A Load of Cobblers - Northampton Town (A) 26/11/16 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: A Load of Cobblers - Northampton Town (A) 26/11/16 @ 3pm

Post by nelson66 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:28 pm

nelson66 wrote:when Parky got the job I was like WHO ????
now
I tip my hat to the man
He's made a silk purse out of a sows ear
Given our team a plan A B and C
Installed discipline all over the pitch
Sorted the wheat from the chaffe
I always liked Big Sams mantra of clean sheets - stop them from scoring and you always have the chance of nicking a goal and winning - it appears as though Parky sings from the same hymn sheet

I have been angry and disillusioned for a long time now (since Megson) but at last I think its time to believe

Parky - I'm now a believer
In Parky we trust
:pray:
Please accept my sincere apologies for such an enthusiastic post - the result of a bout of alcohol fueled optimism
Normal service has now been resumed

We're domed !! :P
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:^^ Aye, I wonder how many years we've been saying that the oppo scoring none, improves your chances of winning. We don't even have a forward putting the ball in the net. Owen Coyle can stick his you score 2 and we'll score 3 shoite, right up his arsehole.
Been saying this ages on here and was routinely shouted down. We had to be practical. We don't have the tools to play total football. Being organised and physical and having one or two players who can make the difference up there is the way to go.

We very much want this to be a marathon about consistency rather than everyone matching us till a sprint finish. I doubt we have the tools to outshoot someone in a sprint. But we have the resilience now to outlast others, hopefully.
Not by me mate. Although I still don't think that you have to be over 6ft tall all over the field to accomplish it. :-)

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Know it doesn't belong here!! Cba starting a new thread! But 20 yrs ago today,we were handing Spurs a 6-1 mauling!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:^^ Aye, I wonder how many years we've been saying that the oppo scoring none, improves your chances of winning. We don't even have a forward putting the ball in the net. Owen Coyle can stick his you score 2 and we'll score 3 shoite, right up his arsehole.
Been saying this ages on here and was routinely shouted down. We had to be practical. We don't have the tools to play total football. Being organised and physical and having one or two players who can make the difference up there is the way to go.

We very much want this to be a marathon about consistency rather than everyone matching us till a sprint finish. I doubt we have the tools to outshoot someone in a sprint. But we have the resilience now to outlast others, hopefully.
Not by me mate. Although I still don't think that you have to be over 6ft tall all over the field to accomplish it. :-)
You need an element of physicality throughout your side. Last season routinely noticed we were small compared to the opponents during the lineups. This season we definitely look more physically competitive.

Spine of Beevers, Thorpe/Derik, Madine is imposing. Although smaller Spearing also. And Taylor.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 pm

There's no way I'm having Derik described as imposing. The fella is a Spanish Bert from Sesame Street :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:06 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Know it doesn't belong here!! Cba starting a new thread! But 20 yrs ago today,we were handing Spurs a 6-1 mauling!
Remember it well, Jonny. When Scott Taylor comes off of the bench to put the 6th in then you know that you've had your arse hended back to you. :D

Gerry Francis still has the same haircut, by the way. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
nelson66 wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 0-1-bolton

nice ball from Ameobi

good finish from Clough
Not available outside the UK. All I could find was this Vlog. It may amuse some of your - indeed some of you may be featured.

Highlights for foreigners are here.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:22 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:There's no way I'm having Derik described as imposing. The fella is a Spanish Bert from Sesame Street :shock:
As a centre half, maybe. But central midfield he's decent enough in the air and a physical presence in that role.

Screens the back four and wins headers in front of them. Not the best in the air admittedly, but like Campo for a midfield player he's competitive there.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:There's no way I'm having Derik described as imposing. The fella is a Spanish Bert from Sesame Street :shock:
As a centre half, maybe. But central midfield he's decent enough in the air and a physical presence in that role.

Screens the back four and wins headers in front of them. Not the best in the air admittedly, but like Campo for a midfield player he's competitive there.
I'm not disputing he does a decent job, but in no way is he imposing, which was the word I was disputing.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Didn't go yesterday, but from what I have read and been told we still need a striker. Madine again is not the answer to score goals. I watch him closely but I'm still in doubt as to what he even contributes? They fans who sit close by are always telling me he works hard? maybe so but he's still not good enough full stop. PS. Proctor is worse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Sixfields is almost comical.
That's so 'not' something I'd expect to read from you, especially. They used to play on the outfield of Northant's cricket field.
Mate, you obviously hold me to higher standards than you expect from others... or indeed football grounds :D

In all seriousness, as I hurtle toward senility I'm becoming increasingly interested in the built environment. Not in a snobbish way based on a hierarchy of perception – I'd prefer a good honest incinerator to a high-falutin' bridge or bank - but in terms of what works. Going round a few new (to me) grounds this season (Wimbledon, Bristol R, Walsall, Swindon, Northampton) has been almost as much fun as not watching us get hammered. I find it interesting to grade my reaction to these places of regular mass usage, these built environments.

And Sixfields is fairly comical.

They've somehow managed to build it far enough up a hill to be exposed (especially for the home end) but not quite far enough up to be at the top, so you can quite easily stand above it and watch the match for free.

The stadium as a whole is a quickly chucked-up breezeblock job that the architect must have taken all of an hour sketching out. The home end is about 15 steps deep. So's the away end.

As you descend the hill outside the single-tier main stand there's a bloke in a Punch & Judy programme hutch.

There's a signpost outside the single-tier main stand, pointing to the ground in case your brain has refused to acknowledge it. At least the main stand doesn't just go for the total breezeblock exterior; at each end of the first-floor level there's a strange glass atrium, presumably where the home fans mill around at half-time drinking warm nitro-keg lager in the dying embers of the setting sun. It hasn't aged well and the whole effect is somewhat like an 80s swimming baths - think of that one in Bolton that got knocked down.

The stand opposite the main stand - imaginatively named the East Stand – isn't finished, with a big gap above the seats as if they can't decide whether to add another tiny tier or just block out the views. Did somebody order the wrong roof?

Once inside the ground, you also have to put up with various trappings of modernity – a frankly nonsensical number of flags are handed out for children to wave incessantly while standing around the pitch looking increasingly bored; there are two mascots, Mick the Skip and some dragon thing (because Cobblers, right?); Mick the Skip, who looks like Bob the Builder laid low by the economic downturn, is there because of the match sponsors, whose input also ensures that at half-time they do that kicking-the-ball-in-the-skip thing.

But all that nonsense is par for the course at most grounds, including ours. Here it just feels like an attempt to polish a breezeblock.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:as I hurtle toward senility
:drink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
They've somehow managed to build it far enough up a hill to be exposed (especially for the home end) but not quite far enough up to be at the top, so you can quite easily stand above it and watch the match for free.
I remember when they drew Man U in the cup and put a fecking big fence up to stop people from doing exactly that :D

To be fair I'm not sure that I've actually been impressed by anybody's new ground to date.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Brighton's is lovely!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:Brighton's is lovely!
Haven't been. Did visit the Withdean once though which was a lot like Leverhume park with additional seats.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Brighton's is a good ground which puts the fans first - good ale (apparently), food etc. It's in the middle of nowhere, but that's typical these days, and they had to fight hard to get in anywhere, so good luck to 'em.

I do quite like a characterful old ground - Bristol Rovers was memorably odd, Swindon had its curious corners. Not that I'm a reactionary - there's also something weirdly winning about Millwall's brusque functionalism, which certainly fits in with the vernacular (incinerator, railway lines, dead space, caravans, barbed wire).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Brighton's is a good ground which puts the fans first
Heard a very decent interview with Paul Fletcher a couple of weeks ago. They dragged him in during the planning stage to garner his opinion regarding the design of the Olympic Stadium - then chose to completely ignore him.
He advised them to build a football stadium that was capable of hosting a fortnight's worth of athletics (as they did with the CoM Stadium), so of course, they did the exact opposite.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Walsall doing us a favour so far, 1 nil up at halftime at Sheff Utd, who would overtake us in 2nd with a win. C'mon the Saddlers!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Walsall doing us a favour so far, 1 nil up at halftime at Sheff Utd, who would overtake us in 2nd with a win. C'mon the Saddlers!
And Walsall hang on to win! That's the Blades' game in hand gone.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Walsall doing us a favour so far, 1 nil up at halftime at Sheff Utd, who would overtake us in 2nd with a win. C'mon the Saddlers!
And Walsall hang on to win! That's the Blades' game in hand gone.
Sharp missed a late pen too. The L1 table will make pleasant reading for the next 11 days!!