Boxing Clever...Shrewsbury Home 26th Dec.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Boxing Clever...Shrewsbury Home 26th Dec.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Last week we lost to a down-the-table side because thay had one clear chance and took it. We had several and didn't. It happens, we came back and got the points today. History will remember only the final score..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:54 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I find it a little disingenuous to say that either we played crap or that they are a poor side, The way it looked to me was that they've sent their scouts along and seen that if they were to have a chance of getting something out of the game then they'd need to rapidly close down Clough, Vela and Ameobi - something that they did expertly well.

What I was really pleased with therefore was how our lads recognised this and sent defenders forward (Wheater scoring two) and how quick we were to get the ball to Madine for him to hold up and play others in.

Shrewsbury very nearly walked away with at least a draw today. They had a game-plan which almost worked for them, bearing in mind that they had a penalty appeal which the lino had awarded and that they also hit the bar. Some respect and moderate reflection is due here, I think.
This.
X2.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Anyone else think we scored from that forst corner -thorpe header? Looked over the line to me

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Anyone else think we scored from that forst corner -thorpe header? Looked over the line to me
Zico was sure it crossed the line. Other micman wasn't so sure.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:53 pm

I'll take as many of these 'scabby' 1-0's, 2-1's etc. if it gets us promoted
Pfffft.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:00 am

Poor performance, very slow and lethargic at times for me - if they play like that against Scunthorpe we'll lose.

The midfield need to move the ball better & play at a quicker tempo, they (the midfield) got outplayed & outfought yet again - when they play like that its amazing that we are in the top 3 because (apart from the Gillingham game), they don't really play like a promotion chasing team.

I thought that Vela had turned a corner and become a decent box to box midfielder but yesterday he wasn't in the game for me.

I'll take the 3 points though, but we need to be much better against Scunthorpe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:47 am

Peter Thompson wrote:Poor performance, very slow and lethargic at times for me - if they play like that against Scunthorpe we'll lose.

The midfield need to move the ball better & play at a quicker tempo, they (the midfield) got outplayed & outfought yet again - when they play like that its amazing that we are in the top 3 because (apart from the Gillingham game), they don't really play like a promotion chasing team.

I thought that Vela had turned a corner and become a decent box to box midfielder but yesterday he wasn't in the game for me.

I'll take the 3 points though, but we need to be much better against Scunthorpe.
As Bruce has pointed out, you have to look at what Shrewsbury did and how they nullified us in midfield. It isn't all about us.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:Poor performance, very slow and lethargic at times for me - if they play like that against Scunthorpe we'll lose.

As Bruce has pointed out, you have to look at what Shrewsbury did and how they nullified us in midfield. It isn't all about us.
So we have no plan B or C then and Parkinson can't change how we play ?, an opposition manager does his homework & gets his midfielders to press us and we have no answer....do we not supposedly have better quality players than most in this league ?

So if the Scunthorpe scouts see the same thing as the Shrewsbury one's did - that's it then is it ?....our midfield will be stifled and we'll play slowly and be unable to move the ball quicker and get forward to support the forward players....Chesterfield did the same didn't they, so that's 2 sides in the bottom 4 or 5 who have stopped the Bolton midfield playing by pressing us - can we not take the game to them with our 'so called' better players and get in their midfielders faces and press them & put their midfielders under pressure ?

Can Parkinson not do his homework on the opposition and perhaps on occasions when necessary play an extra man in midfield, or come up with a game plan to counter this ?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:07 am

Ok I'll bite.

What's the opposite of "Rose tinted Glasses"?

Shit filled blinkers?

Do one with your pessimism, we aren't 3rd because of luck. We had our moments yesterday as did Shrewsbury. We won they lost. It's taken 22 games for you to think Vela has turned a corner yet 1 game to change your mind? Also what makes you think Scunthorpe will turn us over if we play like that? They drew to Bradford with 3 shots on target. Shrewsbury had the same and scored 1. We don't have to play well as long as the points keep coming in. You sound like a Newcastle/West Ham fan.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 am

DJBlu wrote:

Ok I'll bite.

Shit filled blinkers?

Do one with your pessimism, we aren't 3rd because of luck. We had our moments yesterday as did Shrewsbury. We won they lost. It's taken 22 games for you to think Vela has turned a corner yet 1 game to change your mind? Also what makes you think Scunthorpe will turn us over if we play like that? They drew to Bradford with 3 shots on target. Shrewsbury had the same and scored 1. We don't have to play well as long as the points keep coming in. You sound like a Newcastle/West Ham fan.
What makes you think that I'm after a bite ?, I'm actually quite optimistic this season TBH, and I'm made up that we are competing at the top of the table - but am I not allowed an opinion if it differs from yours ? - this is League 1 we are in and in most games I've seen we have been quite fortunate to win and haven't bossed many games for 90 mins (apart from Gillingham).

My point is that we have to find a way of playing when the opposition do their homework & press us in midfield, personally I do think we've been quite lucky so far and I don't think that we are playing like a top 3 side - we need more consistency, fluency & creativity from the midfield. We are winning regularly mainly due to the back 4 being solid, IMO than how good we are going forward.

All I've said is that Parkinson needs to come up with another way of playing if the opposition suss us out early & press the midfield like Shrewsbury did yesterday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:25 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

So we have no plan B or C then and Parkinson can't change how we play ?, an opposition manager does his homework & gets his midfielders to press us and we have no answer....do we not supposedly have better quality players than most in this league ?

So if the Scunthorpe scouts see the same thing as the Shrewsbury one's did - that's it then is it ?....our midfield will be stifled and we'll play slowly and be unable to move the ball quicker and get forward to support the forward players....Chesterfield did the same didn't they, so that's 2 sides in the bottom 4 or 5 who have stopped the Bolton midfield playing by pressing us - can we not take the game to them with our 'so called' better players and get in their midfielders faces and press them & put their midfielders under pressure ?

Can Parkinson not do his homework on the opposition and perhaps on occasions when necessary play an extra man in midfield, or come up with a game plan to counter this ?
You're on about "having no plan B"... we were 2-0 up for most of the game and did actually win it, just in case you missed that bit...

We were in a 2 goal lead for 2/3rds of the game

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:31 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Ok I'll bite.

Shit filled blinkers?

What makes you think that I'm after a bite ?, I'm actually quite optimistic this season TBH, and I'm made up that we are competing at the top of the table - but am I not allowed an opinion if it differs from yours ? - this is League 1 we are in and in most games I've seen we have been quite fortunate to win and haven't bossed many games for 90 mins (apart from Gillingham).

My point is that we have to find a way of playing when the opposition do their homework & press us in midfield, personally I do think we've been quite lucky so far and I don't think that we are playing like a top 3 side - we need more consistency, fluency & creativity from the midfield. We are winning regularly mainly due to the back 4 being solid, IMO than how good we are going forward.

All I've said is that Parkinson needs to come up with another way of playing if the opposition suss us out early & press the midfield like Shrewsbury did yesterday.

But has any side (bossed) a game against us this season? We are up the top because of the way we play,and long may it continue.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:34 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You're on about "having no plan B"... we were 2-0 up for most of the game and did actually win it, just in case you missed that bit...

FFS - its an opinion that's all....or do we all have to have the same opinion and agree all the time ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:43 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We had a game plan. Get it up to Madine and win it from there. Win set pieces.

Won us the game. Wasn't pretty but our plan B worked and got the three points.

I'm not sure if football is really something for you. Could you not very clearly see how they blocked midfield off and how as a result we went long? And how that resulted in a win?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:We had a game plan. Get it up to Madine and win it from there. Win set pieces.

Won us the game. Wasn't pretty but our plan B worked and got the three points.

I'm not sure if football is really something for you. Could you not very clearly see how they blocked midfield off and how as a result we went long? And how that resulted in a win?
Really....how very arrogant of you

And for information, we've gone long all season, but how would I know ! - and I'm sure that it could possibly have ended 2-2.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: I'm not sure if football is really something for you.
I think PT reacts too quickly to bumps in the road and can be overly critical, but that's a pretty condescending thing to type. I'm filing that 2nd in the list (under the cancer thing) of dickish things you come out with sometimes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:16 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

FFS - its an opinion that's all....or do we all have to have the same opinion and agree all the time ?
No, I would generally hope we didn't have the same opinion all the time, thanks - I seem to remember this old warhorse being rolled out from your direction when we were near the top of the Premier League, too. I would understand it more, though, if we'd been 2-0 down in 28 minutes. They did close down midfield quite effectively, we scored 2 goals from set pieces, so whichever way you want to look at it, most sides aren't going to complain about being 2 up in under 30 minutes. Maybe that was part of the homework you're suggesting Parkinson didn't do - perhaps he thought they were susceptible to set pieces. That shouldn't stop us pressing them and getting in their faces - but we were still in the lead for 3/4 of the game. had more of the possession, more shots, more shots on target, etc. Yes we conceded with 6 minutes to play so it was unnecessarily nervy the last few minutes.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:51 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I think PT reacts too quickly to bumps in the road and can be overly critical, but that's a pretty condescending thing to type. I'm filing that 2nd in the list (under the cancer thing) of dickish things you come out with sometimes.
Behave! Well, it made me laugh.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:54 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

On a grammatical point, it's more than an opinion: there are at least five questions in there. Ask a question and you will get responses! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Behave! Well, it made me laugh.
The cancer or the condescension?