What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: What will we need if we're in the Championship next season?

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 pm

We don't need Mavies, but we do need a creative midfielder

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:58 am

twilight wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 pm
we do need a creative midfielder
We do, but we probably can't afford one. Even when/if we get promoted it's quite possible that next year's budget will be smaller than this year's, given that this year's is the fag-end of the Garry/Eddie era. Promotion will help, but not end, the financial problems: it makes us more attractive to investors, but more susceptible to the greed of players and agents. Wouldn't surprise me if we go from having one of the top three budgets to one of the bottom three.

So, for the creative midfielder and target man we'll unarguably need, we may have to beg steal or borrow. West Ham's Josh Cullen might be the passer; for the fella up front, it might be someone like the Juke (possibly even the Juke himself if Birmingham get a new manager with a fat chequebook).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Jukes a good shout
Did we sign madine cos he went to burnley?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:13 pm

The Juke signed for Birmingham for £1m. I don't think we will be paying anywhere near that for all the signings combined.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:13 pm
The Juke signed for Birmingham for £1m. I don't think we will be paying anywhere near that for all the signings combined.
I agree. I was talking about loans.

Juke is almost certainly above our pay bracket but as I say that depends on who's in charge. If the new owners get a new manager and encourage him to sign new players, our old mate might find himself in the background, nursing a contract which runs until 2020 but keen to actually play some football. Just a thought, really, I imagine Parky will have plenty of his own big-man targets in mind.

I'm actually more intrigued as to whether a Blackburn relegation might give us an in with Liam Feeney... did well for us in a shit team, and is just the type of hard-working wide-man Parky might like...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:55 pm
Jukes a good shout
Did we sign madine cos he went to burnley?
No. He was loaned in by Freedman in spring 2014, scored 7 in 20 (probably his most productive period as a goalscorer) and when Boro sold him that summer he wanted to return, so much so that he delayed accepting the contract offer from freshly-promoted-to-Premier-League Burnley, who had agreed terms with Boro. He very graciously gave us a day to make an offer, but in an ominous harbinger of things to come we couldn't agree the structure of the payments to the Smoggies, so he went to Turf Moor.

This was the summer we shunted Alex Baptiste to Blackburn on loan and released a few players - Eagles, Mears, Moritz, Knight – but we also signed freebies Trotter, Feeney, Dervite, Moxey and Danns. In the end, we didn't sign any strikers, though we borrowed Joe Mason in August. In early October, Freedman left. Nine days later, we appointed Neil Lennon (overlooking other options including some bloke called Chris Hughton. Wonder where he is now?), who signed Madine on a freebie the following summer.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm

The Juke partnering ALF up front would be just lovely.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 pm
We don't need Mavies, but we do need a creative midfielder
Craig Sibbald is a creative midfielder would be a great pick up Arfield left Falkirk and done pretty well in championship and EPL went down with more first team football than anybody his age another cracker is McGrandles out of contract at Norwich would be another one to look at if he is over the injuries still a young player like Sibbald

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Ali Crawford at Hamilton is 25 has a year to go on his contract good little technical player gets goal from midfield seven already this year scores against Rangers and Celtic pulls the strings in midfield deadly floating in off the right cracking player who should have moved to a bigger team by now like McCarthy and MacArthur

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Kenny McLean at Aberdeen has a year left on his deal another good technical player who is quite physical and good in the air can play up front to or the number ten roke think he would do well in the championship

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Another midfielder I rate is Blair Alston at St Johnstone was surprised no English teams picked him up when he left Falkirk prob one of the better midfielders in the league outside the AF

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 pm

What % of the deals would you make?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 pm
malcd1 wrote:

Juke is almost certainly above our pay bracket but as I say that depends on who's in charge. If the new owners get a new manager and encourage him to sign new players, our old mate might find himself in the background, nursing a contract which runs until 2020 but keen to actually play some football. Just a thought, really, I imagine Parky will have plenty of his own big-man targets in mind.

I'm actually more intrigued as to whether a Blackburn relegation might give us an in with Liam Feeney... did well for us in a shit team, and is just the type of hard-working wide-man Parky might like...
The Juke would be a great loan signing but he is playing on a fairly regular basis at the moment. Like you said DSB, it might need a change of ownership or management to change that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 pm
malcd1 wrote:

The Juke would be a great loan signing but he is playing on a fairly regular basis at the moment. Like you said DSB, it might need a change of ownership or management to change that.
For sure. I don't think the ownership is going to change but the management may well do; only this morning the board out out a carefully-phrased statement asking the fans to back Zola (no indication that he'd be there next season, for instance).

Although I think there's a very good chance the Juke won't be their first-choice striker by August, I would rate it as a low possibility that we'd get him. As I say, PP will surely not be short of ideas on the target-man front.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Lee Anderson posted something on Twitter earlier. Of the nine teams at the bottom of League 1, at the weekend, they managed 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Bearing in mind that two of those teams played each other (Chesterfield and Port Vale), our next three games may not be straightforward, especially as two are local derbies.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I think any creative players we get for next season might well be loans from bloated Premiership squads. Lets hope we find the next Tammy Abraham...

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 pm
I think any creative players we get for next season might well be loans from bloated Premiership squads. Lets hope we find the next Tammy Abraham...
Were is the ambition at least picking up hungry young players for free they can be punted on loans cant if they do well.Scottish championship clubs have great record in selling on talent to the championship who go on and thrive they win the league or get promoted Teams like Bolton should follow Sheff Utd example and trust the market up here again.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 am

ally.morrison wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Were is the ambition at least picking up hungry young players for free they can be punted on loans cant if they do well.Scottish championship clubs have great record in selling on talent to the championship who go on and thrive they win the league or get promoted Teams like Bolton should follow Sheff Utd example and trust the market up here again.
We have a long record of getting stuck with useless stumps. I'll let Parky get on with it thanks...

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Some of your best ever players have been Scottish plenty of talent still up tapped up here that skint clubs will look at Bolton is a easy place to settle to mind Wigan winning the cup with Maloney G Caldwell McArthur McCarthy

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
While I'm all for your export drive, Ally, I don't get this bit. According to my instruments, since arriving at Bramall Lane last June Chris Wilder has signed players from Birmingham, Bury, Oldham, Coventry, Brentford, Oxford, Bury again, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday, Bury again again, MK Dons, Burnley and Bradford; he has also loaned players in from Middlesbrough, Wolves, Burnley, Man United and Chesterfield. None of these clubs are particularly Caledonian, and the only son of the Saltire among those players is John Fleck, Tom Thorpe's assailant (see below) who hasn't played north of the border since before the London Olympics.

In fact, of the 77 players (including loanees) the Blades have signed over the last five years, only three have been Scots hired from north of the border: Stefan Scougall, Marc McNulty and Jason Holt. Only Scougall has been anything like a regular this season; McNulty has been loaned out twice and Holt was only ever loaned in for spring/summer 2015.