They're not real lions, they're Dogs - Millwall (H) 19/11/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: They're not real lions, they're Dogs - Millwall (H) 19/1

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:Millwall's defence was dreadful!
Yup, it's all them! how about the way we played may have, just may have nullified them a bit????
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Andrew Taylor was great yet again yesterday. If I was Parky, I'd already be in his ear about agreeing a permanent deal with us when his contract expires.

I'd also be in Ameobi's ear about asking to see more from him. For the first hour yesterday, he was so ineffective that he might as well not have been on the pitch, but then he burst into action, barely breaking sweat as glided past two or three of their men. It's so bloody frustrating because he's comfortably good enough win matches on his own if only he'd take the initiative. Perhaps it's a confidence thing?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Anyone got any stats?

I reckon BWFC has more 'sicknotes' than most, why?

I mean it's not like we operate at high speed and on on the edge is it.
See the highlights above, you alarmingly idiotic, unintelligent gentleman!
Most of the 'football' in the highlights was standard fair for a reasonable team, yes we pulled it off successfully but go on, when do we ever play like that consistently?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Anyone got any stats?

I reckon BWFC has more 'sicknotes' than most, why?

I mean it's not like we operate at high speed and on on the edge is it.
See the highlights above, you alarmingly idiotic, unintelligent gentleman!
Most of the 'football' in the highlights was standard fair for a reasonable team, yes we pulled it off successfully but go on, when do we ever play like that consistently?
We probably work harder than a lot of teams in the league. We don't have the luxury of relying on a 20 goal striker. The running of likes of Vela, Spearing etc is huge.

Personally I think we do an awful lot of graft.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Nicko58 wrote:Andrew Taylor was great yet again yesterday. If I was Parky, I'd already be in his ear about agreeing a permanent deal with us when his contract expires.

I'd also be in Ameobi's ear about asking to see more from him. For the first hour yesterday, he was so ineffective that he might as well not have been on the pitch, but then he burst into action, barely breaking sweat as glided past two or three of their men. It's so bloody frustrating because he's comfortably good enough win matches on his own if only he'd take the initiative. Perhaps it's a confidence thing?
Yeah I was really impressed with Taylor yesterday, definitely one to keep hold of if we can.

Ameobi reminds me of a guy from the early 90s that used to play for Huddersfield. Ife Onoura. On his day he could win a game almost single handedly but too often, you'd just see glimpses of what he could do and be ultimately frustrated. If he gets more consistency to his game though he'll be too good for this level
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Not being able to get to the game, I was going to ask if Ameobi looked as good all game as on the highlights....guess I have my answer. When he runs at folks, he seems to do so with pace and terrifies them.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:Andrew Taylor was great yet again yesterday. If I was Parky, I'd already be in his ear about agreeing a permanent deal with us when his contract expires.

Yeah I was really impressed with Taylor yesterday, definitely one to keep hold of if we can.

Ameobi reminds me of a guy from the early 90s that used to play for Huddersfield. Ife Onoura. On his day he could win a game almost single handedly but too often, you'd just see glimpses of what he could do and be ultimately frustrated. If he gets more consistency to his game though he'll be too good for this level
Nickname 'Smells a bit'.
I remember him absolutely murdering Phil Brown at Leeds Road once. Sunbed nailed him early on but no effect, just got up and destroyed him.
Ameobi had a poor first half but was superb in the 2nd. He's putting a shift in covering the full back too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 am

Interviewed Iffy a few times - nice bloke. He went on to manage Ethiopia, which made for some interesting cows-on-the-pitch anecdotes.

Bruce: I'm trying to imagine Tony Philliskirk scoring 20 goals as a solo striker in this system, and I'm struggling: we'd struggle to get the penetration needed to create those loose balls in the box. I loved TP to pieces but boy did he need others to put the work in for him – including David Reeves, who couldn't hit a cow's banjo with a metaphor but did the running for his Bros-mate. You can have that sort of player in a 4-4-2 (but then you lose midfield battles) or 3-5-2 (but then, well, look what happened under Lennon).

Now, if you'd said John McGinlay... not just because he's a folk hero (Ivan Campo wouldn't be a good fit up front) but because he harried and held up. And even JM struggled when played as a lone striker as Todd cast around for formulae in 1995/6.

None of which is to say that Madine is the only answer; another striker may be the key signing in January, unless we discover that neither Derik nor Thorpe (nor, er, the lesser-spotted Dervite?) can replace Wheater.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 am

Ameobi is, to me, this year's David Lee. He's either a game changer or a waste of space. Either terrifies defences when running at them or looks a bit of a tool.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Ameobi is, to me, this year's David Lee. He's either a game changer or a waste of space. Either terrifies defences when running at them or looks a bit of a tool.
He's slow on sussing teams and players out. I'd be showing him videos of future opponents and their weaknesses so he's got a head start.

When he finds that weakness he'll exploit it until he's sussed out, which is anyone's guess as to how long that is.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:33 am

Ameobi sort of reminds me of Paolo Wanchope!!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interviewed Iffy a few times - nice bloke. He went on to manage Ethiopia, which made for some interesting cows-on-the-pitch anecdotes.

Bruce: I'm trying to imagine Tony Philliskirk scoring 20 goals as a solo striker in this system, and I'm struggling: we'd struggle to get the penetration needed to create those loose balls in the box. I loved TP to pieces but boy did he need others to put the work in for him – including David Reeves, who couldn't hit a cow's banjo with a metaphor but did the running for his Bros-mate. You can have that sort of player in a 4-4-2 (but then you lose midfield battles) or 3-5-2 (but then, well, look what happened under Lennon).

Now, if you'd said John McGinlay... not just because he's a folk hero (Ivan Campo wouldn't be a good fit up front) but because he harried and held up. And even JM struggled when played as a lone striker as Todd cast around for formulae in 1995/6.

None of which is to say that Madine is the only answer; another striker may be the key signing in January, unless we discover that neither Derik nor Thorpe (nor, er, the lesser-spotted Dervite?) can replace Wheater.
I really feel we do need something else up front and personally, if anyone wants him, I'd let Clough go.

I really like the lad, he's got a great touch and always puts the effort in, but i think this level is beneath him.

He did very little again on Saturday but that's not surprising when a lot of the ball is going over his head and when he does get it, the opposition just chop him down.

He needs to go to a better footballing team where he'll come on and hopefully we could do something with the transfer fee.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:45 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Ameobi is, to me, this year's David Lee. He's either a game changer or a waste of space. Either terrifies defences when running at them or looks a bit of a tool.
To be fair, that probably describes every winger outside the top 6 in the Premier League and possibly even some of those!

Wingers will always be inconsistent. Except for the freaks like Ronaldo, the only consistency comes from the shit ones
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Ameobi is working hard. And has moments of magic. I'm happy with what he does. I mean he's never, ever going to consistently produce. If he was, we'd not have him at this level.

He provides good cover for the full back and I think is our best, arguably only outlet since he can hold onto the ball in tight areas.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 pm

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks Monty. Clearest yet.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:24 pm

:nws: By any stretch of the imagination.

I'll just leave this here though, for the benefit of those of you that haven't had first hand experience of this sub-breed.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Speechless. Totally and utterly speechless. That woman is absolute scum!

You probably deserved your treatment though. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Speechless. Totally and utterly speechless. That woman is absolute scum!

You probably deserved your treatment though. :mrgreen:
They're as soft as shite when compared to 'The Rock'. :)