"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves" Bolton vs Posh 30th April

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: "It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves" Bolton vs Posh 30th April

Post by HMX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Travelling up at the weekend for this one. Gonna be a nervous wreck 'til 2pm Sunday.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves" Bolton vs Posh 30th April

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 pm

The girls' team I help manage have their county cup final at 10am on Sunday. Which will be helpful in parsing the day into Things I Can Affect and Things I Cannot, but it does mean that I won't see all the game, unless I watch it in the Merstham FC social club.

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm

HMX wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm
Travelling up at the weekend for this one. Gonna be a nervous wreck 'til 2pm Sunday.
Take good luck up with you hey. I'd love to be going up for it but can't really justify the last-minute train costs. Now it's confirmed as being shown on Sky I think MegsEleven/OwensEleven and I are gonna line up a pub in London town suitably footie-focused for viewing such a momentous match (and hopefully a few post-match celebratory pints too).

Are any others London-based up for a central meet-up to watch it? Venue TBC, probably a sports bar or similar.
Everything but the game: Because it's not just a game, it's a way of life.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am
Dujon wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm
Fleetwood's fate is in our hands. I'm happy not to be one of the coastal dwellers on this occasion, kippers or no kippers. Would you lads and lassies really like to be relying on the team above to lose ... or else ... the dreadful play-off roundabout? I'll be happy with a clean sheet and no goals (once it's over). :)
Clearly they'd swap positions, but pressure-wise it's all on us. They'd go into the playoffs on a massive high, whereas for us just being in them would represent a massive failure.
See, this may be me surmising but I can't help but feel that if the positions were reversed – that if we were the chasing team who cut a 10-point lead to miss out by just 2pts (or 1pt, or even goal difference) – you'd be bonging on about how it was a "crushing blow", et cetera and so on... :wink:
Surmising incorrectly my friend. :wink:

I think they'll be mentally prepared and confident for the playoffs. The fact that they've come from so far back in the last 6 games means automatic promotion would be much more a hope than an expectation. That, plus general small club underdog status makes their situation very different from that of a bigger club that blew a 10 point lead.
Anyway we won't. We'll do this.
Glad it's on telly too, can find a pub in Swansea.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 pm
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am
Dujon wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm
Fleetwood's fate is in our hands. I'm happy not to be one of the coastal dwellers on this occasion, kippers or no kippers. Would you lads and lassies really like to be relying on the team above to lose ... or else ... the dreadful play-off roundabout? I'll be happy with a clean sheet and no goals (once it's over). :)
Clearly they'd swap positions, but pressure-wise it's all on us. They'd go into the playoffs on a massive high, whereas for us just being in them would represent a massive failure.
See, this may be me surmising but I can't help but feel that if the positions were reversed – that if we were the chasing team who cut a 10-point lead to miss out by just 2pts (or 1pt, or even goal difference) – you'd be bonging on about how it was a "crushing blow", et cetera and so on... :wink:
Surmising incorrectly my friend. :wink:

I think they'll be mentally prepared and confident for the playoffs. The fact that they've come from so far back in the last 6 games means automatic promotion would be much more a hope than an expectation. That, plus general small club underdog status makes their situation very different from that of a bigger club that blew a 10 point lead.
My apologies. Fair enough.

(I may also have been reading two threads at once, got confused, seen the quote and thought you were BWFCi)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:56 pm
How did you go on? Don't leave us hanging! :D
Close but no cigar. We led for large chunks of the game and played the game of our lives, but a team of midgets is always going to be up against it when playing a bunch of giants. Incredible experience I'll never forget :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:51 pm
Close but no cigar. We led for large chunks of the game and played the game of our lives, but a team of midgets is always going to be up against it when playing a bunch of giants. Incredible experience I'll never forget :D
Good, I'm glad you remember it with a smile.

I suggest the midgets challenge the giants to whatever it is that jockeys do.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I was by far our tallest and was the same height as their shortest! We got in their faces er...chests and had a large crowd cheering us on. I've never played as well since.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Hang on. I've met AT. He's fecking massive!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Dartisan wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm
HMX wrote:
Take good luck up with you hey. I'd love to be going up for it but can't really justify the last-minute train costs. Now it's confirmed as being shown on Sky I think MegsEleven/OwensEleven and I are gonna line up a pub in London town suitably footie-focused for viewing such a momentous match (and hopefully a few post-match celebratory pints too).

Are any others London-based up for a central meet-up to watch it? Venue TBC, probably a sports bar or similar.
Whatever Usual Suspects name Verbal/kint/Keyser Soze is under these days and I will be at the Famous Cock on Highbury corner. Good beer and will defo both have it and show it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi guys :) Been away faaaaaaar to long. Had a shite 6/12 months with BWFC being one of the bright spots. I'm going for a 0-0 until the last ten. We will score late doors though.. I hope :shock:

Not sure on the ticket situation but I have a spare U23 ticket going in the west lower just to the right of the dugout. If anybody wants it before I return it for a refund then I am happy to take £15 for it otherwise its going back at face value (£18).

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm
Dartisan wrote:
HMX wrote:

Whatever Usual Suspects name Verbal/kint/Keyser Soze is under these days and I will be at the Famous Cock on Highbury corner. Good beer and will defo both have it and show it.
/thumbs-up\ Easy to get there for us so may well join ya. Looks like it's a 12 opening there on a Sunday though? Might be a close call for kick off. Do they tend to show 2 games simultaneous in there? Feckin' Utd are on BT Sports at the same time it seems.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm
Hi guys :) Been away faaaaaaar to long. Had a shite 6/12 months with BWFC being one of the bright spots. I'm going for a 0-0 until the last ten. We will score late doors though.. I hope :shock:

Not sure on the ticket situation but I have a spare U23 ticket going in the west lower just to the right of the dugout. If anybody wants it before I return it for a refund then I am happy to take £15 for it otherwise its going back at face value (£18).
Good to see you back!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm
My apologies. Fair enough.

(I may also have been reading two threads at once, got confused, seen the quote and thought you were BWFCi)
Oh no need. I can be a miserable reactionary bastard but first once i actually gave that one some thought!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 pm

WTW wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm
I'm trying to push away the memory of a last match of the season game against feckin Blackpool...
Still as strong as feck in mine that one! Despite being leathered by the time it kicked off at 12.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 pm
The girls' team I help manage have their county cup final at 10am on Sunday. Which will be helpful in parsing the day into Things I Can Affect and Things I Cannot, but it does mean that I won't see all the game, unless I watch it in the Merstham FC social club.

You be pleased to hear that "The Venue" (free hire on Fridays) has Sky! :D

http://www.merstham.co.uk/thevenue/faci ... lities.htm
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Marc Iles has been talking to Bruce (Rioch not Rioja). Interview should be online tomorrow.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Dartisan wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Dartisan wrote:
HMX wrote:

/thumbs-up\ Easy to get there for us so may well join ya. Looks like it's a 12 opening there on a Sunday though? Might be a close call for kick off. Do they tend to show 2 games simultaneous in there? Feckin' Utd are on BT Sports at the same time it seems.
We had our end-of-season do there last year so think I've got the manager's e-mail address somewhere. Will dig that out and check. They've always been good before, put us on one screen if there's something else on. Doubt we'll get commentary, but doubt we will anywhere if that fecking lot are on. Will report back but assume we'll be on.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Hang on. I've met AT. He's fecking massive!
Which tells you how big the bastards we had to play against were :D

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 pm
Dartisan wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Dartisan wrote:
HMX wrote:

We had our end-of-season do there last year so think I've got the manager's e-mail address somewhere. Will dig that out and check. They've always been good before, put us on one screen if there's something else on. Doubt we'll get commentary, but doubt we will anywhere if that fecking lot are on. Will report back but assume we'll be on.
/another thumbs up\
Commentary would be good, but yeah unlikely in most white Utd are on I guess.