The countdown- Where will we finish?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Where will we finish the season?

Champions
8%
Runners Up
49%
1st Play off spot
31%
2nd Play off spot
8%
3rd Play off spot
3%
Final play off spot
No votes
Failure
No votes

Total votes: 61

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The countdown- Where will we finish?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Squeaky bum time tends to come when the sides involved have staggered matches. Unless and until Sky windmill in – which is likely, given a close promotion race; they work on a “rolling five-week minimum”, meaning they could still change any games on the penultimate weekend – these are the remaining games for us and the three teams nearest to us (if we catch Blades we’re laughing, if we get caught by Millwall we’re not).

Our game in hand on Fleetwood is next Tuesday, so hopefully we’ll be in front. That weekend, Scunny and Bratfurt face each other on the Sunday and might hopefully cancel each other out. Ten days after that we play the night before Fleetwood, but then at Easter it switches: everyone else plays on Good Friday and Easter Monday but in each case we’ve got the derbies against Oldham and Bury a day later.

Sat 18 Mar (all 3pm unless stated)
BW-Northmptn
Bratfurt-Swindon
Fishies-Wimbledon
Oxford-Scunny

Tue 21 Mar
Oxford-BW (7.45pm)

Sat 25 Mar
Bury-Fishies
Shrews-BW
Sun 26 Mar
Scunny-Bratfurt (12.30pm)

Sat 1 Apr
BW-Spireites
Bratfurt-Walsall
Fishies-Swindon
Miwwaww-Scunny

Tue 4 Apr
Sarfend-BW (7.45pm)
Wed 5 Apr
Oxford-Fishies (7.45pm)

Sat 8 Apr
Bury-Bratfurt
Owdham-Fishies
Scunny-BW

Fri 14 Apr
Bratfurt-Oxford
MK Dons-Scunny
Peterborough-Fishies
Sat 15 Apr
Oldham-BW (12.30pm)

Mon 17
Blades-Bratfurt (12.15pm)
Fishies-Miwwaww
Scunny-Spireites
Tue 18 Apr
BW-Bury (8pm)

Sat 22 Apr
Bratfurt-Wimbledon
Gills-Fishies
Vale-BW
Swindon-Scunny

Sun 30 Apr (all at noon)
BW-Peterborough
Fishies-Vale
Rochdale-Bratfurt
Scunny-Coventry

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Its not the kindest of run ins really. I suspect we need to win at least 7 if we want to go up automatically.

Oxford, Southend and Scunthorpe away on paper are the hardest games. But I've seen many a derby match be tricky especially when under pressure to win.

Looking at that out of all the teams involved you'd have to say Fleetwood must be favourites.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:08 pm
Looking at that out of all the teams involved you'd have to say Fleetwood must be favourites.
Nah - you'd have to say that. :D

A more optimistic soul would say they play:
Dons, who held us;
Bury, who we also play;
Swindon, who beat us at our place;
Oxford, the night after we hopefully pile pressure on by winning in advance;
Oldham, who we also play;
Posh, where we lost;
Millwall, who are in fine form;
Gillingham, oh alright then;
Port Vale, who we also play.

It’s all in the mind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not sure, given the uncertainty of it all, how you deduce that as a fact Insaney. Favourites for what: automatic promotion, winning the league or going up as a play off winner? What. and why them?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nah - you'd have to say that. :D

A more optimistic soul would say they play:
Dons, who held us;
Bury, who we also play;
Swindon, who beat us at our place;
Oxford, the night after we hopefully pile pressure on by winning in advance;
Oldham, who we also play;
Posh, where we lost;
Millwall, who are in fine form;
Gillingham, oh alright then;
Port Vale, who we also play.

It’s all in the mind.
Still, you'd swap their run in for ours right?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not sure, given the uncertainty of it all, how you deduce that as a fact Insaney. Favourites for what: automatic promotion, winning the league or going up as a play off winner? What. and why them?
Their fixtures seem kindest for the run-in.

I'd say looking at run-ins barring Scunthorpe really re-finding their pre-Christmas form suddenly, its probably us or Fleetwood for 2nd. I'd give them the slight edge based on the respective run ins.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm
I don't think I would. This is a weird old league anyway and sometimes the "easier" fixtures may not be. I also seem to recall Port Vale had an easier run-in than us in '93.

Besides, we can waste a whole load of our lives green-grassing over the fence. Just take 'em on, win, roll on. :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Playing football on paper is a fools game...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm
I don't think I would. This is a weird old league anyway and sometimes the "easier" fixtures may not be. I also seem to recall Port Vale had an easier run-in than us in '93.

Besides, we can waste a whole load of our lives green-grassing over the fence. Just take 'em on, win, roll on. :D
It is a weird league. And we're a weird team. But we're still in it. Which is a huge achievement, especially on the part of the manager and his coaching staff.

If we miss out on the automatic spot, we could, if we don't suffer more injuries go into the play offs in reasonable form and with some players who are still relatively fresh.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm

It's still in our hands. At this stage in the season I'd take that all day long. Bury is the game that worries me most. They're on form and historically always play above themselves against us
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 pm

This time next week, we'll have played our game in hand. Two wins would put pressure their way... Win and a loss might put it ours..

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 am

And so eight games remain , a remarkable run of results has really put us in the driving seat. Our superior goal difference is like an extra point, so sort of 5 points clear which means two wins to overtake us. I guess 4 wins from our remaining matches would mean Fleetwood having to win six of theirs. I am fully expecting two wins in our next two games to put further pressure on the chasers. Would be nice to be celebrating promotion against the bucket shakers at home !
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 am
And so eight games remain , a remarkable run of results has really put us in the driving seat. Our superior goal difference is like an extra point, so sort of 5 points clear which means two wins to overtake us. I guess 4 wins from our remaining matches would mean Fleetwood having to win six of theirs. I am fully expecting two wins in our next two games to put further pressure on the chasers. Would be nice to be celebrating promotion against the bucket shakers at home !
Have a feeling we might come unstuck at Shrewsbury somehow. They have found form at home. And I feel the exploits of the last few games might catch up with us a bit. Definitely had some tired legs last night and seemingly a few injury concerns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 am

Have a feeling we might come unstuck at Shrewsbury somehow. They have found form at home. And I feel the exploits of the last few games might catch up with us a bit. Definitely had some tired legs last night and seemingly a few injury concerns.
Respectfully, good buddy, you've spent almost all season predicting much the same for every game. Give yourself a vacation and take a trip on the optimism bus. You know it makes sense! :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 am

Respectfully, good buddy, you've spent almost all season predicting much the same for every game. Give yourself a vacation and take a trip on the optimism bus. You know it makes sense! :oyea:

I rarely predict us to win either, Tango. As soon as I feel confident that we will stuff the opposition we mess it up. It is a bit like wearing lucky underpants. I just don't do it any more. Can come across as negative but it is the hope that kills you.

BWFC Insane - We have a number of players who haven't played much this season so I am not expecting them to 'hit the wall' just yet. Spearing has just had a few weeks rest and then ALF, Long, Pratley, Dervite, Osede, Karacan, Clayton and Morais haven't played much this season. I am hoping their freshness will help us during the run in.

I was worried more for Vela but he looked like he was still full of running late on last night. Wheater, Beevers and Taylor have been stalwarts this season but defenders do not normally suffer the same staleness as midfielders and forwards.

A big two games coming up that will could define where we finish this season. COYWM.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:08 am

Confidence breeds Confidence! Take Fleetwood for example,went 18 games unbeaten before facing us at home,not the best team in this league,but played with confidence,which took them from mid -table to 2nd spot...BELIEVE..

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Fck being pessimistic. I still reckon were going to be champions.
Businesswoman of the year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 pm

With the position that we've now put ourselves in, anything less than 2nd, I think, has to be classed as a failure.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 pm
With the position that we've now put ourselves in, anything less than 2nd, I think, has to be classed as a failure.
Agree with Bruce on this....

I'm confident that we'll get 2nd, we have momentum at the right time if the players show the same effort, energy, desire & determination that they have shown for the past 4 games, and if they continue to play in the same way that they have recently in regards to being more attacking - we probably need 86 / 87 points, so another 5 wins or 4 wins & a couple of draws should be enough.

If the players continue to be fired up, show the same 100% commitment and play each game as a cup final we should get 2nd, which would be a fantastic achievement for PP & the players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Entirely depends on injuries and fitness of key players.

We're reliant on vibrancy of Spearing and Pratley in midfield, Madine up front, Beevers, Wheater at the back. Morais to supply Vela to run.

Couple of those get injured and its a big ask. Keep them all fit, and I think we've a great chance.