The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 am

We've got our country back though, so yay!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40339044

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Did anyone see this dust-up between Piers Morgan and Tommy Robinson this morning, by the way?

I can't stand either of them so wouldn't have watched it anyway but I believe that it all but kicked off between them.

Talking of racist cretins, I'm in Brum this week and apparently there's an EDL marched planned. I was there a couple of months ago and they had one then too. People will be drawing their own conclusions in a bit. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm
Did anyone see this dust-up between Piers Morgan and Tommy Robinson this morning, by the way?

I can't stand either of them so wouldn't have watched it anyway but I believe that it all but kicked off between them.

Talking of racist cretins, I'm in Brum this week and apparently there's an EDL marched planned. I was there a couple of months ago and they had one then too. People will be drawing their own conclusions in a bit. :?
No. But like you, I'd happily never see either again.

Any channel or news site that gives the time of day to that odious, cretinous, disgusting sub-human creature Robinson will get no respect from me.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Go on then, what ddi he say this time?

Let me guess, muslims are still to blame, only this time it's for inciting someone to commit this latest crime?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm
Go on then, what ddi he say this time?

Let me guess, muslims are still to blame, only this time it's for inciting someone to commit this latest crime?
Don't know, Chef. I didn't see it, but apparently they've carried it on onto Twitter as well. Might have a watch later.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Here's one. Vince Cable's running for the Lib Dem leadership. I've always quite liked Vince Cable.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 pm
Here's one. Vince Cable's running for the Lib Dem leadership. I've always quite liked Vince Cable.
Really? I've always thought he was a bit of a bore. He'll be more of the same old I reckon. Jo Swinson would have been a better option I reckon.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Quite like Vince too. I always liked Nick Clegg, though, too, and agree with David Cameron's assessment that he unfairly faced the flak for Coalition policy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:24 pm
Quite like Vince too. I always liked Nick Clegg, though, too, and agree with David Cameron's assessment that he unfairly faced the flak for Coalition policy.
What was Clegg meant to do? If he'd been difficult and dug his heels in over a coalition agreement he'd have been painted as the villain preventing the country moving forward. He couldn't win.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Cameron got off very lightly, and he knew it. What I absolutely cannot fathom is how people are as thick as pigshit to blame the Liberals for the majority of the coalition's decisions, when they were the minority partner. It's f*cking mental. Having said that, politics over the last few years in this country seems to have gone completely gaga. People seem to really struggle to see the wood for the trees.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm
Cameron got off very lightly, and he knew it. What I absolutely cannot fathom is how people are as thick as pigshit to blame the Liberals for the majority of the coalition's decisions, when they were the minority partner. It's f*cking mental. Having said that, politics over the last few years in this country seems to have gone completely gaga. People seem to really struggle to see the wood for the trees.
Ah well you see, it was down to those pesky students and their loans, something commie compo will find out when he has to admit they can't all have free education and jobs with all the other things he's promised.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm not convinced a load of students voted tory as a protest against austerity and to spite the Liberals. I'm more easily convinced that lots of idiots might have done.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:37 pm
Lord Kangana wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:24 pm
What was Clegg meant to do? If he'd been difficult and dug his heels in over a coalition agreement he'd have been painted as the villain preventing the country moving forward. He couldn't win.
I'm sure that the Tories were delighted to see the Liberals being held to account, while they kept quiet and tutted years later at how unfair it was. Clegg and Co only had themselves to blame though. The student loans thing was their flagship policy, a line in the sand.

Look at the current lot already running around hinting at sweeteners to keep the DUP on side. The Liberals would have won a great deal more respect if they'd dug their heels in on at least one Tory proposal rather than wave all their austerity measures through
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:04 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm
Blame?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 am

Governments pretty much always get a portion of blame vote, as its very easy to see how they'd run the country - they being the ones running it. In 2015, many people (most significantly in the SW) turned their votes from Liberal to Tory. Lets be clear, it was because,in the main, of their supposed record in government. Which is unfathomable, if you think that statement over for a minute.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 am
Governments pretty much always get a portion of blame vote, as its very easy to see how they'd run the country - they being the ones running it. In 2015, many people (most significantly in the SW) turned their votes from Liberal to Tory. Lets be clear, it was because,in the main, of their supposed record in government. Which is unfathomable, if you think that statement over for a minute.
And not because Brown was making a horse's arse of it. OK!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
I'm shocked you are surprised when as HG said, they sold out the main difference, in policy terms, so blatantly and with such ease to be in power. We know they nearly all fail to live up to their promises but in the case of the student fees there were little extenuating circumstances to fall back on and use as an excuse.
Clegg fell then they elected a joke leader, one who looked even less capable of being a PM than Compo does and you wonder why they failed to basically regain those votes and seats.
The Lib Dems will be tarnished for at least the next two elections to come as well, that will be Clegg's legacy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am
Lord Kangana wrote:
In 2015?

In 2010 when Labour left office Brown had the economy growing at the fastest rate of all G7 economies affected by the credit crunch. The Tories then managed to slow growth down to a crawl whilst persisting with a policy of austerity that virtually every other major country had abandoned. They held up our economic growth to pursue an ideological policy. In some respects they still are.

The fact that the British public were duped into thinking that was a) necessary b) a solution to anything is one of the greatest scandals of the last 100 years of politics.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
In 2015?

In 2010 when Labour left office Brown had the economy growing at the fastest rate of all G7 economies affected by the credit crunch. The Tories then managed to slow growth down to a crawl whilst persisting with a policy of austerity that virtually every other major country had abandoned. They held up our economic growth to pursue an ideological policy. In some respects they still are.

The fact that the British public were duped into thinking that was a) necessary b) a solution to anything is one of the greatest scandals of the last 100 years of politics.
No it is not.
Don't forget that great European economy, Germany, is driving austerity throughout parts of the EU, something the Greeks know more about than most.
And you talk about the great 'God Brown, the man who saddled the NHS and parts of the education system with huge debts for the next few decades at least for a short term fix.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:23 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
In 2015?

No it is not.
Don't forget that great European economy, Germany, is driving austerity throughout parts of the EU, something the Greeks know more about than most.
And you talk about the great 'God Brown, the man who saddled the NHS and parts of the education system with huge debts for the next few decades at least for a short term fix.
No I didn't. I merely stated a fact. Another fact is that Brown did not introduce PFI contracts into hospitals, Major did. Brown accelerated it. Was it a terrible idea? Yes. They should have listened to economic experts who stated it was a bad deal at the time.

Just like most governments should take heed of experts rather than come up with their own wacky policies that do not have a suitable evidence base to support them.