Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:49 pm

I noticed Jermaine hadn't done much at PNE this season. Looking forward to seeing his performance on c5 tonight though!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Poor Curzon Ashton. 3-0 up with 10 mins to go - AFC Wimbledon just gone 4-3 up in the 94th minute.

And it's all over.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Poor Curzon Ashton. 3-0 up with 10 mins to go - AFC Wimbledon just gone 4-3 up in the 94th minute.

And it's all over.
One of the difficulties of being AWOL for over fifty years is one has no idea of some of these clubs. Curzon? There was a diplomat who ordered the Polish-Russia border - is there a town named for him? Ashton? Well, there is Under Lyme near the other Newcastle and good old Ashton in Makerfield (near Haydock Park). Who are they? :conf: Oh well, they lost and I seem to recall Wimbledon is in South London.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am

They're in Ashton under Lyne, in Tameside, Manchester.

Been around since the 60's. Only a regional semi-pro side, but they came into a bit of money in the mid 2000's and started climbing the pyramid
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Rowett out, Zola in.

Absolute madness.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Nicko58 wrote:Rowett out, Zola in.

Absolute madness.
My mate, Big Matty the Bluenose is utterly perplexed. Some club's going to inherit an excellent manager who's on the way up in Rowett. And Zola :lol: :shock: :doh:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Couldn't believe it myself, but we shouldn't be surprised. Like you say, some club is going to hit the jackpot with Rowett.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:54 pm

And the indecent haste with which Zola has been appointed makes me want them to fail miserabl, although I've always liked him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:58 pm

I was about to post how mad Rowett sacking was but thought I might have missed getting 30m in the summer our something. 7th ffs.

And for Zola! A real life, walking Tim nice but dim.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:51 am

Prufrock wrote:I was about to post how mad Rowett sacking was but thought I might have missed getting 30m in the summer our something. 7th ffs.

And for Zola! A real life, walking Tim nice but dim.
Just about the stupidest decision I've ever seen in football. Hope they throw loads of cash at it and finish 18th.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Unbelievable Jeff. Rowett has probably done the best job outside the top flight. I mean they were below us when he took over, have had similar ownership and money troubles, have had to sell players...yet he took them from bottom to two years later 7th, against that backdrop. Amazing achievement.

But yes, lets replace him with Zola, accurately described above as a bit dim. What has Gianfranco achieved in management of note?

Football clubs are increasingly run by absolute fools.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Didn't know this :shock: . Madness!

Gary Bowyer is doing a remarkable job at Blackpool under tough circumstances and kept a very rocky ship at Blackburn steady. It rather makes a mockery of Venkys sacking him to replace him with Owen :lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Unbelievable Jeff. Rowett has probably done the best job outside the top flight. I mean they were below us when he took over, have had similar ownership and money troubles, have had to sell players...yet he took them from bottom to two years later 7th, against that backdrop. Amazing achievement.

But yes, lets replace him with Zola, accurately described above as a bit dim. What has Gianfranco achieved in management of note?

Football clubs are increasingly run by absolute fools.
Famous name innit? And looks like the Fonz.
Happy days obviously..

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Unreal what has gone on at Birmingham. Foriegn owners with deep pockets sound great in theory, or in the case of Coventry, mysterious London based hedge funds. Would be nice if they could dredge up the motivation to do something good tonight though...

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Unreal what has gone on at Birmingham. Foriegn owners with deep pockets sound great in theory, or in the case of Coventry, mysterious London based hedge funds. Would be nice if they could dredge up the motivation to do something good tonight though...
Even more feckin unreal is what went on at Coventry in the 86th minute tonight!!
Wankers to a man,Coventry fans!! :whack: :whack:

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:39 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Unreal what has gone on at Birmingham. Foriegn owners with deep pockets sound great in theory, or in the case of Coventry, mysterious London based hedge funds. Would be nice if they could dredge up the motivation to do something good tonight though...
Even more feckin unreal is what went on at Coventry in the 86th minute tonight!!
They're just in a desperate situation and took the opportunity to protest against what they understandably perceive to be the severe mismanagement of their football club.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:53 am

Nicko58 wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:
They're just in a desperate situation and took the opportunity to protest against what they understandably perceive to be the severe mismanagement of their football club.
I completely sympathise with them,and their plight!! Just not tonight. You understand! :cry: :grin:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:54 am

And that c*nt Wilder is still moaning like they're hard drive by. Hrs just been handed 3 points. Prick. We love you Parky!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 am

Shame Coventry couldn't hold on, hopefully they aren't that resilient on 2nd January. Personally I have great sympathy with the Coventry fans. What seems to have happened there, is that rich people (albeit with apparently no sensitivity to the significance and history of the club) took over with the aim of running the club like a business, and as performances, crowds and incomes continually fall, they have sold assets both playing and non-playing, including stadium (they are tenants now at the Ricoh, now home of Wasps Rugby union club), academy and training ground, to the point where the club is heading towards the 4th level, without a place to play from 2018, and no sign of the decline ending with their fans fearing it will be terminal.

If we don't go up this season, then we will be pretty close to being in a similar tailspin. A fundamentally heavy loss making enterprise with expensive to run assets that cannot be supported by falling level 3 incomes. If our owner(s), or future administrators, decide one day the way round that is to sell our assets, and sell and lease back the stadium, then if one day we can't afford the rent, we would be in pretty much exactly the same position....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:28 am

jonnycooper wrote:
What did they do?