The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Only a day away, so...

We've had the M.K Dons, now for the Oxford variety, the superior ones.....

The clever men at Oxford
Know all that there is to be knowed.
But they none of them know one half as much
As intelligent Mr. Toad!”................................Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Let it roll with the views.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The other Dons.....Oxford away Tues 21-03-17...7.45

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm

See, I'd have shoehorned in my favourite Laurel and Hardy. A Chump at Oxford. Then posted a photo of Madine :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 pm

got a ticket, looking forward to it. excited to see ALF mk2 and this Morais messiah in the flesh! and 3 points would be massive!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

We didn't manage a shot on target against them last go. Certainly need to change for this go. Worried about this one...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Tough tough game. A point would be great. 3 would be dreamland

1-1
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

We're probably due a tonking after a couple of wins!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

A wanderers win to keep us all happy!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 pm

We will, of course, .....win...!! Carpe Diem...(or the evening as it may be) ...COME ON YOU WHITES....... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 am

Every game is the same value now chasing the point, and energy levels are paramount. With our two games in a week spell lately I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Long and Henry being used a bit more. Even though he's got a pretty settled sidePhil won't mess with the defence although he'll probably get Spearing back in right away in midfied, but up front will depend on if the goals are coming. Karajan also might get a show.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 am

We're on a run finally, and simply have to try and stay on it as long as possible.

Tonight will be very tough. But then again I don't think there is an easy game left between now and the end of the season. The other side is, there isn't a game we cannot win if we maintain the intensity levels and ALF keeps banging the goals in.

Tonight might tell us quite a lot.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am

Aye, none where you wouldn't fancy us but none you'd be surprised if we got beat. We are streaky though so hopefully we're only just kicking on to this roll. Putting 5 or 6 wins together on the bounce at this stage can take you away from people.

Thought when the table ran Scunny - us - Fleetwood we'd finish 3rd ahead of Scunny but behind Fleetwood. Think it's now 50-50 between us and them. Couple of big weeks.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am
Aye, none where you wouldn't fancy us but none you'd be surprised if we got beat. We are streaky though so hopefully we're only just kicking on to this roll. Putting 5 or 6 wins together on the bounce at this stage can take you away from people.

Thought when the table ran Scunny - us - Fleetwood we'd finish 3rd ahead of Scunny but behind Fleetwood. Think it's now 50-50 between us and them. Couple of big weeks.
Aye. If we win the next 4/5 then I think we'll breeze it (unless Fleetwood do something mental). Even if we have a sticky spell we'll have enough about us to grind enough points out to get over the line. The worry is if the run ends next couple of games and we have another sticky spell now it might leave us too much to do.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 am

Tonight will be very tough. But then again I don't think there is an easy game left between now and the end of the season. The other side is, there isn't a game we cannot win if we maintain the intensity levels and ALF keeps banging the goals in.
The Bristol Rovers game hangs heavily in my mind, as does Swindon, and come to think of it.... Oxford.

All games we 'should' have won comfortably. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we're not beyond making an absolute dog's dick of any game.

A bunch of 1-0's from hereon in will do us fine. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 am

The Bristol Rovers game hangs heavily in my mind, as does Swindon, and come to think of it.... Oxford.

All games we 'should' have won comfortably. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we're not beyond making an absolute dog's dick of any game.

A bunch of 1-0's from hereon in will do us fine. ;)
Well yes. I don't think there is any game we "should win". Games we have left we are capable of winning them all. Equally the opposition in every case is capable of beating us.

Northampton raised their game Saturday and nullified us really well. They came close to a result. On paper they were on of the easier ones left but it didn't work out like that.

All about holding nerve, and not letting up. Oxford having beaten Scunny last time out, being very good at home, and having beaten us earlier in the season are arguably favourites for tonight.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm

It's all about holding ones nerve now and the team that does that best will finish 2nd. I'm more hopeful than confident as I still think we have a soft belly (as opposed to the bollockless shysters of recent seasons). A win tonight will be huge though :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:28 pm

What on earth is the matter with you all? 3-0 us, no make that 4-0....it's our time... :mrgreen: :oyea: :oyea:

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

2-0 to us. Its a dead-cert - you can bet your car keys or house on it.

Spearing and Alfie to score (1 free kick from Morais and one header from a Morais cross).

Its written in the stars....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm
It's all about holding ones nerve now and the team that does that best will finish 2nd. I'm more hopeful than confident as I still think we have a soft belly (as opposed to the bollockless shysters of recent seasons). A win tonight will be huge though :)
I wouldn't say a soft belly. I think we're very reliant on a few key players fitness and form. If Morais were to get injured....I think that would be trouble. Same with Pratley and Spearing...Thorpe and Derik simply aren't good enough.

I also think we're playing a system that doesn't entirely suit us to cover up for the players we lack (quality in midfield and someone with a left foot). And the system takes away a bit of our solidity we had pre-Christmas at the back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm

System is a funny one. Don't think we'll change having won 3 on the bounce but don't think it suits anyone apart from ALF. Now Spearing is back there's a case to be made for looking at it again, but also a case for saying ALF is the right person for us to be looking to suit. Think as long as we're getting Morais in good positions and none of the other wingers looks like doing anything, we'll stay as we are.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:47 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm
I wouldn't say a soft belly. I think we're very reliant on a few key players fitness and form. If Morais were to get injured....I think that would be trouble. Same with Pratley and Spearing...Thorpe and Derik simply aren't good enough.

I also think we're playing a system that doesn't entirely suit us to cover up for the players we lack (quality in midfield and someone with a left foot). And the system takes away a bit of our solidity we had pre-Christmas at the back.
For me Madine is soft as shite and when the going gets tough he's more likely to whinge than get going. Don't get me wrong, he's doing ok at the moment, but he's a head dropper. We've a couple of others that have shown an inclination to hide in the past and I don't think we can conclude they're cured in less than a year. We've moved on a huge amount and the team deserve a lot of credit for it, but I still think we're still susceptible to pressure, of which there will be a lot of in the coming weeks.