We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 am

Didn't see a match thread, so here it is. Will we get hammered?

I'd like to see one of the youngsters in midfield to see if we have an alternative to Pratley. I'm predicting a spirited 2-1 loss.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 am
I'd like to see one of the youngsters in midfield to see if we have an alternative to Pratley. I'm predicting a spirited 2-1 loss.
Wash your mouth out with soap sir! Tis a pity that worry about league positions might take the edge off beating the bubble-blowers, but beat them we must for history's sake..2-0 to us.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:37 am

Burke and Cullen are ineligible for this, and from reports in the B.N. it's looking like it might be Bolton youth club v the Hammers.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wash your mouth out with soap sir! Tis a pity that worry about league positions might take the edge off beating the bubble-blowers, but beat them we must for history's sake..2-0 to us.... :oyea:
It's hard to care about a cup that I have never heard of before! Is this the Milk Cup, FA Cup or Sherpa Van Freight Rover Leyland DAF Autoglass Trophy?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 am

2-1 win. Easy
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:14 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
It's hard to care about a cup that I have never heard of before! Is this the Milk Cup, FA Cup or Sherpa Van Freight Rover Leyland DAF Autoglass Trophy?
I'ts a sort of Lada/Knight Security. Corona Pop and Stan Hanson's pie shop rememberance sort of thing gone nationwide... :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:14 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I'ts a sort of Lada/Knight Security. Corona Pop and Stan Hanson's pie shop rememberance sort of thing gone nationwide... :wink:
If there's no chips n gravy count me out :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm

The smoke signals before this kind of game tend to imply more changes than we usually make. Despite the trumpeted availability of the boys' brigade – always a more interesting story than "same old blokes are also available" – PP has taken a lot of the first-team squad down with him. There'll be a lot of experience in the team: a spine of senior players who haven't been used much recently, like ALF, Wilbraham, Pratley, Dervite and Howard – although I'd genuinely be tempted to try Jake Turner. We might even see Chris Taylor...
I think we do need to freshen the teams up. Some of the lads are carrying minor niggles, which will have to be assessed down there at the hotel, so I haven’t named my team yet. But it’s fair to say we have got two big games coming up against Brentford and Bristol City and there are players who deserve a chance to play. We took a few of the younger lads down with us on Saturday and I think it’s good even if they don’t get on the pitch to be in and around the first team environment, mixing with the first team players.
Cullen and Burke cuptied, remember, and I would hope we don't risk anyone half-fit who we might want in the next two games.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm
The smoke signals before this kind of game tend to imply more changes than we usually make. Despite the trumpeted availability of the boys' brigade – always a more interesting story than "same old blokes are also available" – PP has taken a lot of the first-team squad down with him. There'll be a lot of experience in the team: a spine of senior players who haven't been used much recently, like ALF, Wilbraham, Pratley, Dervite and Howard – although I'd genuinely be tempted to try Jake Turner. We might even see Chris Taylor...
I think we do need to freshen the teams up. Some of the lads are carrying minor niggles, which will have to be assessed down there at the hotel, so I haven’t named my team yet. But it’s fair to say we have got two big games coming up against Brentford and Bristol City and there are players who deserve a chance to play. We took a few of the younger lads down with us on Saturday and I think it’s good even if they don’t get on the pitch to be in and around the first team environment, mixing with the first team players.
Cullen and Burke cuptied, remember, and I would hope we don't risk anyone half-fit who we might want in the next two games.
I'd hope it's not wholesale changes as I think we'd get a better measure of a youngster or fringe player if they're in a relatively settled side. We need to see how they fit into the side, not a random 11 that'll never likely be played ever again.

Where you wrote half-fit I read half-wit. Prize for anyone who can guess who popped into my head as the half-wit :D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

changes cant be wholesale given we have phuckall squad to choose from, i read that the young uns would be travelling to gain experience of being in and around the first team, rather than to chuck em all in the deep end?

its good opportunity to play with the formation / line-up and give some of the subs the chance to claim their place in the league...

thats what im hoping for anyway. first game of the season for me. new ground. looking forward to it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm
changes cant be wholesale given we have phuckall squad to choose from, i read that the young uns would be travelling to gain experience of being in and around the first team, rather than to chuck em all in the deep end?
Not sure on that. The quote seems to be:
We took a few of the younger lads down with us on Saturday and I think it’s good even if they don’t get on the pitch to be in and around the first team environment, mixing with the first team players.
...I take that as talking about them being there at Ipswich, but it could be a bit of both. I'm sure they won't all start, but from other noises he's making, there might be a lot of changes. Alnwick's injured; the West Ham loanees haven't travelled; then there's the "minor niggles" that "some of the lads" are carrying – obviously it's case-by-case but I strongly doubt he'd risk anyone he's not sure about. Depending on the formation he may decide to rest Beevers, who's played every league minute; Madine and Karacan (plus the Hammers loanees) have also appeared in every league game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

I reckon it'll be 5-3-2 (let's not pretend it wouldn't be a 5!)

Howard (unless Alnwick is out for a while, then poss Turner), Little, Darby, Dorian, Beevers, Antonee, Pratz, Karacan, a kid, ALF, Wilbraham.

Not sure we can avoid playing at least one kid. No Cullen, Vela, Derik. Do we have anymore senior midfielders? Noone as a 10 maybe?

It's gonna be bollocks anyway. Bilic still under pressure too, reckon they'll put our a semi decent team and we'll get bummed.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

No interest in this game at all....

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

I am hoping Little and Robinson will be rested, given their roles require the most energy in the 3/5 at the back system and they have played Tuesday and Saturday last week, and we have no replacements for them, and, most importantly, the Brentford game is crucial. We also play Bristol City and Villa next Tuesday and Saturday, so this is the only opportunity to give those who have played 3 games last week a rest. So I am guessing he will go to a back4. Something like:

Howard; Darby, Dervite, Beevers, Taylor (if fit otherwise Brockbank/Lonsdale); King, Perry, Earing, Pratley, Armstrong; Wilbraham.

Bench; Turner, ALF, Buckley (if fit), Hall, White, Brockbank, Lonsdale, Madine.

I can't imagine who would be on the bench if Buckley and Taylor aren't available.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm
I reckon it'll be 5-3-2 (let's not pretend it wouldn't be a 5!)

Howard (unless Alnwick is out for a while, then poss Turner), Little, Darby, Dorian, Beevers, Antonee, Pratz, Karacan, a kid, ALF, Wilbraham.

Not sure we can avoid playing at least one kid. No Cullen, Vela, Derik. Do we have anymore senior midfielders? Noone as a 10 maybe?

It's gonna be bollocks anyway. Bilic still under pressure too, reckon they'll put our a semi decent team and we'll get bummed.
They're hosting the hated Spurs on Saturday lunchtime so Bilic won't be prioritising it. Not saying we're equal to their reserves like but as Parky notes, they probably won't risk Andy Carroll or anyone else with a niggle.

Not sure Darby's travelled, he's only just back training and mentioned (by Parky) in same breath as Sammy and Vela. I might be wrong but I don't think he'll play, which might open up a role for young Harry Brockbank (or, possibly, Alex Perry, who played in a back three pre-season and got good notes, albeit not against West Ham).

The kid in midfield might be Earing, or Perry. He might revert to 4-2-3-1 and play Jeff King wide, maybe Noone to give him some more match fitness, or likesay possibly even Chris Taylor now we're not embargo-restricted (Ken said CT was in the 24-man embargo squad, but it seemed hypothetical...) – but then with 4-2-3-1 you've got the problem of ALF. Maybe him as a 10 behind Wilbraham, but then you're very light in midfield.

Easiest way to pick a team is wingbacks with Little and Robinson, but (like Bristol Wanderer) I'd worry if they can do three games in a week, because Brentford is approximately 4,000 times bigger than this.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Perry played for the U23s last night I think, as did Lonsdale. King and/or Earing will get some time I think. You've all forgotten Pratley is alive and kicking, definite starter tonight.

Be an interesting team selection I think. Could be a right pummeling, or someone could step up. Big chance now for some of these kids.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm

I have to say I'd totally forgotten about Chris Taylor. He will definitely make the 18. So Darby, Perry and Lonsdale not available. Connor Hall also played in the U23s. I am struggling to pick a side!!

Ok back to 3/5 at the back. 3-4-3/5-4-1:

Howard; Dervite, Beevers, Brockbank; C.Taylor, Earing, Pratley, A.Taylor; Armstrong, Buckley, Wilbraham;

Bench; Turner, ALF, Madine, Karacan, King, White, Noone

Actually not the most terrible looking side!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:00 pm

I'd forgotten about Taylor too.

Thought Buckley was out too (asking with Darby I'd forgotten) and many others. Can't see us risking Taylor. Think he'll be back in a 4 at the weekend (so Robinson less needed). Taylor at RWB then.

With injuries, Cullen/Burke, and kids playing last night I'm not even sure how we get to XI, never find in what order!

Anyone else going?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Cup or League? Do we really have the option of worrying about resting anybody? Normal rules hardly apply with us, injuries and lack of midfeld dominance (oh, for a Kevin Nolan ) It's a bit like Rourke's Drift right now; if they can fire a rifle they're fit to fight. Stand up and be counted or get ready to go back down. We have neither the money or the players to play the choices game. A win would do wonders for confidence, but I'd rather it be Saturday if choices are in it. That said, it's West Ham, so...COME ON YOU WHITES..... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:23 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm
I have to say I'd totally forgotten about Chris Taylor. He will definitely make the 18. So Darby, Perry and Lonsdale not available. Connor Hall also played in the U23s. I am struggling to pick a side!!

Ok back to 3/5 at the back. 3-4-3/5-4-1:

Howard; Dervite, Beevers, Brockbank; C.Taylor, Earing, Pratley, A.Taylor; Armstrong, Buckley, Wilbraham;

Bench; Turner, ALF, Madine, Karacan, King, White, Noone

Actually not the most terrible looking side!!
If ALF doesn't start tonight I'll be surprised, but not as much as he'll be angry.