Saddling up Saturday

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Saddling up Saturday

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:13 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:'fish highlights for those who couldn't make it or want to relive the goals.
Thanks for that mate. Ones I've seen have been crap....
The third and fourth goals are high quality, spectacular goals. Surprised there isn't more comment about them.....

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:27 am

Long's was quality. Was Trotter's a deflection ... looked it to me.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 am

Hang on a second about Madine, i know he's not great but give the lad a chance.

He scored at an important time to get us back in the game and set one up.

Genuinely, what do people expect from him?

Yes, he's limited, but considering we're stuck with him until his contract has run out, Parkinson has worked wonders with him.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:26 am

Andy Waller wrote:Hang on a second about Madine, i know he's not great but give the lad a chance.

Yes, he's limited, but considering we're stuck with him until his contract has run out, Parkinson has worked wonders with him.
Saturday was the second league game he's scored in since August, so in terms of 'what people expect from him' - well, more than that.

I think saying Parkinson has worked wonders with him is a bit of a stretch. He scored 6 goals last year, he's got 7 this year at a lower level. He is what he's always been - shite but better than Conor Wilkinson.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Hang on a second about Madine, i know he's not great but give the lad a chance.

Saturday was the second league game he's scored in since August, so in terms of 'what people expect from him' - well, more than that.

I think saying Parkinson has worked wonders with him is a bit of a stretch. He scored 6 goals last year, he's got 7 this year at a lower level. He is what he's always been - shite but better than Conor Wilkinson.
Clough had 9 when he left and was on penalties. If you're going to purely judge on goals....

Madine does a job for the team most weeks. A job that needs doing IMHO. Be nice if we had someone better to do it. We don't. At least now he has some partners to work with so with luck they can benefit from his efforts against centre halves.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 am

Because he hasn't had a chance....... ?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Clough had 9 when he left and was on penalties. If you're going to purely judge on goals....

Madine does a job for the team most weeks. A job that needs doing IMHO. Be nice if we had someone better to do it. We don't. At least now he has some partners to work with so with luck they can benefit from his efforts against centre halves.
Whilst playing on the wing. And I'm glad he was on penalties, because Nadine standing over them hardly fills you with confidence.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:34 am

Peter Thompson wrote:Morais was excellent, Spearing was good, Derik played well and ALF's movement was good - personally I think that the score flattered us a little and I like the look of Long and playing 2 up front, but we were poor & pedestrian 2nd half

Madine was just Madine (not great, lazy but was effective yesterday), but Vela was poor (IMO) we are still far too slow in possession and don't move the ball quickly enough through from midfield.

However, a win is a win and it was much needed with a couple of great goals - and with Scunthorpe losing, England winning the Rugby it was a great day
I don't think it did flatter us. In fact, a more potent team would have had 7 or 8
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Now Clough has gone (thank the lord), we'll need someone else to stick away these 100%-guaranteed-do-they-even-count? penalties. Yet, it still won't be our central striker. Any thoughts as to why that is?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Now Clough has gone (thank the lord), we'll need someone else to stick away these 100%-guaranteed-do-they-even-count? penalties. Yet, it still won't be our central striker. Any thoughts as to why that is?
Because he's a hopeless living-stealing gimp?

I see that big Wheats had a crack at a free-kick on Saturday. It wasn't too shabby either. Maybe he could step up for them, though I expect it'll be Spearing.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Exactly.

He's doing what he's being asked to do.

He's been a regular in a team that's in third place in the division so he can't be that bad?

SKD hardly used to bang them in left, right and centre did he?

I'm not saying he's as good as SKD, it's just some people need to buck up and realise that we're playing Rochdale tomorrow, not Bayern....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Exactly.

He's been a regular in a team that's in third place in the division so he can't be that bad?

I'm not saying he's as good as SKD, it's just some people need to buck up and realise that we're playing Rochdale tomorrow, not Bayern....
That doesn't account for his lack of effort though does it?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:47 pm

i've admittedly not seen that many games live this season, but lack of effort is absolutely not something I would accuse him of.

Lack of killer finishing ability maybe, but - not unlike SKD - he's not in the team to provide this. He's there to hold the ball up, win it in and around the box, and provide for others and generally make a nuisance of himself.

From what I have seen he's generally been doing this.

At the end of the day, he clearly divides opinions, but I personally trust PPs judgment on how to manage the team much more than I do my own or the guy down the pub's. As said, he's been a regular in a 3rd place team that has generally far-surpassed most people's expectations this season. If he was as bad as some are determined to believe, why hasn't he been "found out" yet and dropped?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Comparisions with SKD, caveated or not, are an absolute travesty.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Exactly.

How do you mean though?

Like I said, we won, he scored and provided an assist.

What more should he have done?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

So we expect not to be utterly fecking useless and to score, then?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:33 pm

If he has a shit game, can we say "and this was against feckin' Rochdale, not Bayern"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
How do you mean though?

Like I said, we won, he scored and provided an assist.

What more should he have done?
It's about more than last Saturday. I think me calling him lazy is possibly incorrect. It's his complete lack of gumption that often leads him look that way though. I'm completely and utterly pissed off with the amount of times that we've broke down the right and whether it have been Ameobi, Wilson or, in Saturday's case the Portuguese lad, push the ball past the left back, and, despite rapidly running out of pitch space, manage to get their crosses in. Now, the thickest c*nt on earth can see that if the cross does come in then it's coming in through the six yard box. What I expect to see Madine doing here is to be bursting a gut to get on the end of it, not standing on the penalty spot before moaning to the crosser of the ball that they didn't defy both physics and risk breaking their own neck to pull it back to him. Thing is, he actually attacked the ball twice against Gillingham and as if by magic scored on both occasions, how's he forgotten that? This isn't the first time we've been at this level, Andy, and you can give me a Caldwell, an Oghani, a Philliskirk even a Trevor Morgan, certainly a Walker or a McGinlay over this shithouse any day.

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 pm

ARRRRRGH!! Madine is absolutely fecking shite and would not get in most League one teams never mind Championship. Yes we are stuck with him, but we do not have to like it! All those saying he does this and that you are entitled to your opinion but all he does is run around without purpose and wins 35% of headers and score once every blue moon (sods law and all that). I cannot think of another Bolton striker to have played so many times and scored and contributed so little!! IMHO he is the worst Striker we have ever had that has played more than 10 games (I don't count players under 10 games)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:09 pm

^^ I'm going for N'gog on that front. A bit like Madine without any presence whatsoever.