What will we need when we're inevitably in League One next term

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What will we need when we're inevitably in League One next term

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am
The harsh realities of being self-sustaining in this league will bite hard. We'll be competing on a level field with everyone else for average league one players. If we even get out of embargo. If not we'll be behind everyone else.

People like Chris Taylor are the sort of standard we'll be affording. Remember he was part of a play off side last time out. So he'd be top end.

Beevers will be off. Wheater might stay. Rest will likely all go, barring possibly, Madine and Morais. Vela may well have offers for him higher up.

Won't be pretty.
Beevers isn't out of contract this year, so what makes you so sure that he will leave in the summer ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm
We'll be on attendances of 2, 3 times that of most plus we have a commercial chairman and people paying attention to the off field side now.

We should still be able to attract league one signings over clubs like southend and millwall. I'd argue that only bad signings and bad management/coaching would see us fail to challenge the clubs coming down. Obviously take it as it comes with Ken and his accounts.

If by some minor miracle we remember that the ball goes in the netty thing and get promoted then yeah it aint gonna be pretty!
We're still losing money. Iles has been hinting that there might be investment if we go up. Not if we stay down.

If we stay down it is going to be very hard. We may not be able to come out of embargo in this league as I believe showing a financially compelling case to the league for sustainability relies on the championship money.

So still in embargo, whole squad to replace. Still posting a financial loss. That picture points to a very difficult season or two at least. Likes of Proctor and Taylor will be 1st team regulars.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am
The harsh realities of being self-sustaining in this league will bite hard. We'll be competing on a level field with everyone else for average league one players. If we even get out of embargo. If not we'll be behind everyone else.

People like Chris Taylor are the sort of standard we'll be affording. Remember he was part of a play off side last time out. So he'd be top end.

Beevers will be off. Wheater might stay. Rest will likely all go, barring possibly, Madine and Morais. Vela may well have offers for him higher up.

Won't be pretty.
Beevers isn't out of contract this year, so what makes you so sure that he will leave in the summer ?
Championship clubs bid for him in January. He won't IMO hang around this league another year if he can avoid it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm
Sure, the only point I was making is it's an example of the fan base we have that means even when self sufficient (as almost all teams in this league have to be) our budget is still going to be towards the top end. There are only three or four teams capable of getting 4k to away games no matter what.
Yeah, fair enough. My worry is the black hole in the accounts, even if we shred the wage bill by releasing the big-wedge boys. It's fag-packet maths and obviously wouldn't be confirmed by those at the club but if we're losing £300k a month EXCLUDING any notable wages, that's a big hole to fill – an annual £3.6m, which is about as much as Toddy paid to sign Dean Holdsworth...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 pm
If we stay down it is going to be very hard. We may not be able to come out of embargo in this league as I believe showing a financially compelling case to the league for sustainability relies on the championship money.
A very good point. We can't know, but it would be much harder to prove viability.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am

Nick Ross from Dundee would be a good bosman deal good midfielder lots of experience for his age plenty of teams in that league will be looking at him big Ash Taylor at Aberdeen to at center back not impossible they lost Paulett to MK Dons who was in out there team

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Tear this thread up well done guys contradictions now go year those noncey southern teams up in that league

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Stupid thread :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 pm
We'll be needing a better manager than the current fella who's only fit to manage the Spread Eagle won't we, Hoboh. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:51 pm
Hoboh wrote:
We'll be needing a better manager than the current fella who's only fit to manage the Spread Eagle won't we, Hoboh. :lol:
:lol:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Bugger. Can we have the like button back please DJB? :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
:fingers:
Okay got me there :D
Thing is the proof of the pudding will come over the summer with who he brings in/allows to leave (finance permitting) and what shape we are in for next season, I do worry he doesn't seem to be sharp enough on changing things.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Thing is the proof of the pudding will come over the summer
Oh, right. The goalposts have moved then. :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:45 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Not really, a league higher with some of the faults we have shown this season and we will get hammered, let's see if he takes this on board, fair play to him at the moment I'd clean his bloody shoes :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 am

Hoboh wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Not really, a league higher with some of the faults we have shown this season and we will get hammered, let's see if he takes this on board, fair play to him at the moment I'd clean his bloody shoes :D
League higher without ability to seriously invest in the squad will be very hard for anyone. But that isn't in Parky's control is it? Getting us up from where we were is a monumental achievement. He's a very good manager, just accept it.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 01, 2017 3:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 am
Hoboh wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

League higher without ability to seriously invest in the squad will be very hard for anyone. But that isn't in Parky's control is it? Getting us up from where we were is a monumental achievement. He's a very good manager, just accept it.
He's done a good job,
One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:59 am

Ayewhynot wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm
Long time lurker here, fan for 40 years. Just got back from the most atrocious game of football I've ever seen. Promotion has long gone. Forget about it. League one next year will be a massive relegation scrap without major investment. I'd put my house on us being relegated to league two this time next year and you can quote me on that!
:oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:44 pm

^

Hat off to you for having the decency to hold your hand up. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:07 am

Club saying we've sold 10,000 STs to date. Do we know how many we sold last season? Hopefully there'll be some decent spike attendances as well for games such as Sunderland, Villa, Leeds and one or two others.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:07 am
Club saying we've sold 10,000 STs to date. Do we know how many we sold last season? Hopefully there'll be some decent spike attendances as well for games such as Sunderland, Villa, Leeds and one or two others.
14 June last year we'd sold 8,500 ST's. So we're a bit ahead of that - you'll need to wait for an Exit Poll for the final figure... :-)