Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Latic Acid Test. Oldham Athletic - Away. Sat 15th Apr 17 @ 12.30

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm

We'd have carried more threat generally. And created more. At the very least their centre halves would have had something to do.
On 1 hand you're saying we didn't convert chances as being the problem and on the other you're saying we didn't put ourselves about enough as the reason for not scoring. Which is it? Genuine question as I wasn't there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm
We hit the bar twice after going two up top. Let's not conveniently airbrush that out. Only Parkinson is to blame for playing ALF up top in a one.
We hit the bar twice when Wheater and Beevers won intial headers, having two up front (who did feck all) didn't really contribute to that.

We also had a point until we went two up. Not sure Clayton would get in a pub team, lad is shite.
The Clayton that hit the bar? Don't get me wrong, I don't rate him either, but you do have a tendency to shift stuff around to suit your argument.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We'd have carried more threat generally. And created more. At the very least their centre halves would have had something to do.
On 1 hand you're saying we didn't convert chances as being the problem and on the other you're saying we didn't put ourselves about enough as the reason for not scoring. Which is it? Genuine question as I wasn't there.
Both, obviously. We created chances mainly by throwing the big defenders up there. We'd have had more with someone who doesn't shirk battling the defenders.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
We hit the bar twice after going two up top. Let's not conveniently airbrush that out. Only Parkinson is to blame for playing ALF up top in a one.
We hit the bar twice when Wheater and Beevers won intial headers, having two up front (who did feck all) didn't really contribute to that.

We also had a point until we went two up. Not sure Clayton would get in a pub team, lad is shite.
We went two up top against 10 men. Don't forget that bit either.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

The Clayton that hit the bar? Don't get me wrong, I don't rate him either, but you do have a tendency to shift stuff around to suit your argument.
Was it Clayton or Long? Either way, just playing two soft lads up front doesn't make any difference.

Plenty of the ball, but nobody today really looked like they could score. Or show the flair needed to really make something happen. End of the day we've been like this since January and losing Ameobi. We've got by with efficiency. But definitely cannot cope without Madine and Taylor.

There are no words to describe Moxey, never seen a player duck out of so many 50:50's. He definitely didn't want to be on that pitch.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Both, obviously. We created chances mainly by throwing the big defenders up there. We'd have had more with someone who doesn't shirk battling the defenders.
But we didn't have anyone to convert them anyway from what you're saying. Or is the tendency Bruce mentions kicking in?

I suspect there's all sorts of reasons why struggle to score sometimes, but do try to remember that ALF is the nearest we've had to a reliable goalscorer for many seasons. He needs service in the same way Madine needs decent crosses/balls in to do his thing. As for Clayton I'm reserving judgement until he's had some sort of consistent run in the side.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Moxey, aye
More chance of me going pro and playing left back next season than us seeing that wimp in a bolton shirt. Needs a change of club (some might argue career).

FWIW when we doubled up with Vela and Morais on Tope Obadeyi first half they were all over the shop. Plenty of opportunity to cut back from byline. That kind of cross Le Fondre enjoys. As it was Morais wasted a lot of the ball and those opportunities. Moxey on the left we knew would be shite. Morais disappointed me today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:30 pm
Moxey, aye
More chance of me going pro and playing left back next season than us seeing that wimp in a bolton shirt. Needs a change of club (some might argue career).

FWIW when we doubled up with Vela and Morais on Tope Obadeyi first half they were all over the shop. Plenty of opportunity to cut back from byline. That kind of cross Le Fondre enjoys. As it was Morais wasted a lot of the ball and those opportunities. Moxey on the left we knew would be shite. Morais disappointed me today.
Morais picked our Pratley with one of those....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Moxey, aye

Was that the one that Pratley just about kept within the stadium?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:43 pm

for me, that game today was almost carbon copy of the Scunthorpe game, except with slightly more energy from us. We played into oldhams hands by punting up to Lefondre when they had big guys at the back. Apparently we played with 2 up front in the 1st half as vela was allegedly the 2nd, although I must admit I hadnt realised that! I also think the Bury game will be tough if we havent got Madine up front, as clearly Parky cant change it.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:44 pm

We are going up automatically....we could even do it on Tues if Monday's results go our way

But if for some unbelievable, unthinkable reason we manage to fcuk it up & don't go up, and somehow manage to throw away almost certain automatic promotion following the Southend win (I think we were 1/100 to go up automatically) - then could Parkinson even carry on next season after such a calamity ?

Because in my book it would be down to the manager and his tactics, more so than the players - the chairman has done all he can to help Parkinson by bringing in Long, Solomon, Karacan, Wabara etc to give the manager options in the way we play, but Parkinson only wants to play one way and has started the last 2 games with strange starting XI's handing the initiative (IMO) to the opposition before a ball has been kicked, due to his strange team selections - Scunthorpe would have been delighted to see us starting with Wilkinson as would Oldham today with just ALF upfront.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But we didn't have anyone to convert them anyway from what you're saying. Or is the tendency Bruce mentions kicking in?

I suspect there's all sorts of reasons why struggle to score sometimes, but do try to remember that ALF is the nearest we've had to a reliable goalscorer for many seasons. He needs service in the same way Madine needs decent crosses/balls in to do his thing. As for Clayton I'm reserving judgement until he's had some sort of consistent run in the side.
August/September we were struggling to open teams up. We won a couple if memory serves from 30 yard strikes a few from Clough pengies and the like.

The reason we started opening 'em up in February was a combination of factors. Mainly Morais getting crosses in and some long throws that Wheater and Beevers were getting on the end of.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:01 pm
Without Madine we clearly lack any way of opening teams up.
And this is exactly where Peter Thompson wins the argument hands-down regarding Parky having no plan B.

We've no target man but still played it long to a midget playing in a one. What the feck did he think might happen?

A special mention for Moxey today for being even shitter than his usual shit. Second in every challenge, whenever he had the ball he was either immediately dispossessed or actually passed it to a blue shirt. Howard in the nets fared little better either - questionable handling, one example of which gifted them the goal, and truly dreadful distribution, windy or not.

I don't genuinely think we can do anything else. We passed it well enough first half but there is no incision. We aren't good enough to play like that.

I think without the embargo, with a fair wind he could balance the squad a bit better. Spearing, Vela, Pratley and Derik are too pedestrian. If he has chance to improve but still goes with that next season Id say the one dimensional tag is fair. But right now I think he's simply had to maximise what he's got.

Like Allardyce early days.
Maybe. But I'd argue that he found it hard to get the best out of Clough. For his last few games he was stuck out wide, anonymous.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Moxey, aye

Was that the one that Pratley just about kept within the stadium?
Exactly!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Added highlights if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26451&p=1039846#p1039846

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

9 league games Madine hasn't started and we've scored 2 goals. Stats don't lie.

Also it is pathetic to carry a striker who can only be effective if you present him several chances in a plate. ALF needs to man up and start doing a far better job up against centre halves.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:12 pm

ALF isn't suited to playing as a lone striker with his back to goal....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 pm

True. He just isn't that kind of striker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:12 pm
ALF isn't suited to playing as a lone striker with his back to goal....
What is he suited to then? Has to do more than just expect chances handed to him.

Otherwise we are just carrying him. It isn't like he's John McGinlay in his pomp either. He does miss some.

In fact Super John wasn't a target man, but did a hell of a lot more outside the box than Le Fondre.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:19 pm

There's nothing wide other than 30 yards back. Don't know what he's supposed to do. Anyone questioning ALFs work rate wants their head checking. Dickhead can't even be bothered to grow 6 inches.

We need width high up. If not stick Darren through the middle. Tenacious yet useless, he might create some chaos.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.