Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Somewhere to speculate frenziedly about results, make prophecies and tell Phil who should or shouldn't play....Away you go.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:13 pm

If no Madine he needs to be hammering it into the heads of everyone that launched balls are a waste of time. Clayton or Long could both make a significant contribution if we play to their strengths

1--1 draw
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:13 pm
If no Madine he needs to be hammering it into the heads of everyone that launched balls are a waste of time. Clayton or Long could both make a significant contribution if we play to their strengths

1--1 draw

I have been thinking about our game plan last week. I think most of the time the players were trying to hit balls over the top of the defenders for Long to run onto. I'm not sure of the floaters that they played though. Either way I agree, it didn't work and we will struggle if we do the same against Scunthorpe.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:54 pm

The trouble when Madine doesn't play is that we don't hold the ball up front. In this system if leaves us with no real outball. I think that is a big reason. If we had Ameobi on the wing we'd have a better outlet who could hold the ball against defenders.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Phil hints in the B.N he might give young Max a starting line spot? We'll have to cut down on the wallop balls if he does as he and Alf are not exactly Conan and Hercules.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:54 pm
The trouble when Madine doesn't play is that we don't hold the ball up front. In this system if leaves us with no real outball. I think that is a big reason. If we had Ameobi on the wing we'd have a better outlet who could hold the ball against defenders.
I agree that it doesn't stick up there when Madine is missing. I believe, though I know you don't, that our midfield are capable of playing football on the deck and creating opportunities. A middle three of Vela, Spearing and Pratley might not be the most creative but they should be as good as any middle 3 in this division. They really need to step up if no Madine
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I agree that it doesn't stick up there when Madine is missing. I believe, though I know you don't, that our midfield are capable of playing football on the deck and creating opportunities. A middle three of Vela, Spearing and Pratley might not be the most creative but they should be as good as any middle 3 in this division. They really need to step up if no Madine
See, Harry, the Chesterfield game. It didn't look to me that we changed our "team orders" to accommodate Madine not being there. But I don't think that was the midfielder's "choice", I think it was our "team orders" from Parky.

The reason I think it was that way, is because (to me) we so obviously tried to change it second half, that I can only assume, first half the team plan was "get the ball up to Alf/Longy" at the first oppo...and when they got in at HT, they were told to change it, as it clearly wasn't working...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I'd start long if Madines injured. Scunthorpe need the win, weren't the quickest at the back and are at home. All points to gaps behind the defence.

Hoping this lot have shot their bolt and are a shadow of the side we played NYE.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:16 pm

1-1. Wheater for us, Ian Botham for them.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am

On missing madine tomorrow...
.“Anything that goes against you should be used to tighten up the spirit within the group, and I do think we’ve done that.”
You certainly have parky you little beauty!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am
.“Anything that goes against you should be used to tighten up the spirit within the group, and I do think we’ve done that.”
So are you going to this? Because we then have Parky as manager of the month.

So might as well chalk this up as a loss then!

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am

If Madine's out then I think that we're going to have to sit back and invite them onto us, then try and hit them on the break.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
There is no balance imo. Not one of those players is comfortable taking the ball from the back 3 and moving it on quickly. They are all good at what they do, but slicing teams up either with some quick passing or movement is 100% not what they are good at. We'd kill for a Tony Kelly right now.

For me the difference first half and second half against Chesterfield was they stepped up and started winning the ball back higher up the pitch. But that leaves you potentially exposed behind. So a balancing act. Also tires you out more.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 am
LeverEnd wrote:

I am! I've explained on another post why my presence will almost certainly ensure victory.

Unless Dibble runs me over. He lives in the same city but doesn't know what i look like fortunately.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:34 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 am
LeverEnd wrote:

I am! I've explained on another post why my presence will almost certainly ensure victory.

Unless Dibble runs me over. He lives in the same city but doesn't know what i look like fortunately.

Oh bloody hell.

In that case, I'm going to stick a fiver on a Scunny victory. Hopefully, my bad luck when it comes to betting will counteract the inevitable consequences that come with your presence in the stands. :)
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
There is no balance imo. Not one of those players is comfortable taking the ball from the back 3 and moving it on quickly. They are all good at what they do, but slicing teams up either with some quick passing or movement is 100% not what they are good at. We'd kill for a Tony Kelly right now.

For me the difference first half and second half against Chesterfield was they stepped up and started winning the ball back higher up the pitch. But that leaves you potentially exposed behind. So a balancing act. Also tires you out more.
I haven't seen (m)any(body) better than Vela in the final third this season. Think it's harsh to lump him in. Agree we struggle to get there on the deck though.

Without Nadine I think we have to play with wingers which means changing shape or dropping one of the club captain, previous club captain our top scorer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:55 am

Can't move round here for rabbit's feet and human sacrifices... :D
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 am
We'd kill for a Tony Kelly right now.
Well, you might, and so might many of us, but even in a five-man midfield I don't think Parky would tolerate someone who did no running and had a lax attitude to fitness. In the end, even Rioch fired him.
Nicko58 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am
If Madine's out then I think that we're going to have to sit back and invite them onto us, then try and hit them on the break.
It's not like we've always been on the front foot in away games this season... I genuinely can't remember a Bolton team that looked so comfortable defending. What needs to change is that we need to hit balls which suit the recipient - not high balls for Madine to bully the centre-backs, but played into feet for Clayton or in behind for Long, something which might be easier at Scunthorpe than at home to Chesterfield. And it's something Parky is perfectly aware of:
Parky said, Iles wrote:Longy needs space in behind and they (Chesterfield) came here, sat deep and made it difficult to get the service in for him. He’s a player we’ve seen recently on our travels that when teams are pushing on to you he can exploit the space in behind. We could never really give him the service he wanted.
That kind of quick back-to-front pass sending through a pacy striker might easily be labelled "a long ball" or, due to it probably not being a daisy-cutter, a "Madine ball". But if the players know what they are doing, it can be a devastating weapon - not unlike the ones from which Ricketts fired us to our last promotion, when Allardyce's team got 14 away wins compared to 10 at home.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 am
Without Nadine I think we have to play with wingers which means changing shape or dropping one of the club captain, previous club captain our top scorer.
Unusually, I disagree with you, Pru. I think Madine is harder to replace as the 1 in a 4231 than as one of two up top; I also doubt the point of playing two wingers if they haven't got a head to aim at (notwithstanding Madine's inconsistent attacking of crosses).

Personally, I'd replace Madine with Long and look to get in behind them right from the start; it might not work immediately but even if it only means they drop the back-line deeper that means they have fewer bodies up the park applying pressure. It's possibly going to be a long day, so I'm glad I'm not the nervous superstitious type...

For the record, though, I think he may start with Clayton then bring Long on later in the usual "fast sub v tired legs" move.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I think we'll look to play on the counter with those 3 all pressing the ball and having a couple of quicker lads in front of them, it could be the way to go
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm

We'll lose and Fleetwood will win. It is 100% nailed on. No chance that Bolton will ever just go up without some late drama or twist.

Can feel it in my water!