What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What will we need if we're in the Championship next season?

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 04, 2017 5:57 pm

I thought Robbie Elliot played near enough a full season under Sam? It's not even that long ago!

I'll be sitting in my commode voting Brexit soon if I carry on like this.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Maybe I'm allowing fondness to have its way with my memory, but I thought that he broke his leg on either his first or second game, was out for yonks, came back and played a few games, then Newcastle bought him back for at least as much as we'd payed them for him. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm
Maybe I'm allowing fondness to have its way with my memory, but I thought that he broke his leg on either his first or second game, was out for yonks, came back and played a few games, then Newcastle bought him back for at least as much as we'd payed them for him. :?
No.

He played a lot under Allardyce. Did he get sent off in THAT game against Ipswich? He definitely played it.

Then played the next season when we went up. But in midfield.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 am

However disaster struck in the first ever match at the Reebok Stadium against Everton, just 30 minutes into the game Elliott landed awkwardly following a challenge by Toffees full back Tony Thomas and was stretchered off with a double fracture to his leg. Understandably Elliott was to miss the rest of that season and part of the next season, in a cruel twist of fate. Bolton had been relegated from the Premiership in his absence following an end of season drama at Chelsea.
In October 1998, Elliott's luck was to change for the better, he was named in midfield for Bolton's League Cup clash away to Norwich City for his first game since that fateful first night at the Reebok Stadium. He managed to get on the scoresheet at Carrow Road as Bolton advanced to the next round of the competition and later played in a handful of league matches thereafter to boost his fitness levels further.
The end of that season saw Bolton qualify for the divisions Play-Offs, and they advanced to the final after a tricky semi-final against Ipswich Town over two legs. Elliott was to play at Wembley Stadium with Bolton in the final against Watford, but the club lost the game by two goals to nil. A year later Elliott reached three semi-finals with Bolton, who were now managed by Sam Allardyce. However, on each occasion these ended in defeat, with the Play Off match against Ipswich proving difficult for Elliott as he was sent off for throwing Ipswich forward David Johnson to the ground in what was a highly charged game against the Suffolk club.
Throughout his career at Bolton he was often touted for a possible return to the Premiership with other clubs because he was one of the club's highest paid and most experienced players. However, to his credit, he wanted to help Bolton back into the Premier League, and in his final season he did just that as the club won the 2001 Play Off Final against Preston North End at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff having finished behind the other two promoted teams Fulham and Blackburn Rovers.
Just two days after that play-off success his contract expired with Bolton and he completed a dream return to Newcastle on a Bosman transfer.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 11, 2017 3:53 pm

He was a good player, Elliot. Was sat the row behind him when we got spanked 4-0 at Chelsea in the league cup under Megson a fair few years back now.

Sat in with the Bolton supporters and he and his son were joining in the chants. Top man
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Millwall promoted. Another game for me next season.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm
Millwall promoted. Another game for me next season.
Yeah, that thought occurred for me too. Less solipsistically, more potentially disenfranchised former charges Parky could airlift from Bradford; also, less localish competition for the sort of players Parky tends to like (northern, basically).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Certainly hopeful we can sign better than Bradford and Fleetwood players from what Ive seen (v us and play offs).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2017 7:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm
Certainly hopeful we can sign better than Bradford and Fleetwood players from what Ive seen (v us and play offs).
Understandable. But Parky loaning Josh Cullen from West Am would neither surprise nor horrify me.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 pm

We could do a hell of a lot worse than James Meredith, Bradford City's left back. He would seem to tick a lot of boxes, what with him being out of contract, over six feet tall and, for whatever these things are worth, named in the League One team of the year. Crucially, though, he has a favourable experience of working under Parky in the past. In a recent Yorkshire Post interview he had the following to say about him:

“For me personally, he turned me from a non-league to a league player.

At that point – although I always worked hard and had a good attitude – my diet was not very good and I was not as professional as I am now.

I was a bit of a party boy when I was young and he turned me into the player I am now. When you were doing something wrong, he would tell you and let you know and punish you for it.

You had to do things right; he did not really care how much ability you had or how pretty a footballer you were.

If you did not do the things in the way he wanted, then you were not going to get very far.”

One box that it can’t be said that he ticks, mind, is the northern one. He’s from New South Wales. :wink:
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 pm
We could do a hell of a lot worse than James Meredith, Bradford City's left back. He would seem to tick a lot of boxes, what with him being out of contract, over six feet tall and, for whatever these things are worth, named in the League One team of the year. Crucially, though, he has a favourable experience of working under Parky in the past. In a recent Yorkshire Post interview he had the following to say about him:

At that point – although I always worked hard and had a good attitude – my diet was not very good and I was not as professional as I am now.

I was a bit of a party boy when I was young and he turned me into the player I am now. When you were doing something wrong, he would tell you and let you know and punish you for it.

You had to do things right; he did not really care how much ability you had or how pretty a footballer you were.

If you did not do the things in the way he wanted, then you were not going to get very far.”

One box that it can’t be said that he ticks, mind, is the northern one. He’s from New South Wales. :wink:
Like him. But like Andy T more....

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:37 pm
Nicko58 wrote:

Like him. But like Andy T more....

As do I, I think, but we have no recognised left-back under contract as it stands so there could be room for both. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have them competing with each other if our finances will allow it.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Nicko58 wrote:

NSW is north of somewhere! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm
Nicko58 wrote:

New Even Souther Wales? :conf: :D

(Good shout, Nicko)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm
Nicko58 wrote:

New Even Souther Wales? :conf: :D

(Good shout, Nicko)

I was kinda thinking of Antarctica!
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 am

I don't care where they come from as long as they keep us up!