Zeros and Villans: Aston Villa (A) 30/9/17

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Zeros and Villans: Aston Villa (A) 30/9/17

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:41 am

FWIW also, if we started ALF for the next 8 games and tried to funnel everything through him, I'm convinced we would score at least one goal and win no less than zero games. So it might be worth a try at some point.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:41 am
FWIW also, if we started ALF for the next 8 games and tried to funnel everything through him, I'm convinced we would score at least one goal and win no less than zero games. So it might be worth a try at some point.

As long as we don't smash it up to his head from 50 yards away.

I like ALF. He not just a goals scorer as he works hard when he plays. I do think he needs to play to keep his fitness levels up (match fit anyway).
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 pm
We can play better every week and we have improved slightly, but come on its not hard to improve on previous performances is it ?

But Madine is NOT a goal scorer, therefore unless we can bring in a player who knows how to score goals - we'll be down by Feb (at the latest) regardless of how well we play because relying on Madine to score is laughable.

So we are back to the fact that Parkinson can't play a system or style of football without Madine, who's possibly the most un prolific centre forward in BWFC history (in terms of goals per game) - possibly even worse then Trevor Morgan (who I think is a better player than Madine)
Febuary?????
We'll be dead and buried by Christmas at this rate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Serious question, how do you funner play through him? He's not good with his back to goal, we know that. He doesn't have pace to run the channels, and doesn't have strength to fight centre halves. He's someone who comes alive in the box. But I'm not sure how you'd funnel anything through him.

We've a midfield that even with Vela in is functionally solid at best. ALF needs with a deeper creative number 10 to play off him (a Clough) someone to create chances for him....struggling to see one of those, OR to play off Madine and feed off scraps in the box. I don't see any other way that makes sense.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
Serious question, how do you funner play through him? He's not good with his back to goal, we know that. He doesn't have pace to run the channels, and doesn't have strength to fight centre halves. He's someone who comes alive in the box. But I'm not sure how you'd funnel anything through him.

We've a midfield that even with Vela in is functionally solid at best. ALF needs with a deeper creative number 10 to play off him (a Clough) someone to create chances for him....struggling to see one of those, OR to play off Madine and feed off scraps in the box. I don't see any other way that makes sense.
Play our wide players further up the pitch instead of in some weird twilight zone between midfield and defence, would be a start.

Focus on wideplay - Focus on getting our full backs in support of the wingers to create opportunities. Focus on having defensive midfielders filling in, instead of chasing shadows. Focus on having a midfielder further up who can fight for second balls from wide deliveries. We have arguably our most quality on the wings, so use them.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Ten minutes of highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GH3CoRric

I like Ameobi's 30 yard shot in the first half. We need more of that. I can hardly remember any of our players shooting from long range all season.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Centre backs miles apart, midfield wide open, yet we still could've gotten something out of that
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:49 pm

That trip in the box: When you get tripped the first instinct is to try to stay up (except if you're a professional footballer of course) . The Kodgia fella (pronounced dodgier) was down and flat out faster than a rat down a drainpipe. He must practise that every day in training. Total con.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Have you ever seen a penalty given against us and thought, "yeah, fair cop"? :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 pm
Have you ever seen a penalty given against us and thought, "yeah, fair cop"? :lol:
Oh aye, I distinctly remember one back in 1959, but I suppose you do it all the time, being such a fair minded chap and all... :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am

We're not moaning about Villa's penalty are we? It was one of the most blatant I've ever seen. The blame lies solely with the hapless Beevers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:35 am

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am
We're not moaning about Villa's penalty are we? It was one of the most blatant I've ever seen. The blame lies solely with the hapless Beevers.
I think PP mentioned the lad was offside in the build up to the shot that caused the corner that caused the punch which caused the defender to take on Beevers. If it hadn't had been for that we'd have drawn 0-0.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:11 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think PP mentioned the lad was offside in the build up to the shot that caused the corner that caused the punch which caused the defender to take on Beevers. If it hadn't had been for that we'd have drawn 0-0.
Causality eh?
Thing is he wasn't deemed offside.
Another Thing is, if he had 'a'bin, then the subsequent hoof upfield from the restart would have landed straight at the feet of their goalkeeper who then would have repunted it upfield and scored. After that with our team in total disarray, they went on to win 26 nil.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:30 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

No, the rest of the game would have taken on a different and completely unforeseeable version of events.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:30 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

No, the rest of the game would have taken on a different and completely unforeseeable version of events.
Great minds think alike... And all that...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Or fools seldom differ. :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Or fools seldom differ. :D
Absolutely... :whack:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Cracking saturday today. Guaranteed not to be spoilt by football!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:48 pm
Cracking saturday today. Guaranteed not to be spoilt by football!
Apart from Bradford winning... :spank:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください