Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:19 pm
Athertonian wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:15 pm
Parkinson needs to start with Long tomorrow because he has the pace needed to get behind the Bury back line. Bury will provide stubborn opponents for a Bolton team losing their last two games. Goals seem to have dried up after their recent scoring spree.
Failure to beat Bury will put even more pressure on a Bolton team struggling at the wrong time of the season.
I still fear for the future of the club.
Bury aren't going to leave space in behind. So Long's pace will be totally nullified.
Yeah. Lee Clarke's got their defence playing like George Graham's Arsenal.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:
Parkinson needs to start with Long tomorrow because he has the pace needed to get behind the Bury back line. Bury will provide stubborn opponents for a Bolton team losing their last two games. Goals seem to have dried up after their recent scoring spree.
Failure to beat Bury will put even more pressure on a Bolton team struggling at the wrong time of the season.
Bury aren't going to leave space in behind. So Long's pace will be totally nullified.
As in Oxford 5 Bury 0 (or was it 1??)?!!

I'll go for early Bury goal (pen), Bolton equalise shortly after (25 yarder), with 15 overs to go everyone's happy, they shake hands and go home. Especially if there's a threat of bad light. :shock:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Taylor & Madine will start....

4-0 Bolton, the fannies will stop panicking, BWFCI will take his dress off & put his trousers back on until the weekend....

Bury will be under as much pressure as us, if not more - there is much more pressure trying to avoid relegation

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Before the weekend we needed 6 points. We still need 6 points. Nothing has changed.

Onward and upward.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:
Bury took points of Bradford and Fleetwood away this season. They might be down the bottom, but we have to do more than just turn up. Look at Oldham, defended like their lives depended on it.

That is what Bury will do. Pressure is on us. Bury will see any result as a bonus.

Hence why we need to start quickly. Long up front is wasted at home in my view. Quite like to see him running at them down the left side.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:
Bury took points of Bradford and Fleetwood away this season. They might be down the bottom, but we have to do more than just turn up. Look at Oldham, defended like their lives depended on it.

That is what Bury will do. Pressure is on us. Bury will see any result as a bonus.

Hence why we need to start quickly. Long up front is wasted at home in my view. Quite like to see him running at them down the left side.
Morais will get the ball in behind their back line. Our problem is that we're not attacking the ball in. The worst culprit of this is your mate Madine. I take it you mean Taylor running at them down the left? Yes, me too. Absolutely. The guy's been a revelation down that side. Not that Moxey needed anybody to prove him even worse, but, you know?!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Andy Taylor player of the season for me - never stops talking & organising others....top player IMO and will make a big difference tomorrow

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:

Morais will get the ball in behind their back line. Our problem is that we're not attacking the ball in. The worst culprit of this is your mate Madine. I take it you mean Taylor running at them down the left? Yes, me too. Absolutely. The guy's been a revelation down that side. Not that Moxey needed anybody to prove him even worse, but, you know?!
I'd like to see Long on the left in front of Taylor. Go to a back four in my view now. Won't happen probably.

Madine offers a physical presence on crosses that likely distracts defenders. The delivery from Morais hasn't been as good lately,

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'd like to see Long on the left in front of Taylor. Go to a back four in my view now. Won't happen probably.

Madine offers a physical presence on crosses that likely distracts defenders. The delivery from Morais hasn't been as good lately,
Morais that's created something like 11 of of our last 12 goals or whatever it is? Yeah. The shit bastard. Yeah, let's drop him. Madine who's scored fewer goals than our centre backs?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Morais that's created something like 11 of of our last 12 goals or whatever it is? Yeah. The shit bastard. Yeah, let's drop him. Madine who's scored fewer goals than our centre backs?
I simply mean Morais in recent games hasn't produced the same consistent quality as he did at the start. He was never going to, I mean if he could have he'd not belong in league one.

Also, you hate Madine, but don't the stats entirely speak for themselves? We don't win games without him. Or score goals without him.

9 games he hasn't started, 0 wins, 2 goals scored. Whatever way you slice it, whether you can see it or not the facts speak for themselves. He does a critical job for the team. Without him, whatever we've tried, hasn't worked.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 pm

9 games he hasn't started, 0 wins, 2 goals scored. Whatever way you slice it, whether you can see it or not the facts speak for themselves. He does a critical job for the team. Without him, whatever we've tried, hasn't worked.
I don't think stats are nuanced enough to be the sole basis for an argument. There is a trend there, worrying at that, but it is a relatively small number of games that don't take into account other factors going on around those games. Who else was out? Were any of those games in the period of losing Ameobi/Clough etc? Who were the opposition and what is their defensive record like over the season? We have a tendency not to score many in most games anyway, so it wouldn't take much for us not to score any. And finally, how many of those games was the tactic still to hoof it at a midget?

They're all factors that could impact our ability to score in games. Far more factors than simply saying we were missing one player and over simplifying it to say it was mostly/entirely due to that.

Parky has done well to change things around as and when we've had major squad changes, but I think he's made errors at times by not changing things enough when we've not had the only player that makes playing the ball long in the way we do to work. I know you don't think our midfield are capable of anything other than Ray Wilkins balls, but I think you're wrong. I've seen Vela link up well with Clough resulting in a goal. He might not be capable of doing all the time, but he can sometimes. Henry hasn't set the world alight, but he's capable of opening up a defence and Morais can deliver a decent ball. Pratley is good at getting in the way which can always result in a loose ball being poked through for ALF or Long to run on to. Spearing likes a Hollywood ball (as his Pal Stevie Me did). It's not a great stretch that he plays it to run on to rather than head. Might not always work, it might be a bit frustrating when it doesn't, but it'll be more productive than hoofing it at ALF, even if it only produces a couple of goals.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 am

Morais has obviously been targeted for special attention in the opponents preparation lately, 'mark that bastard out of the game' as such his output has declined. no way he should be dropped tho! Longs pace may not be a lot of use against shakers but he is desperate to score and will shoot on sight over and over again!! would definitely like to see more of him! Likewise Henry; the only player who looked comfortable on the ball on Saturday - it was like a hot potato for most of em!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:21 am
Long said that I don't think we'll be certs for automatics, even when we were 7 points clear. We're hitting a dry spell just when Fleetwood are picking up form again. Pressure is most definitely on us, even with the (current) point gap and goal difference cushion. Bury always seem to play decently against us, and have bloodied the nose of teams around us at their place this season despite their league position; I think we'll struggle tonight. I'm thinking a draw, or possibly another frustrating 1-0 loss.

2nd place will go to the wire in my opinion.

Of course hoping that I'll be utterly wrong!

I think that is probably the most realistic assessment. We have three games that will be tight. Especially Bury and Port Vale, those teams won't roll over. And like Oldham will scrap for everything. And as you say, we are struggling to score, which makes it tough.

Reality is we just need one game where a couple of set pieces break for us and we get ahead by a couple of goals. If we do that then probably 2 draws in the other games will be good enough.

If it goes to the last day we have Peterbrough with nowt to play for whereas Fleetwood have Port Vale who hopefully still are fighting for their lives. You'd expect both us and Fleetwood to win, but you just never know.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 am

im thinking a 0-0 struggle tonight. but then on Saturday, toward the end of the 2nd half news will spread round the Hamil Road end that Fleetwood have fallen behind at Gillingham, the atmosphere will crank up to crazy, players will get word from the bench and go gung-ho then Beevers will nod in a last minute winner and 4000 wanderers pour onto the pitch.... nice no pressure promotion party at home the week after...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 am

Well, I'm hoping the Oldham game serves as a kick in the trousers. 3-0 to us.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:
They play 3 at the back, so pace out wide will be important for any game plan we have
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Jeux sans frontiéres
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jeux sans frontiéres » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm crossing my fingers that Bury take as much of a hammering tonight as my browser's refresh button will.

This feels like one of the most hotly anticipated games in a long time - perhaps even season-defining. We just need to hope that energy gets channeled properly, particularly by people like Spearing who would be the most likely contender for getting sent off for something stupid.
contrite convivial contrarian

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Betting there'll be a seasider or two amongst the Two Tubbers at the Macron tonight hoping against us. No T.V coverage so they might want to do a live visit. Pasties don't sit well with kippers or black puddings at best, so we'll just have to turn the oven up. Just win lads, nothing else matters.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

cmbfc_90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cmbfc_90 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:26 pm

I've never been as nervous before a game as I am now, praying for a win!

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Nowt less than a win tonight, no excuses for not beating teams around the relegation zone but, were not the form team.