Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 31, 2016 2:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:A quick note on Owen Coyle. I don’t think it’s entirely fair to characterise him as completely useless, considering we entered May 2011 in the country’s top 8 and had reached the FA Cup semi that season. But the caveats hold the kicker: we flopped badly in the league (losing the last five games) and cup (shipping five goals in one unforgettable gormless afternoon). And there’s the rub with Owen: fine when all is going well, and he can frequently create the optimism and attacking freedom that helps things get going, but almost completely unprepared for life’s vicissitudes.

Notable perhaps that Coyle's results peaked after around 15 months, Freedman after around six months, Lennon after around six weeks.
Agree! don't think Coyle was as bad as them two shithouses
Oh he was much much worse. He spent money on the biggest wastes of football oxygen I've seen. And let a team capable of staying up, fester until it was too late.

He was more interested in maintaining his image within the game than winning games of football.

He wastes our last lot of premiership riches on a cast of players not even good enough to be championship regulars.
This. Coyle rode his luck like no other and got lucky in the loan market. My abiding memory will always be him stood at the side of the Wembley pitch, arms folded and three goals down without a solitary clue as to how to rectify the situation.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 31, 2016 3:09 pm

To be clear, I think Coyle *was* as bad as the other two idiots. I just don't think he was all bad. Life's not that monochrome.

I also think it unprovable that he was "more interested in maintaining his image within the game than winning games of football", which seems a ridiculous idea when image is largely built upon success. I have no doubt that he was naive and tactically inept, but are you suggesting he'd rather play well than win?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:To be clear, I think Coyle *was* as bad as the other two idiots. I just don't think he was all bad. Life's not that monochrome.

I also think it unprovable that he was "more interested in maintaining his image within the game than winning games of football", which seems a ridiculous idea when image is largely built upon success. I have no doubt that he was naive and tactically inept, but are you suggesting he'd rather play well than win?
I think we could have stayed up if he'd packed the midfield from October and made us hard to beat. But he kept leaving Muamba out, leaving us exposed, all because I think he wanted to maintain the notion that he was a great footballing man.

We needed to go back to basics and he flat out refused.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue May 31, 2016 3:52 pm

A Stuart Holdenless Freedman loses out for me. Just for that reason.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 31, 2016 3:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:To be clear, I think Coyle *was* as bad as the other two idiots. I just don't think he was all bad. Life's not that monochrome.

I think we could have stayed up if he'd packed the midfield from October and made us hard to beat. But he kept leaving Muamba out, leaving us exposed, all because I think he wanted to maintain the notion that he was a great footballing man.

Of course, at the time, there was talk of him replacing Arsene Wenger at Arsenal...and I can recall a Spurs supporting mate, telling me that Spurs might jump in front of Arsenal to try and snatch him away...That was in the October time of his first full season. I told him he was smoking some bizarre shit.

Here's what Fox Sport reporter had to say about Coyle...
Coyle seemed to underrate MLS at times. He insisted upon attacking soccer and spoke as if it wouldn't be a problem to instill. But the Dynamo didn't have great attackers or the money to acquire many incredible creative players. It wasn't as simple as "go for it" and required more tactical nuance and pragmatism than the Dynamo showed. When Coyle refused to evolve, opposing managers were able to pick him apart and the Dynamo conceded goals in bunches.
You could easily substitute "Bolton" for "Dynamo" in that paragraph.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 31, 2016 4:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree with your tactical opinion, but not your assumption of his reasoning. I think he genuinely (and wrongly) believed that being on the front foot would win us more games. I really don't think he got relegated to look good.

tonymikejoe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tonymikejoe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:24 am

Freedman now In!

He's ended up back where he came from after rather bizarrely being appointed Sporting Director at CPFC.

Heaven knows what he did at Bolton and then a forgettable spell at Nottingham Forest to show he is suited to this role.......whatever it is.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 am

I think he's better suited to a background role in which his lack of personal qualities and charisma aren't such a handicap.
He's a hardworking thoughtful student of the game from what I've read.
The tit.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Perhaps a job with less pressure would be good for him too. Some of the press conferences he was in when he was with us were a bit bizarre. And he looked like he had just woken up on a park bench after drinking 4 cans of special brew.

I wish him well and think it is probably a more suitable role for him than front-line management.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:37 pm

PC1978 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:35 pm
Perhaps a job with less pressure would be good for him too. Some of the press conferences he was in when he was with us were a bit bizarre. And he looked like he had just woken up on a park bench after drinking 4 cans of special brew.

I wish him well and think it is probably a more suitable role for him than front-line management.
Allegedly, not too far off the rumours at the time..........?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

tonymikejoe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tonymikejoe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm

This should give you all a laugh at how desperate things are at CPFC, where Freedman has recently been appointed Sporting Director.

One fan (thai eagle) is calling for a management duo of coach Sammy Lee and Dougie.

Their thoughts are below:

Think combination of Lee/Dougie and back playing the Palace way would at least give us a chance to avoid the dreaded R!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:46 pm

tonymikejoe wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm
This should give you all a laugh at how desperate things are at CPFC, where Freedman has recently been appointed Sporting Director.

One fan (thai eagle) is calling for a management duo of coach Sammy Lee and Dougie.

Think combination of Lee/Dougie and back playing the Palace way would at least give us a chance to avoid the dreaded R!
Christalfuckingmighty :shock:

Yeah, good luck with that. Are Palace fans the new Hammers?

I only found out recently btw that Megson's back at WBA at Pullis's assistant. I refer the board to my earlier question - how the 4uck do these people keep getting these jobs?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:46 pm
tonymikejoe wrote:

I only found out recently btw that Megson's back at WBA at Pullis's assistant. I refer the board to my earlier question - how the 4uck do these people keep getting these jobs?
Good question. Especially as Hull demonstrated that there is talent out there, available and untainted.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
tonymikejoe wrote:

Good lord, the dream team.

Had a conversation a few weeks ago when I argued there's no team I'd rather support less than West Brom, and that was before I knew Meggo was there. Couldn't pay me to go.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:40 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
tonymikejoe wrote:

Good lord, the dream team.

Had a conversation a few weeks ago when I argued there's no team I'd rather support less than West Brom, and that was before I knew Meggo was there. Couldn't pay me to go.
There's an interesting conversation. How do you even begin to argue about which team you'd support less???
:roll:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:30 pm

They serve fruit cider...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:07 pm

100% Pears?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
tonymikejoe wrote:

Results wise, did Megson do that much wrong? I think not. Reality is he knew it was a battle for us to stay up each year and was prepared for it. See our decline since. Not saying that he was blameless, but at least he wasn't a dreamer.

I'd have Megson over Coyle or Lennon any day of any week.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
tonymikejoe wrote:

Results wise, did Megson do that much wrong? I think not. Reality is he knew it was a battle for us to stay up each year and was prepared for it. See our decline since. Not saying that he was blameless, but at least he wasn't a dreamer.

Utterly unwatchable shite.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
tonymikejoe wrote:

Utterly unwatchable shite.
In retrospect I honestly think you'd have a different view. Impossible to say now, but we've got a pragmatic manager now probably not doing a lot different. I think expectations at the time were out of sync with where we were.