Saddling up Saturday

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Re: Saddling up Saturday

Post by Norpig » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 pm

With Ngog you always thought he had something though just cannot see what Madine had to start with. Good shout though I still say Madine is worse.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Norpig wrote:With Ngog you always thought he had something though just cannot see what Madine had to start with. Good shout though I still say Madine is worse.
Indeed, you (and I were invariably wrong though!) :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Pleased for Trotter. Whenhe looks interested there is a ball playing midfielder in there, and I thought we could have done with signing one of them in the window. He wont play every game, but in a 352 hopefully he can work.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Long absolutely rammed that ball in the net. Observation: It's a goal Clough would never have scored as he never put any welly behind his shots.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
That doesn't account for his lack of effort though does it?
How do you mean though?

Like I said, we won, he scored and provided an assist.

What more should he have done?
It's about more than last Saturday. I think me calling him lazy is possibly incorrect. It's his complete lack of gumption that often leads him look that way though. I'm completely and utterly pissed off with the amount of times that we've broke down the right and whether it have been Ameobi, Wilson or, in Saturday's case the Portuguese lad, push the ball past the left back, and, despite rapidly running out of pitch space, manage to get their crosses in. Now, the thickest c*nt on earth can see that if the cross does come in then it's coming in through the six yard box. What I expect to see Madine doing here is to be bursting a gut to get on the end of it, not standing on the penalty spot before moaning to the crosser of the ball that they didn't defy both physics and risk breaking their own neck to pull it back to him. Thing is, he actually attacked the ball twice against Gillingham and as if by magic scored on both occasions, how's he forgotten that? This isn't the first time we've been at this level, Andy, and you can give me a Caldwell, an Oghani, a Philliskirk even a Trevor Morgan, certainly a Walker or a McGinlay over this shithouse any day.
I'm too young to remember Caldwell and Oghani, but wasn't Philliskirk a right lazy sod and a bit of a big nelly to boot? Reeves used to do all the running and he was sh*te too.

Walker or McGinlay couldn't play his position, that's what Mixu was there for (and everyone used to moan he didn't score enough etc).

I'm not saying he's that good, in fact, if we had the choice most people (including myself and probably PP) would sooner have someone different any day of the week.

But we don't have the choice do we? We can't go out and get someone to replace him. PP must be happy with the work he puts in because he's brought in players to play around him.

If he attacked every ball and scored off every cross, he wouldn't be at the Macron tonight.

We all have our opinions on players and if we were down at the bottom, you might be right about him, but we're not are we?

Surely he must be doing something right??

P.S. Trevor Morgan?? Honestly? Someone with the nickname Sumo? You need to give those rose tinted spectacles a damn good clean mate...
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:35 am

Norpig wrote:ARRRRRGH!! Madine is absolutely fecking shite and would not get in most League one teams never mind Championship. Yes we are stuck with him, but we do not have to like it! All those saying he does this and that you are entitled to your opinion but all he does is run around without purpose and wins 35% of headers and score once every blue moon (sods law and all that). I cannot think of another Bolton striker to have played so many times and scored and contributed so little!! IMHO he is the worst Striker we have ever had that has played more than 10 games (I don't count players under 10 games)
Come on. If he plays till the end of the season he'll get into double figures. And he missed a chunk of the season too. That isn't amazing but far and away from the terrible description you seem to want to paint. He's not great. Nobody would suggest there aren't better strikers out there.

But we need someone to compete with centre halves. He does that job and scores the odd goal. Is it an area we could improve? Yes. But have some perspective. He is our second highest goal scorer and second highest "assister" behind Clough. So with Clough gone he's top of goals and top of assists.

I reckon he'd get in a fair few teams in this division. Christ, he's miles ahead of Proctor who has demonstrated that ability.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Norpig wrote:ARRRRRGH!! Madine is absolutely fecking shite and would not get in most League one teams never mind Championship. Yes we are stuck with him, but we do not have to like it! All those saying he does this and that you are entitled to your opinion but all he does is run around without purpose and wins 35% of headers and score once every blue moon (sods law and all that). I cannot think of another Bolton striker to have played so many times and scored and contributed so little!! IMHO he is the worst Striker we have ever had that has played more than 10 games (I don't count players under 10 games)
Come on. If he plays till the end of the season he'll get into double figures. And he missed a chunk of the season too. That isn't amazing but far and away from the terrible description you seem to want to paint. He's not great. Nobody would suggest there aren't better strikers out there.

But we need someone to compete with centre halves. He does that job and scores the odd goal. Is it an area we could improve? Yes. But have some perspective. He is our second highest goal scorer and second highest "assister" behind Clough. So with Clough gone he's top of goals and top of assists.

I reckon he'd get in a fair few teams in this division. Christ, he's miles ahead of Proctor who has demonstrated that ability.
Nadine needs to spend a couple of weeks being shown the ropes by Kevin Davies, then we'd have a decent product.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Where we are in the table has nothing to do with Madine, it's you that needs to give the tinters a clean. Tony Kelly was nicknamed Zico. Here's news for you - he wasn't ;)

This idea that if he knew how to operate as a decent centre forward then he wouldn't be at our place is complete and utter bollocks. I've furnished you with the names of others that could when we were in the exact same position, and lower.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Didn't someone say that exact same thing this time last year?

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:40 am

Norpig wrote:IMHO he is the worst Striker we have ever had that has played more than 10 games (I don't count players under 10 games)
Just league games or including cup games?

If the latter then I would like to suggest Mario Jardel.
7 League games, 0 goals. He did score 3 goals in 4 cup games but he was less than useless in the league.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:47 am

What's that English player who had a Polish name doing these days? I can't be arsed to look it up as I can't spell his name. Juke something or other! He was a good target man and had a pretty prolific goalscoring record for us
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:22 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:What's that English player who had a Polish name doing these days? I can't be arsed to look it up as I can't spell his name. Juke something or other! He was a good target man and had a pretty prolific goalscoring record for us
Lukas Jutkiewicz? Scored 10 in 26 for Brum, and, unlike Madine, didn't wuss out of challenging for the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Where we are in the table has nothing to do with Madine, it's you that needs to give the tinters a clean. Tony Kelly was nicknamed Zico. Here's news for you - he wasn't ;)

This idea that if he knew how to operate as a decent centre forward then he wouldn't be at our place is complete and utter bollocks. I've furnished you with the names of others that could when we were in the exact same position, and lower.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just trying to balance the arguments a little.

Only 9 players in league one have hit double figures this season so far. Two are at Millwall. Only 4 have gone past 12. The idea that every team in this league has a prolific striker simply isn't true. There are of course better strikers than Madine, would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. But the notion that there are a load of 20 goals per season men out there we could easily find, is also ridiculous. Plenty to criticise Madine for, but he's not the worst we've ever had nor the worst striker in this league either.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Only 9 players in league one have hit double figures this season so far. Two are at Millwall. Only 4 have gone past 12. The idea that every team in this league has a prolific striker simply isn't true. There are of course better strikers than Madine, would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. But the notion that there are a load of 20 goals per season men out there we could easily find, is also ridiculous. Plenty to criticise Madine for, but he's not the worst we've ever had nor the worst striker in this league either.
Sorry, my reply was to Andy Waller's post :oops:

I'm not judging him on his goals per se, however, if he wised up and actually attacked the ball rather than standing around then he would get more. I'm disappointed with his contribution. How a guy that size ends up coming second in nearly every aerial challenge is completely beyond me.

Oh, and I couldn't care less as to how he measures up against others in the same league, I'm concerned only with our potential chances that aren't being converted.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm not judging him on his goals per se, however, if he wised up and actually attacked the ball rather than standing around then he would get more. I'm disappointed with his contribution. How a guy that size ends up coming second in nearly every aerial challenge is completely beyond me.

Oh, and I couldn't care less as to how he measures up against others in the same league, I'm concerned only with our potential chances that aren't being converted.
I do think he wins a fair amount in the air outside the box. His lack of gumption or fear of missing or whatever it is that means he often goes missing in the box is very frustrating I agree.

If Morais carries on as he is, there will be plenty chances of Madine now. So no excuse. I do think he has been a little starved of service at times where we had two wingers cutting in rather than crossing the ball.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But that's the whole point, it should be how he measures up in the league. That's why we're playing in a err... league.

At the moment in said league, there's two teams better at converting chances when it matters and twenty one worse.

In our predicament, that's not bad is it?

Is he a great footballer? No
Is he contributing to a decent side? Yes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Andy Waller wrote:But that's the whole point, it should be how he measures up in the league. That's why we're playing in a err... league.

At the moment in said league, there's two teams better at converting chances when it matters and twenty one worse.

That fact that he makes no effort to get on the end of crosses has absolutely nothing to do with anybody anywhere else. It's quite simple. Well, to me it is.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Let's just say, for the purpose of the debate, you're company's doing well, everyone is "winning", but you keep having to pick up from that bastard who always leaves you with a bit of something extra to do, after work hours and into your evening. You'd soon get fcked off with them.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:But that's the whole point, it should be how he measures up in the league. That's why we're playing in a err... league.

That fact that he makes no effort to get on the end of crosses has absolutely nothing to do with anybody anywhere else. It's quite simple. Well, to me it is.
Apart from that one he scored on Saturday?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I once scored a 180 at darts. I'm shit at the game.