Scary movie; The race to the bottom; Sunderland v Bolton 31/10/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Scary movie; The race to the bottom; Sunderland v Bolton 31/10/2017

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 am

A huge game this in the context of the bottom of the Championship, and quite appropriate that it is taking place on Halloween. The Stadium of Light has certainly been the scene for multiple horror shows this year with this season Sunderland drawing twice and losing five times there, having not been ahead all season there, and haven't had a competitive home win since December 2016.

In theory it takes quite spectacular mismanagement to get a club who were one of the biggest 25 clubs in the world in 2016/17, with £93m TV income, with a wage bill of £90m, to second bottom of the Championship. In reality there has been a losing mentality around Sunderland for a number of years, with survival continually snatched following an end of season new manager bounce, only for the new manager to suffer the same fate the following season. The formula failed in 2016/17 as they actually stuck with David Moyes all season but miserably finished bottom with 24 points from 38 games. They have tried to downsize this season as their only source of goals, Jermaine Defoe, and promising keeper Jordan Pickford left for nowt and £30m respectively. They were restricted only to bargain buys to replace them, with James Vaughan (£900k from Bury), Aidan McGeady (£500k from Everton), Lewis Grabban (loan from Bournemouth), Jason Steele (£250k from Blackburn) joining. However things are bleak. Jack Rodwell cost £10m in 2015 with no relegation clause, is said to be on £60k per week even now, and isn't in the first eighteen. Steele is rooted to his line at set pieces as teams score headed goals from two yards out. The midfield is lacking energy. Simon Grayson looked a decent replacement for Moyes as manager, but he has been unable to remove the losing stench, and he is under big pressure with many fans wanting him sacked before our game, and certainly looking likely to be sacked if they fail to beat us.

Whilst we may be currently leading the race to the bottom, things are starting to look brighter. We are three games unbeaten since we managed to field all our better players at the same time two weeks ago. There seems to be a confident mood in the camp. The squad might be tested for this game however, with Taylor injured against Fulham, Ameobi suffering cramp suggesting he is a way short of full fitness, and Vela still not managing 90 minutes following his long injury lay off. No doubt there may be more knocks and tiredness (both mentally and physically) after the heroic efforts at Fulham only returned one point.

So how will we do? Who will play? I am going for:

Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Beevers, Robinson; Henry, Pratley, Vela, Noone, Armstrong; Madine, with Ameobi coming off the bench, to snatch a 2-1 win. COYW.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Scary movie; The race to the bottom; Sunderland v Bolton 31/10/2017

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:42 am

The pressure has been off recently, we'd been so bad scoring a goal or not getting beat felt like results in themselves. This is massive though if we're to have any hope.

Those stats you mention at the beginning look like they come from a match report that reads "until their game against Bolton last night..."
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:42 am
The pressure has been off recently, we'd been so bad scoring a goal or not getting beat felt like results in themselves. This is massive though if we're to have any hope.

Those stats you mention at the beginning look like they come from a match report that reads "until their game against Bolton last night..."
This. There is a lot of pressure on us here. We need to win it. Had we beaten either Fulham or QPR we'd probably be ok with a draw here.

Also can't help but feel we are a soft touch for a side on poor form. Just has all the makings of a Sunderland win. We'll feel sorry for ourselves after Saturday. Love to go and win this though as it would absolutely be hilarious seeing that "massive club" drop twice in two years.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm

If you think there's pressure on us, try being them.

It's hardly a box-fresh idea but: Keep it tight early doors, nick a goal, wait for their wonderful fans to wail, hold out, watch them get desperate, score another on the break, enjoy the last 20 minutes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm
If you think there's pressure on us, try being them.

It's hardly a box-fresh idea but: Keep it tight early doors, nick a goal, wait for their wonderful fans to wail, hold out, watch them get desperate, score another on the break, enjoy the last 20 minutes.
Yep. I'd question more whether we're up to it physically after the Fulham effort. We're reliant on Vela, Ameobi etc and will they have enough in their legs to start and also play longer? Big ask for Henry too.

Rather it was at home to be honest.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Henry's fine. Vela will give us 75 minutes. Ameobi will shake off the knock and give us an hour.

Very happy to play them at theirs, where the pressure on them is becoming enormous. Like Fulham, they're worse at home than away, while our game arguably suits the road better than the Macron. If it were at ours, they could wait for us to blow ourselves out; at home, their fans will demand they attack from the off. In the first half-hour of home games, they've conceded five and scored none.

Iles tweet: "Couple of knocks in #bwfc camp. Taylor having scan on back, Morais (stomach), Le Fondre (calf). @ConnorHall12345 in the squad."

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:11 pm

We'll lose despite them being utterly atrocious at home since 1937, our fans will say "ah well, they've got loads of premier league dough and were due a win.. Never mind"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Iles: "Good news on Andy Taylor injury. Not as bad as first feared, according to Phil Parkinson, but will still go for a scan today. #bwfc"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Home win written all over it this one! When you need a win....who you gonna call...Bolton Wanderers!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Just really hoping that Saturday's late disappointment incentivises the guys and they absolutely take it to the Mackems. Obviously hoping for a win, I'll take a draw, but I'm afraid a defeat might have dreadful consequences.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 pm

I know this for a fact... whatever the score is at 75 minutes, I'm not going to enjoy the last fifteen (plus unknowable, extraneous, ridiculous, inconsiderate, galling, nail-biting, extra time minutes).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 am

^ I think I can count on one hand the number of away games in the last 40 years where I've been pretty relaxed in the last 15 minutes! This ain't gonna be one of em!

1-1 draw
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:22 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 am
^ I think I can count on one hand the number of away games in the last 40 years where I've been pretty relaxed in the last 15 minutes! This ain't gonna be one of em!

1-1 draw
I was relaxed plenty of times last season... but this is bigger. Still, I’m confident we can win it, if not necessarily confident we will.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:22 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

1-1 draw
I was relaxed plenty of times last season... but this is bigger. Still, I’m confident we can win it, if not necessarily confident we will.
Fair play. Even half time that time at Leicester when we were 4 up, I was thinking "we're good for a point here!"
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:22 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

1-1 draw
Fair play. Even half time that time at Leicester when we were 4 up, I was thinking "we're good for a point here!"
:D It's a typical mindset among fans that the world is never far from ending - see also the various quotes to the effect that we never beat that lot, we never win there, we're always a soft touch for a new manager or a team on a losing run etc. And in accordance with confirmation bias, we remember every time one of those runs extends but not when it ends (like winning at Gigg - reasonably easily - last season).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am

From the B.N. Andy Taylor is looking more or less ruled out for tonight with Antonee Robinson deputising. Morais has a stomah problem and Alf a calf strain. Mainly the bench from the looks of it and we'll probably start same as....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:11 pm

There's a Sunderland fan in our family who tells us Sunderland are one poor side. Well fear not, Bolton are the typical charity boys who will probably gift them the points. I wont even be bothering listening Jack Deardens scary Halloween commentary but, instead be watching Sky sports results as they come in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm

I''l be listening to Tower, hoping for a win, predicting one and saying "COME ON YOU WHITES"... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: as ever....There is no guarantee that any of it will do any good, but I can hope.. ae:)

:twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Looking forward to Radio Tango.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください