Lincoln steel, my arse! - Scunthorpe (H) 31/12/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Lincoln steel, my arse! - Scunthorpe (H) 31/12/16

Post by Enoch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Title decider?

"Top New Year's present for their fans as The Trotters hit summit".

I should work in the press!

Any vacancies at FourFourTwo?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lincoln steel, my arse! - Scunthorpe (H) 31/12/16

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Oh my word. That's fecked it! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Going to be a tough one this; they're not at the top for nothing and based on how they'll probably see us (particularly after the last match) if we go in front early we might/will need more than one goal of a lead unless we hold the midfield and keep pressing. Morris is a wide man and it might be a mistake to have a couple of men tracking him and leaving gaps elsewhere;let one man press up and keep him occupied. Might sound daft but I might consider bringing Pratley back in to do just that and possibly keep Vela in reserve till we see where it's going. Our defence is pretty solid on the whole and much also depends on the front men hitting the target. Big wind seems to have calmed down and should let Clough and Sammi play some football. Easy on paper, innit? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gravdigger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gravdigger » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:45 am

I doubt I'll be looking for any results until after 4-ish on Saturday. Getting to be bum twitching time I'm afraid. 8)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 am

Gravdigger wrote:I doubt I'll be looking for any results until after 4-ish on Saturday. Getting to be bum twitching time I'm afraid. 8)
We kick off at 3pm (though you wouldn't know it from the thread title :D), but Sheff U play at 1pm, so we'll know before we start whether top spot is possible. I suspect Parky's main priority is to not lose - I'm going for 1-1.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:37 am

A business-like display and 1-0 to us. Clough with the goal.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:27 pm

They are a good side with arguably more goal threat than us. But feck it. We are at home and on a decent run of form. No reason we shouldn't be going all out for the win. That isn't to say they won't feel the same. And isn't to say we will win. But at this stage I see no reason to play for a draw from the start. If we can't win draw. But i think we can afford to give it a go. If we lose, all is far from lost. And frankly a play off spot should it end up in that at the end would be well above the expectations of many at the start.

I can't get into the mentality of fretting about where we are with regards to the other teams at the top. Right now the very fact we are at or near the top is more than enough after 4 or 5 seasons of outright failure.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Spearing a doubt according to the BEN. Would be a big loss. Means we would have to play two centre backs by trade (though both are fine with Spearing), A dodgy Trotter, if fit, or an undercooked Pratley.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Spearing a doubt according to the BEN. Would be a big loss. Means we would have to play two centre backs by trade (though both are fine with Spearing), A dodgy Trotter, if fit, or an undercooked Pratley.
Or pull Vela back into Spearing's role and replace him with Henry? That's losing something in energy but might gain in creativity if we're playing like a proper home side.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Spearing a doubt according to the BEN. Would be a big loss. Means we would have to play two centre backs by trade (though both are fine with Spearing), A dodgy Trotter, if fit, or an undercooked Pratley.
Or pull Vela back into Spearing's role and replace him with Henry? That's losing something in energy but might gain in creativity if we're playing like a proper home side.
Derik not a better option as a straight swap?

I'm with the Insane one. It's been so long since we've been near the top of a division, let's not fret and just go for it. 3-0 win
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Derik not a better option as a straight swap?

I'm with the Insane one. It's been so long since we've been near the top of a division, let's not fret and just go for it. 3-0 win
Wouldn't like that at all. That's playing with 6 defenders at home. So I'd say yes let's go for it by playing an attacking line up. We've seen recenty that we can't rely on Clough and Ameobi to produce something magical every game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:30 pm

Nah, don't change the set-up, even if it seems negative. We only seen to struggle when teams camp behind the ball. Can't see Scunthorpe doing that. Stay solid and trust the boys up top to do their business. Won 9 in a row at home, I wouldn't be dicking about trying to "prove" anything.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nah, don't change the set-up, even if it seems negative. We only seen to struggle when teams camp behind the ball. Can't see Scunthorpe doing that. Stay solid and trust the boys up top to do their business. Won 9 in a row at home, I wouldn't be dicking about trying to "prove" anything.
If Spearing is fit I agree. If we play like we did last game but with a more defensive player instead of Spearing I see us struggling against a top team. The big pluses have been the goalkeeping ,the back 4 and the wide men. I wouldn't change any of that, but midfield has been our weakest area. Having said that you could always swap Derik or Thorpe for Henry if we're chasing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:00 pm

Alnwick, Wilson, Wheater, Beevers, A. Taylor, Thorpe, Spearing, Ameobi, Vela, Clough, Madine
Subs: Turner, Moxey, Derik, C Taylor, Henry, Clayton, Anderson

Scunny make one change from the side that managed a draw at Bradford: Sam Mantom replacing Tom Hopper.
Daniels, Wallace, Dawson, Madden, Morris, Bishop, Toffolo, Adelakun, Mantom, Goode, Clarke.
subs Anyon, Wiseman, Williams, van Veen, Hopper, Smallwood, Holmes.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Sheffield drawing!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:37 pm

What's a likely Scunthorpe,set up?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:47 pm

Anyway, as at every kick off, it's time to say with gusto....COME ON YOU WHITES...A chance for fame...... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Sheffield drawing!
Bollocks. Scored in the 89th :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Sheffield drawing!
Bollocks. Scored in the 89th :(
%$£*XXX+_$$$$$$$$&&&& and &^$%£ :evil:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Ah, well, we couldn't do anything about that anyway except hope, so on with it. A win today will be a cracking New Year's bonus. To the greensward then....Desdichado.......!