Pre-season fixtures 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pre-season fixtures 2017

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:02 pm

3-4-3 is a possibility, and one that makes a lot of sense given our personnel includes a lot of wide creatives. Ameobi and (from what we know of him) Armstrong may be well suited to it, but the key tends to be intelligent movement off the front "1". Madine gets pelters, and sometimes he deserves it, but if his team-mates are miles away there's not a lot he can do.

My gut feeling is that Parky may be too innately conservative for a free-flowing 3-4-3. Didn't someone say Darby was dropped for Tony McMahon last season because he McCall wanted attacking full-backs and Mr Steph Houghton wasn't as good going forward? Mark Little seems the more natural fit on that side.

I'll mention again that some who played at a decent professional level said it's easier to make a decent wingback out of a winger or wide midfielder told to sit a bit deeper (eg Morais) than it is to get a naturally defensive full-back flying forward. We ain't got no Kyle Walker but we might have more of a Victor Moses.

BWFCi's suggested line-up - back three, Chris Taylor-midfielder-midfielder-Morais and Armstrong-Madine-Ameobi - is interesting if a little attacking for Parky's tastes. Whatever the personnel, it depends on the mindset and flexibility bestowed from the management. Parky has learned on the job before - back three, etc - and I wouldn't throw away an entire system just for one bad game. First time we played a back three, we somewhat limped to a 1-1 draw with an AFC Wombles side who had 60% possession at our place. It's quite fun to look at some of the TW reactions to that:

“This is shocking. Unless something changes, honesty can't see us staying top 6. Garbage”

“Phil Parkinson to back room staff "guys I had one of my best ever dreams last night'
Back room staff to Parkinson "Go on gaffer tell us"
Parkinson "I actually managed my dream of having 10 defenders in my starting XI"...."I don't care what happens in my career I can't better this"....

“Frankly we will be clinging on for a play off place at best. And unless the new lads suddenly click, can't see us troubling any of the play off sides right now. We are too disjointed.”

“feel that PP is being a bit too defensive minded, at home, to a midtable? team”

“Le Fondre who offers us absolutely nothing. A waste of a shirt at present.”

“Only one team playing long ball today and they were wearing white. Looked so much better when we played it on the floor out wide. Guess though, if you play hoof it all week in training it is hard to sustain a passing game on match day”

“it sounds to me like there is a feeling in the squad that they aren't good enough. Perhaps the loss of Ameobi and Clough, was psychologically more damaging than anything else”

“For me thats automatic promotion gone.”

So you never know, it might be reet :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:28 pm

The more the summer goes on the more I reckon it's going to be a hard-working flat 442.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:08 pm
Lat one I saw was 4-3. I was in the Stockport end with a mate, and we were 3-0 a half time. I think they had been on a run of something like 17 games without a win, and all the talk at half time was about how pleased they would be if they only lost 4-3!!!!
Dave, was that the game in which Wayne Entwistle came on really late and scored 2?
May the bridges I burn light your way

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Nah - well later than that. From memory I'm thinking something like 2001-ish i think?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Anyway, for the record:

Wanderers (3-4-3): Howard; Dervite (Derik 83), Wheater, Beevers; Darby, Karacan, Vela, Taylor; Ameobi (Le Fondre 62), Madine (Pratley 78), Buckley (Armstrong 62). Not used: Alnwick, Little, C Taylor, Bruce, King.

Parky, per BN:
We’ve had a decent pre-season up to this point but I think here we were lacklustre and they played it like it was a full-on league game. We lacked the sharpness in our legs which we have had, which was disappointing, and we didn’t play anywhere near the levels we have in pre-season so far.

Sometimes it’s a reality check in how much work we’ve got to do. You have no divine right to win games of any sort, and on our part we were half a yard slow in every part of the pitch. A lot of the lads did 90 minutes, which we felt we needed, but equally we have to hold our hands up and say we were second best.

We set a way of playing which we’d only worked on briefly in training. We wanted to look at that shape with a front three – Will Buckley, Gary Madine and Sammy Ameobi. But we didn’t get enough quality into those players so they can show what they can do.

We weren’t sharp enough in possession. And I think when there’s an intensity about your closing down it also spreads to the rest of your game. It was too slow. Sometimes that happens and it just gives us the chance to assess a few things and move on to the next game. I think last week we went to Mansfield Town and looked a bit sloppy but we bounced back quickly and started the season well. We have got a week to rectify it.
Parky, per BWFC.co.uk:
Sometimes in pre-season, you get a bit of a reality check. Things have gone well for us so far in pre-season, but today we were off the pace. We found ourselves playing in a pre-season sunny afternoon kind of mode and they were sharper than us all over the pitch. We’ve got to accept that though. Up to this point, we’ve looked really good in pre-season ourselves, but today we’ve got some lessons that can be learned heading into the season itself.

We played a new system today which we didn’t get too much of a chance to work on yesterday in training, so in the lads’ defence it was thrown on them a little bit. That said though, we all have to be honest and admit that we were second best in too many departments today.

It doesn’t matter what level you’re playing at or what team you’re playing – you have to be first to every ball. In the first half, we played too deeply and we weren’t able to hurt Fleetwood. From last season, we know the kind of team that Fleetwood are – once they get a goal ahead, they’re very good at retreating into their own half and making life difficult for you. We were too slow on the ball today though and we have more quality than we showed.

It was important that we stretched the lads to 90 minutes – that is definitely the positive part of the day for us. It is good sometimes to taste defeat in pre-season as it gives you a jolt that you may need and I don’t think this will do us any harm. Last pre-season, we went to Mansfield where we were sloppy and it was a bit of a wake-up call for us which is needed sometimes.

The fans were superb again today. They’ll have seen pre-season go well to this point and that’s why they turned out in their numbers. We didn’t live up to what we produced in Scotland though, so it’s back onto the training ground on Monday.

The games we have coming up will all be good challenges for us. All the games that you have in pre-season though are good tests for you. When you come up against teams who are deemed to be of a lesser standard to yourselves, they will always want to raise their game. Fleetwood, being a league below, did that today and we will do the same when Stoke come to us next weekend.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm
Welcome back, Bijou, and what a blistering and immediate return to form with your opening gambit. Not a waste of an afternoon, not a cause for anxiety, but a waste of a tenner! YTC :lol:
I'll have you know that as a semi-retired pensioner, I have to watch the pennies these days! I couldn't even scrape enough together for a pie. Mind you, they're now doing Hollands :vomit: so probably just as well.
Great to see you back, but my happiness is somewhat tempered by the sad news of your reduced circumstances. Ignore Bruce, the horrible man.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Lat one I saw was 4-3. I was in the Stockport end with a mate, and we were 3-0 a half time. I think they had been on a run of something like 17 games without a win, and all the talk at half time was about how pleased they would be if they only lost 4-3!!!!
Dave, was that the game in which Wayne Entwistle came on really late and scored 2?
My only visit was when we got done after the iconic Anfield away win in 1993. Still went up though. Big Kevin and Preece up front for them. A Parky wet dream that!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:19 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm
dave the minion wrote:
My only visit was when we got done after the iconic Anfield away win in 1993. Still went up though. Big Kevin and Preece up front for them. A Parky wet dream that!
Just noticed Jim Gannon is their manager, was fullback in the game I went to. David Lee got nothing out of him after his heroics at Anfield.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:53 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 pm
Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm
Welcome back, Bijou, and what a blistering and immediate return to form with your opening gambit. Not a waste of an afternoon, not a cause for anxiety, but a waste of a tenner! YTC :lol:
I'll have you know that as a semi-retired pensioner, I have to watch the pennies these days! I couldn't even scrape enough together for a pie. Mind you, they're now doing Hollands :vomit: so probably just as well.
Great to see you back, but my happiness is somewhat tempered by the sad news of your reduced circumstances. Ignore Bruce, the horrible man.
A 4ucking sap you are! Don't believe Bob's sob story. He's on a Copper's pay-off and more ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Alex Perry getting the good words from the commentator at Edgely. Sounds like we're playing well...so far..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Apart from the score it all sounded pretty positive on the commentary. Seems like we couldn't put the ball away despite a host of chances. Bad finishing and good goalkeeping by them is what it sounded like. Then again...?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 am

3-5-2: Ben Alnwick; Alex Bruce (T), Alex Perry, Robert Atkinson (T); Mark Little, Derik (Jack Earing 75), Darren Pratley, Jeff King, Chris Taylor; Adam Armstrong (Connor Hall 60), Sammy Ameobi (Ryan White 75).

Unused subs: Jake Turner, Cole Lonsdale, plus four more trialists:
• Liam Edwards (2/10/96, ex Stoke U23 defender)
• Michael Atkinson (13/07/98, midfielder, twin of starter Robert; both have been on Basingstoke Town’s books)
• Anthony Wright (10/10/97, ex-Forest and Fulham winger; US-born with British dad)
• Zach Hadji (winger, son of ex-Cov/Villa winger Mustapha)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:15 pm

So, this Stoke game takes on a level of significance now after our trialists couldn't beat a pub side last night. What do we think Parky will do? Field his possible starting line up for the Leeds game? As unless I'm mistaken this is our last dressed rehearsal isn't it?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:15 pm
So, this Stoke game takes on a level of significance now after our trialists couldn't beat a pub side last night. What do we think Parky will do? Field his possible starting line up for the Leeds game? As unless I'm mistaken this is our last dressed rehearsal isn't it?
Yeah, I'd be surprised if he doesn't pick his strongest possible XI, although he might pick some players to "get some minutes into their legs". Remember though, due to our newfound tactical flexibility, the plan to beat Stoke might not be the same as the plan to beat Leeds...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Iles: "Nine trialists involved tonight at FC United. Couple of new ones."

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:19 pm

#BWFC XI to face @FCUnitedMcr: Turner, Lonsdale, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Hall, Trialist, Trialist.

HALF-TIME: @FCUnitedMcr 0-1 #BWFC. Bolton XI lead thanks to a goal from Trialist after good work from Trialist. 🐘 🏰

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 pm

:lol:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 am

Is anybody going today for our last pre-season game against Stoke? I was thinking about it but I want to remain upbeat for the season so I have decided I won't see us get thrashed again against of all teams STOKE (bad memories)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 am
Is anybody going today for our last pre-season game against Stoke? I was thinking about it but I want to remain upbeat for the season so I have decided I won't see us get thrashed again against of all teams STOKE (bad memories)
No. Because I'm still 4ucking hammered from last night. Fin.