Why, I'll Ride Naked Through the Streets Coventry (A) 2/1/17

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Why, I'll Ride Naked Through the Streets Coventry (A) 2/1/17

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:25 pm

I was going to entitle it 'In There Like the Luftwaffe' but decided against it. :)

Anyway, listen up. After seven successive defeats (including the one at our place), Coventry claimed a highly creditable draw at London Road yesterday - something that we didn't manage. For me, this'll be a tougher game than a cursory glance at the league table might suggest.

I do hope that Parky doesn't get all cocky (I doubt he will) and start resting players needlessly. However, it's the FA Cup game against Palace up next and our lad does like a cup run and, of course, the opportunity of a much-needed cash injection in the next round.

I guess that this is what he gets paid to fathom out.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Why, I'll Ride Naked Through the Streets Coventry (A) 2/

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:28 pm

1,200 tickets sold as of Friday. Pay on the day available.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:29 pm

We may lose this. Just the way it goes. Fair few need a rest IMO after the efforts yesterday. Like to see Henry start. And maybe Keshi. Need some fresh legs.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm

I caught the last twenty minutes of them against Sheffield United and, bar conceding a late goal after a break in play, thought that they looked quite decent, or at least decent enough to cause United a few problems. They might also be a bit of an unknown quantity as well, as they’ve recently changed their manager and have today announced three new signings.

Parky hinted in his post-match interviews that he and Steve Parkin are going to think about resting a few players, which is probably necessary given the size of our squad and the number of matches we’ve played in the last fortnight. I also think that we might do well to freshen things up a little anyway, even though we keep on winning, as I suspect that teams might be starting to wise up on how we play and thus make sure that they close down Ameobi, and particularly Clough, as quickly as possible.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:40 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:1,200 tickets sold as of Friday. Pay on the day available.
I expect a lot will be returned once they hear Bruce will be riding naked in the streets... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Looks tough a selection issue. Only Clough out of the midfield and attacking players didn't play 90mins against Scunthorpe. Wilson will almost certainly be out, so maybe Buxton in at RB, and Derik in for Thorpe, who also took a knock but battled through the 90mins. If we want to freshen up the attack, Henry seems ready to start, but Chris Taylor replacing any of the three attacking midfielders starts to weaken things. Keshi Anderson for Madine means a change in the type of passes we deliver from back to front but seems an interesting possibility..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Excellent news for us 'late fitness test' manflu sufferers. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Cant believe we are playing again - sat / mon is crazy! Has to mean a few canges - expecting Derik, Henry to play.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Excellent news for us 'late fitness test' manflu sufferers. :)
I'm not sure riding to the game naked will do much to help your cold. Better wear your mittens. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Coventry have signed 3 players today!

They also sold Sordell (top scorer) to Burton.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:20 pm

jmjhb wrote:Coventry have signed 3 players today!

Was reading about that. Think it will be a tougher game than the table suggests.
Did someone say pay on the day? My support might make the difference...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:38 pm

jmjhb wrote:Coventry have signed 3 players today!

That may just work a bit to our advantage. I can't see three new players going straight into a squad so soon after arriving at the club. Maybe I'm wrong, but we've signed many a player who hasn't been the bees knees, including Mr Sordell. My main worry is the two day break; tough enough at three days but the day after New Year on top might make things hard all round. Hope our energy players are rested enough.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 am

On our way to the match COYWM!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Nicko58 wrote:Parky hinted in his post-match interviews that he and Steve Parkin are going to think about resting a few players, which is probably necessary given the size of our squad and the number of matches we’ve played in the last fortnight. I also think that we might do well to freshen things up a little anyway, even though we keep on winning, as I suspect that teams might be starting to wise up on how we play and thus make sure that they close down Ameobi, and particularly Clough, as quickly as possible.
There's always a risk in making too many switches, Parky is not by nature a man of many changes, and it's not as if the current XI are doing badly. But if the fringe players can't get a start for the second game in three days, after a 95-minute effort against the leaders, then questions have to be raised as to whether the manager fancies them or they fancy hanging around effectively waiting for a serious injury to the incumbent in their position.

I would hope the defensive unit has been trained en masse rather than "first XI" being hived off from the back-ups. If so, players like Buxton and Moxey should be able to slot in relatively easily, as should Derik in defensive midfield if Thorpe or Spearing aren't up to it. All being well, we might also see Pratley get some minutes. That could be in defensive midfield or giving Vela an early bath, but for this game I'd be trying to keep him, Zach, possibly Sammi and almost certainly the two centre-backs as priority positions. Those drafted in might include Bux, Mox, Derik, Henry, C Taylor, maybe Proctor if he's fit.

New signings or not, you have to imagine we have a deeper squad than Coventry. That counts for nowt if the incomers don't work hard and know their position, but I get the strong feeling that those are among Parky's strong suits.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:Parky hinted in his post-match interviews that he and Steve Parkin are going to think about resting a few players, which is probably necessary given the size of our squad and the number of matches we’ve played in the last fortnight. I also think that we might do well to freshen things up a little anyway, even though we keep on winning, as I suspect that teams might be starting to wise up on how we play and thus make sure that they close down Ameobi, and particularly Clough, as quickly as possible.
There's always a risk in making too many switches, Parky is not by nature a man of many changes, and it's not as if the current XI are doing badly. But if the fringe players can't get a start for the second game in three days, after a 95-minute effort against the leaders, then questions have to be raised as to whether the manager fancies them or they fancy hanging around effectively waiting for a serious injury to the incumbent in their position.

I would hope the defensive unit has been trained en masse rather than "first XI" being hived off from the back-ups. If so, players like Buxton and Moxey should be able to slot in relatively easily, as should Derik in defensive midfield if Thorpe or Spearing aren't up to it. All being well, we might also see Pratley get some minutes. That could be in defensive midfield or giving Vela an early bath, but for this game I'd be trying to keep him, Zach, possibly Sammi and almost certainly the two centre-backs as priority positions. Those drafted in might include Bux, Mox, Derik, Henry, C Taylor, maybe Proctor if he's fit.

New signings or not, you have to imagine we have a deeper squad than Coventry. That counts for nowt if the incomers don't work hard and know their position, but I get the strong feeling that those are among Parky's strong suits.
Based on the last two home games I’d probably start Henry in place of Clough, just because I think a combination of the opposition's tight marking and him being knackered has meant that he hasn’t made as much of an impact as he usually does. Buxton can come in for Wilson if he isn’t fit but I’d prefer to leave Taylor at left-back because Moxey's too prone to a lapse in concentration in my opinion.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Point taken on Zach. I prefer AT to Mox too, but we might need to rotate - and to probe with the full-backs if Cov drop deep. Mox may be dozy but he's decent on the front foot.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:35 pm

I'd be thinking Pratley for a bit of muscle should that need arise.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Huge delays on the M6. Is anyone else stuck in traffic? Google Mpas currently saying we won't arrive until 15:45... thinking of turning around.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Trotter starts. :shock:

Alnwick, Osede, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor, Spearing, Trotter, Henry, Vela, Ameobi, Madine

Subs: Turner, Moxey, Taylor, Proctor, Clough, Clayton, Thorpe

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Trotter! FFS! He hasn't been near the squad in ages. Assuming Pratley isnt fit I would go with Buxton and move Derik to centre mud...as it is we have Derik out of position and that lump playing. Not good.