The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm
Corbyn has made himself unvotable for. If there was anyone else experienced enough and sensible enough to work towards geting the country back on its feet ( to dream the impossible dream) I 'd be in there like a shot. Unfortunately, for me with very limited political knowlege or even interest (that's been destroyed by many years of political circus buffoonery) there is no one remotely in that category except Teresa May.. Politics is a total sham. If I vote Tory it'll be to keep Corbyn out in the hope that Teresa May can do the job. If...??
That is a head-scratching statement! If you think Theresa May is the only one who can "get the country back on its feet" (whatever that even means) then I suggest you look through both manifestos and take the 'personality' out of it and vote on policy.
And please add some specifics to those first six words... Maybe this will help clear things up?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... s-compared
Fine. The world is full of prime ministers and football managers Doc. How about you vote as you will and let me do the same? Sounds fair enough to me.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:36 pm
I come froma position of thinking he's a useless swine who I couldn't vote for regardless of his politics because I think he's utterly incompetent.

I genuinely don't see how anyone draws a different conclusion re: Tes Mes though. She's woefully incompetent too.
Well, quite.

TD may indeed vote for who he wishes, I shall too, and it'll be neither of the above. They've both been woeful. Not sure what I'd do if I was sat in a marginal seat (which I'm not - 14% Labour majority)

Based on what we've seen the last few months from May as PM, soundbiting and hiding, how anyone could manage to draw a line to some sort of vast competence gap between her and Corbyn has me completely baffled.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:11 pm

May is like the manager that's been promoted several levels above their competence level and it's just dawning on those that haven't been paying attention for the last 7 years.

Corbyn is the bloke that on hearing of his promotion to managing a team, you first laugh, then your gob opens wide, chin hits the floor and you start to scratch your head. You check the calendar to make sure it's not April 1st, before sitting down because shaking your head in disbelief has made you dizzy.

We're fcuked :(

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Conservative....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Only thing I'm really able to state is that despite whatever I may vote, it's more in hope than aught else. Truth is I just don't know where it'll all go..and neither does anyone else.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:53 pm
I get why folk have misgivings re JC - not me mind, I love the bloke- but I'm aghast that anyone is impressed by May. Initially she looked like a safe pair of hands after Cameron but under scrutiny it's clear she's an absolute charlatan
Exactly where I'm at. If anything. Corbyn has grown in my eyes over the last few weeks. It is world's tallest dwarf stuff though. You only have to see the current government front bench to see what a stark political desert we inhabit.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm voting on the basis that Theresa May is both incompetent and dangerous. She will win but I've decided I have to vote to at least do my bit to try and limit her majority. She isn't fit to run a bath let alone a country. She also wants to take away all our human rights to try and fix a problem that it will only make worse.

Also she's been Home Secretary since 2010 and PM for a year. She is the person who could have done something to prevent terrorism. And hasn't. Instead has cut police numbers and left us vulnerable despite being repeatedly warned about it.

The woman is a menace. I'd not mind seeing her blown up. My personal view.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell running the country....now that is a scary thought, they couldn't run a raffle never mind a country.

Austerity is all the fault of the previous labour government's spend billions now on everything & anything and feck the future policies and the debt will be back up to record levels with those labour muppets with the amount they plan to give away, combined with record immigration as they will let anyone & everyone into the country - how anyone could even think of voting Labour is a real shakes head in disbelief moment.

Imagine the EU negotiating with Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell....very scary indeed.

Labour bad for business, bad for the economy, bad for Brexit, bad for immigration and bad for national security

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Austerity is all the faults of bankers. I agree it's difficult to vote for the ones you mention (and I shall not be). The thought that somehow the Tory's have done much other than Fck up and u-turn as the largest party of the last 7 years government is equally incredulous.

May has been appalling, the immigration figures have gone up (despite us not needing permission from anyone to limit non-European movement) which on average is around 50% of our total. This includes pretty much every country driving the terrorist threat.

If there was a third party with anything like a sniff, then I wouldn't be drawing Charlie the Cartoon cat on my ballot tomorrow.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 pm
Austerity is all the faults of bankers. I agree it's difficult to vote for the ones you mention (and I shall not be). The thought that somehow the Tory's have done much other than Fck up and u-turn as the largest party of the last 7 years government is equally incredulous.

May has been appalling, the immigration figures have gone up (despite us not needing permission from anyone to limit non-European movement) which on average is around 50% of our total. This includes pretty much every country driving the terrorist threat.

If there was a third party with anything like a sniff, then I wouldn't be drawing Charlie the Cartoon cat on my ballot tomorrow.
Aye Corbyn will deal with the terrorist threat - what with him & McDonnell supporting the IRA, Hamas & the radical islamists he was pictured with in today's papers with....feck me !

Come on you blues....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Remind me how "the blues" have dealt with it for the last seven years? I haven't noticed it decreasing much :conf:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 pm
Remind me how "the blues" have dealt with it for the last seven years? I haven't noticed it decreasing much :conf:
Aye if Corbyn had been PM, non of the terrorists would have been killed / shot - he'd have put his arm around them, sympathised with them & probably given them a house, free meals for all of their family & friends and then given them state benefits.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:02 pm
Austerity is all the fault of the previous labour government's spend billions now on everything & anything and feck the future policies and the debt will be back up to record levels
Back up? We've had how many years of austerity and the debt has continued to increase hasn't it? Remind me who was the only major party who put their spending plans up for scrutiny?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Oh and whilst we're about it, in the strange but true category, the cessation of hostilities in Ireland, came about through dialogue (which both Tory and Labour governments played a part in).

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50 pm

HG are you really that gullible - labour all costed....yeh ok !!

All Corbyn has done is tell / promise people what they want to hear, he's no fecking idea how he will pay for the many billions he's said he'll put into everything - all being paid for out of his magic money tree.

Nothing but a scruffy commie along with Abbott & McDonnell, I wouldn't trust them to run my local pub never mind the country - the country will collapse within 2 years under a Corbyn government, only a certain type of person would be bought into Corbyn and his magic money tree promises.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:47 pm
Oh and whilst we're about it, in the strange but true category, the cessation of hostilities in Ireland, came about through dialogue (which both Tory and Labour governments played a part in).
But Corbyn himself was an IRA sympathiser, as he is now with Hamas and some of the Islamist extremists

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 pm
Aye if Corbyn had been PM, non of the terrorists would have been killed / shot - he'd have put his arm around them, sympathised with them & probably given them a house, free meals for all of their family & friends and then given them state benefits.
One of the London lot, appeared on the fcking telly in a programme called the Jihadi next door or some such, whilst our dithering PM was the fcking Home Secretary.

The Italian police say they told us about another of the three (I think whilst she was Home Sec)

The third was denied entry in 2009 but returned in 2012.

And you want to talk about what Corbyn might or might not do? Fcuk me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:47 pm
But Corbyn himself was an IRA sympathiser, as he is now with Hamas and some of the Islamist extremists
What does "sympathizer" mean?

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:18 pm
I'm voting on the basis that Theresa May is both incompetent and dangerous. She will win but I've decided I have to vote to at least do my bit to try and limit her majority. She isn't fit to run a bath let alone a country. She also wants to take away all our human rights to try and fix a problem that it will only make worse.

Also she's been Home Secretary since 2010 and PM for a year. She is the person who could have done something to prevent terrorism. And hasn't. Instead has cut police numbers and left us vulnerable despite being repeatedly warned about it.

The woman is a menace. I'd not mind seeing her blown up. My personal view.
Agree. Her CV is looking ragged at the moment.
Whichever category you choose (security, health, social care, police, economy, immigration) she has performed woefully during this campaign. She will win this election but hopefully with a much reduced majority.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:02 pm
Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell running the country....now that is a scary thought, they couldn't run a raffle never mind a country.

Austerity is all the fault of the previous labour government's spend billions now on everything & anything and feck the future policies and the debt will be back up to record levels with those labour muppets with the amount they plan to give away, combined with record immigration as they will let anyone & everyone into the country - how anyone could even think of voting Labour is a real shakes head in disbelief moment.

Imagine the EU negotiating with Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell....very scary indeed.

Labour bad for business, bad for the economy, bad for Brexit, bad for immigration and bad for national security
You know that Tory governments have on average spent more than Labour ones don't you? Even if you adjust for post war periods and unusual world events.

The banking crisis was caused by a lack of bank regulation. The Tories wanted at the time, even further de-regulation.

I know these facts are uncomfortable when presented with the barrage of Murdoch media half truths and sloganistic headlines. But worth applying some critical thinking.

The Tories have continued to increase the debt whilst cutting crucial public services. Then to add to that they have pursued a policy of divide and conquer trying to blame everyone else for the banking crisis other than bankers themselves. Their lack of investment has left the country at braking point with an underperforming economy (thanks Brexit) and a poorly resourced police and counter terrorist service contributing to recent terror events.

Meanwhile Theresa is running through a wheat field somewhere.