one of those slightly underwhelming signings which turns out to be great. Like the opposite so far of our deadline day efforts!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Given Gary Speed could run rings round our current lot at 38, I'm very prepared to give the fella a chance. He was a pretty decent player from memory that could score a goal here and there.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:43 pm

He's naturally very, very fit. Just doesn't sprint quickly enough for the Premier League anymore. Would be a good addition I reckon.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm

boltonboris wrote:He's naturally very, very fit. Just doesn't sprint quickly enough for the Premier League anymore. Would be a good addition I reckon.
Is there any reason why he's not got a gig in the Championship?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Maybe because he's slowed down and is a bit long in the tooth?

Who cares anyway, if he could get a gig in the championship, we wouldn't have a sniff
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:56 pm

If he can play forwards in then personally I couldn't give a shiny shite how old he is.
May the bridges I burn light your way

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't care how old he is, he'll be twice as enthusiastic, energetic, mobile and be a much better passer & footballer than both Trotter & Vela so its a yes from me

Agreed! very good player!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ageist. :D I'm 52 and still put in an hour's shift at 5-a-side every Monday. Actually, I don't suppose you've got PP's number to hand? I have a cunning plan .....
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:24 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ageist. :D I'm 52 and still put in an hour's shift at 5-a-side every Monday. Actually, I don't suppose you've got PP's number to hand? I have a cunning plan .....
Quite.
At 35 I cold still run around a lot as well. I'd be fecked with a ball at my feet mind.
At 41 however I split my too tight jeans sitting down at the octagon theatre last night, but that's fine cos no one is suggesting a 6 year contract.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:12 am

This is the thread that just keeps on giving! Let's hope that this time the gift's worth having. For a change.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:36 am

LeverEnd wrote:At 41 however I split my too tight jeans sitting down at the octagon theatre last night, but that's fine cos no one is suggesting a 6 year contract.
...although a few shocked observers suggested a six-year jail sentence :D