Neither Fish nor Foul. Fleetwood (A) 11/3/17 15:00

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Neither Fish nor Foul. Fleetwood (A) 11/3/17 15:00

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Really fancied going to this one initially for the novelty value of it, yet now it's a vital clash that we go in to as underdogs. Who on earth could ever have envisaged that a few years ago? Anyway, I couldn't get a ticket.

Sky Bet gives the following odds: The Cod Army go into Saturday’s match at 5/4 to win, with us coming in at 12/5. A draw is 21/10.

I fancy a tidy 1-1 draw missen.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Neither Fish nor Foul. Fleetwood (A) 11/3/17 15:00

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I've managed to get a ticket, but I'm not looking forward to it as I think that we will struggle and it will be embarassing to get out fought, out thought and out played by Fleetwood, as you say Bruce who would have envisaged us ever going to Fleetwood as underdogs - thanks BWFC !!

Their tails are up full of confidence, playing as a team & we are exactly the opposite. 2-1 or 3-1 to Fleetwood but a draw would be a very good result for us

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm
I've managed to get a ticket, but I'm not looking forward to it as I think that we will struggle and it will be embarassing to get out fought, out thought and out played by Fleetwood, as you say Bruce who would have envisaged us ever going to Fleetwood as underdogs - thanks BWFC !!

Their tails are up full of confidence, playing as a team & we are exactly the opposite. 2-1 or 3-1 to Fleetwood but a draw would be a very good result for us
Why are you going if you aren't looking forward to it?
Leave your inhibitions at home and enjoy the day!

3-1 to the Whites!

:pissed:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:53 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

Why are you going if you aren't looking forward to it?
Leave your inhibitions at home and enjoy the day!

3-1 to the Whites!

:pissed:
Because I'm a passionate Bolton fan....just because I'm negative & critical and say it as I see most of the time doesn't mean that I'm any less of a Bolton fan, when its in your blood its in your blood.

Believe me I'd much prefer the team to play well & win....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

At many points in our history it wouldn't have been that hard to envisage.

Even beyond that one only need look at the number of former premiership sides in this division.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

Even beyond that one only need look at the number of former premiership sides in this division.
But not in more recent history. I can assure you, I for one wasn't stood at Stade Velodrome thinking that in 10 years time we'd be pitching up as underdogs to a side who at that point were just about to miss out on reaching the UniBond Division Play-Offs.

I accept that we are where we are, fully I do, and I understand the cyclical nature of football, but could I have envisaged this back then? No.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

But not in more recent history. I can assure you, I for one wasn't stood at Stade Velodrome thinking that in 10 years time we'd be pitching up as underdogs to a side who at that point were just about to miss out on reaching the UniBond Division Play-Offs.

I accept that we are where we are, fully I do, and I understand the cyclical nature of football, but could I have envisaged this back then? No.
Quite. Of course it's always a possibility. That doesn't make it "envisaged"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Well quite. Nobody will sit at Fleetwood envisaging us as a premiership team in 5 years. But its entirely possible. As is of course, the opposite direction.

However, at any point it isn't that hard to see how the cycle of football respects very few clubs. I think if you had been asked to really think, at Stade Velodrome it wouldn't have been that hard to imagine.

We'll be back. I'm sure of that. Whether that will be within the next 10 or 20 years I have no idea....

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 pm

The Strawberry garden on Poulton road is a good away fans pub! 2 mins walk to ground and a good selection of ale!!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 pm

1 nil win. Our Josh to land the knockout blow
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:25 pm

I'd sell your ticket if I was you PT, we cant play Barca style football which appears to be all that will appease you! We can get a win here by defending well and scoring on the break. They were not up to much at our place, tidy enough on the ball but lacked some punch.

I think PP doesnt know his best team yet with this half seasons squad. I'd like to see Madine flanked by Alf and the one from Birmingham on the basis that feels most like the Madine/Ameobi/Clough trio that was when we were at our best. Centre Mid though, anyones guess! Does he play Derik and Thorpe and get panned. Does he play Thorpe and Trotter and get panned. Does he play Derik and Trotter and get panned. Does he play Henry and push Vela back?

Hopefully that right back has got himself fit as well.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Forgot about Phil Morais there as well. Wouldnt drop him to be fair.

Maybe
Alnwick
Wabarar
Wheats
Beevs
Taylor
Vela
Derik
Henry
Morais
Alf
Madine

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:37 pm

This will be no cake walk. It will be as tough as every other game in this league, because we haven't exactly outclassed everybody here so there's no reason we can expect anything but a tooth and nail scrap with teams on our level. That said, Fleetwood is just 45 miles away, hardly like travelling to some clubs darn sarf. A whiff of sea air and kippers might do our lot a world of good. As ever, I'll go for a win, a tight one maybe, but a win anyway. COME ON YOU WHITES .... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

popeyedoyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by popeyedoyle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 pm

When Parky moved Morais into centre midfield for the last 20 mins v wombles we started creating more chances. It may be worth trying Morais behind the front 2 if his legs are up to it. I reckon Fleetwood will have been working all week on how to nullify Madine, it may be worth trying Morais behind Alf and Clayton or VSO.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Bored for something to watch, I had Unspun with Matt Forde on Telly... Whilst doing an impersonation of Donald Trump, he managed to get in the line "Bolton Wanderers 3, Fleetwood Town Nil"... It's a sign, I tells you.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:19 am

If Wabara is fit go back to Madine up top on his own.

Play Vela with Derik and Morais in a more advanced role.

Henry and Viv on the wings.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

Big decision whether to go with a back three or a back four. Back three allows for a front two, which more easily accommodates ALF; back four means a formation hingeing on Madine. (Yes, I know we could play other people and other formations, but also we could take up playing the fiddle with our toes, and that ain't happening either.)

If Wabara is fit enough, I'd go for the 4-2-3-1. It's got us our best results and better suits our two best centre-backs; furthermore, it's not like the back three has produced many stellar performances – we've lacked punch at the front and solidity at the back. I would love ALF to score but for this game I'd be bringing him on as sub.

In midfield, I agree that it’s not perfect to pair Derik and Thorpe but they better suit the “2” in a 4231, covering overlapping fullbacks, than being two-third of the central midfield in a 352, standing in front of three centre-backs. The 4231 also gives Vela more scope to get forward; in essence, when we have the ball it should become more of a 244 formation, with the fullbacks offering the midfield width while the front four buzz around each other.

Besides which, this is a hard game travelling to a top-two team in strong form. It may not be a bad idea to have two lads in midfield who have made a living by putting their foot in.

Out wide, Morais is a shoo-in. I'd go for Henry over VSO (sub for late pace) or ALF (sub for late vital goal). Again, I'd love Henry to prove his worth; a repeat of that goal against Scunny would suit me down to the bootstraps, thanks.

Wabara-Wheater-Beevers-Taylor
............Derik-Thorpe............
Henry..........Vela..........Morais
................Madine................

Annoying that Long is still suspended as we could do with introducing his pace if Fleetwood are pushing on late on. Still, maybe ALF can find the gaps.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:19 am
Play Vela with Derik and Morais in a more advanced role.

Henry and Viv on the wings.
Yeah, I can see this version, but I think Parky might be more likely to start solid and get more adventurous from there if necessary (eg sub Thorpe for Viv and switch to the formation you suggest). And on this occasion, I'd agree with him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am

Viv? Anderson? Are we that bereft? :conf:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:06 am

Problem with Morais and Henry is that from what I've seen the biggest attribute of each is their delivery, so both are neutered out on the left. Still, the 4231 DSB outline is the lest bad option I think. Possibly be tempted to get Alf in on the left for Henry.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.