Red Rose, what a load of cobblers. Northampton, Home 3-0'clock Sat 18th March.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Red Rose, what a load of cobblers. Northampton, Home 3-0'clock Sat 18th March.

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Dancing in the streets of Albefeira
Pfffft.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Red Rose, what a load of cobblers. Northampton, Home 3-0'clock Sat 18th March.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 pm
Dancing on the streets of Cambodia
Lost inside Cambodia? :D

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:46 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm
We are going up I say we are going up
This. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Out for the second half so checking with flashscore on mobile. Bluddy thing put it to 2-2 in inj time. Nearly had myself a heart attack. :shock:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Ground that win out. Thought Northampton were excellent at nullifying us for an hour. We got on top when they scored.

Far from convinced with 3 at the back generally, I guess it is working, but I just feel we aren't balanced. Taylor looks out of sorts at wing backs and our back 3 is getting dragged about by pace and I don't feel we look as solid. I also think the system isn't getting the best out of Vela.

Anyhow, it's a win. And we are second. Get a result at Oxford in our game in hand and then I might start to believe second is on. Certainly winning today has proven to be huge in the end.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:19 pm

The whole world rejoiceth at a battling win Insaney and we are now in second place in the league, something that at season start seemed a long way off, but you thought Northampton were excellent? This is how it's going to be, we're just another team to beat to everybody else, special only to us. Rejoice man.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 pm

I think he said they were excellent at nullifying us, not excellent on the whole.

The first half we had 1 shot on target.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:33 pm

No doubt that we got a great result today but I'm still far from convinced that PP has a plan B or knows how to change a game. We were creating very little today and the long diagonal from front to back became painful. Once again, Long got warmed up, stripped off and ready, only to put his coat back on. Right at a time when we needed some pace in behind them and another option, PP decided to leave things alone.

Personally, I thought we were lucky today. The ref was possibly the worst ive seen this season, which is saying something and right at the death they could have stolen a point.

After two games in which we've won through craft, not graft, today was a complete reversal of that. It's now in our own hands but I'm far from convinced we'll take 2nd spot.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:36 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:13 pm
One of the best punk songs ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

specially for Dave Suttons barnet
LIKE.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:36 pm
nelson66 wrote:

LIKE.
Still have it on 7" vinyl along with the album Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

I don't understand the pessimism. On another day, we could have scored five - the two goals, Wheater's tame effort, ALF's one-on-one and the moment when their keeper had a 'mare. They had two attempts, scored from one, and had the other ruled out for offside. If every clear-cut chance is a goal, that puts us 5-2 up.

We're second in the league because Parkinson has put together three separate sides capable of winning - one in August, one including the deadline day signings, one after losing our two playmakers in January. We've gone from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2. Parkinson has no plan B? Bollocks.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:33 pm
No doubt that we got a great result today but I'm still far from convinced that PP has a plan B or knows how to change a game. We were creating very little today and the long diagonal from front to back became painful. Once again, Long got warmed up, stripped off and ready, only to put his coat back on. Right at a time when we needed some pace in behind them and another option, PP decided to leave things alone.

Personally, I thought we were lucky today. The ref was possibly the worst ive seen this season, which is saying something and right at the death they could have stolen a point.

After two games in which we've won through craft, not graft, today was a complete reversal of that. It's now in our own hands but I'm far from convinced we'll take 2nd spot.
Can't agree. You can't analyse a game without seeing what the opposition did. Northampton made it very hard to break them down. Two banks of four. Forced us to go long at times. They nullified our wing backs. Ultimately they could defend set pieces whereas Fleetwood and Gillingham couldn't. That's the real difference.

Parky was going to change it with Long then we got on top. Thankfully he didn't as we scored twice.

There is a nonsense notion that if they opposition do their jobs well or we have an off day or whatever that it is always something a manager is at fault for. Other teams will do what Northampton did today. There isn't a magic answer. We lack a bit of creative inspiration but those players aren't here anymore and we have to grind results out when the going is tough.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 pm
I think he said they were excellent at nullifying us, not excellent on the whole.

The first half we had 1 shot on target.
I know, it was just a small wind up.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm
I don't understand the pessimism. On another day, we could have scored five - the two goals, Wheater's tame effort, ALF's one-on-one and the moment when their keeper had a 'mare. They had two attempts, scored from one, and had the other ruled out for offside. If every clear-cut chance is a goal, that puts us 5-2 up.

We're second in the league because Parkinson has put together three separate sides capable of winning - one in August, one including the deadline day signings, one after losing our two playmakers in January. We've gone from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2. Parkinson has no plan B? Bollocks.
Absolutely agree with this. Today was far from our best performance, but we ground out the result in the end and to be honest, whilst not creating as many chances as previous games, we did limit them to basically 2 serous attempts.

Ref was awful - christ knows how many times he let them off for hand ball and climbing on our players. Just before our equaliser there were 2 decent shouts for pens in their box which he ignored, and ironically, the pen he gave us in the end was for a very dubious hand ball (think he gave it for the crowds reaction rather than anything else).

For those still being negative and saying there's no plan B, can I remind you of recent comments about how disastrous it would be when we lost Clough and Ameobi, and how signing ALF and Morais was not good business, and then point you in the direction of our last 3 results: we've played the form-team in the division of the park on their own turf, destroyed an average Gillingham team away from home, and then ground out a decent win against a team who came to the Macron trying to get a draw.

Personally I don't think we've done too badly to be honest....

Also - and never thought I'd say this - special shout out to Pratley over the last couple of games - has breezed back into the team and has worked his socks off and had a couple of very decent appearances.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Sometimes, you just have to take the result. This seems like one of those days. Didn't go to the game, because I was watching the egg chasing but when it's all said n done, we're in an automatic promotion spot, with a game in hand or more if you look past Fleetwood and a reducing number of games to go.

Had you offered this to me last July, I'd have taken it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I missed the Scunthorpe game but its a long time since I've seen a winning goal celebrated like that. An explosion of joy and relief.

The old ticker could have done with Alf playing in Madine in the 94th minute & sealing the victory rather than that heartstopping last kick of the game!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Never mind all this I want to know how rubbish it was from Peter Tomo :D.

Wins a win and we left it late but we were deffo due a pen and for me that was one. Sick of not getting decisions in the box you would get outside.

Decent day elsewhere other than Bradford. Big one Tuesday and we owe Oxford one.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 pm

It's not so long ago that Scunthorpe were looking hard to catch!! We are now 5 pts clear of them with 2 in hand!! Funny old game ain't it..

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Wins a win and we left it late but we were deffo due a pen and for me that was one. Sick of not getting decisions in the box you would get outside.

Decent day elsewhere other than Bradford. Big one Tuesday and we owe Oxford one.
A bit childish that don't you think ?

I didn't go yesterday....but it was a fantastic win.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 pm

A bit childish that don't you think ?

I didn't go yesterday....but it was a fantastic win.
Seems accurate to me. You never seem to be around if everything's going well.

But hey, if you're happy, we're all happy!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:49 pm

nelson66 wrote:

Cheers. So that's now at least two Dead Kennedys song titles I've lived out, the other being...