Nostalgia

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Nostalgia

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 am

Recently found this during a nostalgia journey on Youtube. Anyone remember a crackly version of this playing over the Tannoy at Burnden Park?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt0xa9V-2lY

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:00 am

And this one - these bring back memories of my early days at Burnden in the late 70's....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-c5X6D5kY

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 pm

I remember both of those!

When “My World Is A Football” came on, did anyone else sing “It’s not the winning, it’s not the losing, it’s kicking their heads in after the game!”?

Or was that just something the teenage me sang?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Most of you are probably too young to remember Burnden ringing out "I love to go a Wandering.....Valdareeee, Valdaraaaaa," :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 pm
Most of you are probably too young to remember Burnden ringing out "I love to go a Wandering.....Valdareeee, Valdaraaaaa," :lol:
Yup :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Bloody hell "Tango dancer" that's a blast from the deepest past? Happy Wanderer etc etc was always bellowing out to a mere few thousand back in those days in the late 60s. Later we had the Burnden beat which played up to date tunes.
I have both the songs mentioned "My world is a football was on an a CD I purchased from Amazon called "Some people are on the pitch"
I purchased "Here we go again" from a local record shop when it came out, the B side has a similar tune but not a bad one at all.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 pm

"Brought to you, of course, By Derek Guest Records" :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:07 pm

On this day in history: 5/11/1985

Bolton Wanderers 0 Darlington 3 (look 'em up, kids ;) )

The night is branded into every fibre of my very being.

A sodden Burnden crowd of only 2,902 (I think - the 2nd lowest for a league game in the club's entire history) which would have been five fewer had me and my mates been able to get our pissed-wet-through bommy lit, watched the penultimate home game of Charlie Wright's disastrous tenure.

The side that night comprised;

1/ Simon Farnworth (Now a Physio. Well, he'd never have got a job in coaching, would he?!)
2/ Warren Joyce (Walter's lad. Went on to manage Trafford Stiffs before a disastrous stint as Chief Pie Eater. Now managing in Melbourne)
3/ James Neil Phillips (Captained High Lawn. Winners of the 1977 BEN Cup: A career high point)
4/ Steve Thompson (Classy midfielder. Some shenanigans regarding his transfer to Luton, then Leicester about 20 minutes later. Held various assistant manager positions. No idea what he's up to now) (Replaced during the game by Tony Caldwell - an electrician from Salford)
5/ Derek Scott (Moved to Colne Dynamoes)
6/ Allardyce (who was promptly 4ucked off. His last ever game for us as a player. Managed England. Shops at shiteshirts.com ).
7/ Roger Walker (A greyhound. One with all the footballing ability of a greyhound. Of Maltese descent but couldn't even get a game for Malta despite playing out most of his career in Malta).
8/ David Cross (Top quality striker right at the end of his career. Scored 8 in 20 for us in a dreadful side).
9/ Wayne Entwistle (Quicker to name the clubs that he didn't play for. Went on to have a cooked meats business in Bury. Now works for MPT on the Manchester Airport section of the new Metrolink as a storeman. Wayne has played for eight clubs that have all won the FA Cup, which is a record)
10/ Asa Hartford (Legend of the game. Gutted when he was released. Currently scouting for Norwich, apparently)
11/ Graham Bell (We should name an end in his honour etc. etc, Once placed on standby by England Manager Don Revie. Denied BSA his only chance to play at Wembley when Phil Neal decided to switch subs and bring Bell on instead against Bristol City in the Freight Rover Trophy Final. Well in, Ginger. :D )

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 am

^ I remember the night well but a few surprises there Bruce.

It was our lowest league crowd ever wasn't it? I wasn't aware it ever got worse!

I remember it being Allardyces last game but to be fair to him, he then went onto Preston and captained them to promotion so perhaps still had something to offer?

Didn't know it was Charlie Wright's last game.

Entwistle, Bell and Walker must go down as three of our worst players ever. And all in the same side too. Phil Neal did well to keep that lot up that season.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 am

I always thought it was our worst ever crowd too, Harry, but someone proved me wrong.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 am
I always thought it was our worst ever crowd too, Harry, but someone proved me wrong.
We had a lower crowd v Rochdale in the sherpa van freight rover thing which was recorded as our lowest for a 'first class fixture' but I'd be surprised if we had a lower league gate than that Darlo game
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 am
We had a lower crowd v Rochdale in the sherpa van freight rover thing which was recorded as our lowest for a 'first class fixture' but I'd be surprised if we had a lower league gate than that Darlo game
I can't find any, on a quick peruse of the 80s in this archive of the now-defunct Nigel Sheppard stats page. Rochdale (I was one of the 1,507...) wasn't our only sub-2k Burnden cup crowd, but we don't seem to have dipped below the Darlo nadir in the league. Funny to look back at the D3/D4 days and how often we played in front of two or three thousand for away games - cue "is that all you bring at home" from the travelling hardcore. Darlo was as bad as it gets, but we didn't have all that many league gates below 4k even after season upon season of bad results.

(As an aside, if anyone could find a way to extract those season-by-season results into a spreadsheet, I'd be very interested in discussing it; it'd make searches like this a matter of seconds, but might be difficult as the stats here are on images rather than text.)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I was at that Darlington game. All I can remember is it was wet and miserable. Must be down there with the Aldershot and Scarborough games as our all-time nadir?

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm
Must be down there with the Aldershot and Scarborough games as our all-time nadir?
Stoke musn't have lived long in the memory then. :D Valderahahahahaha

Honestly though I love these kinds of nostalgia trips. Kinda humbling and reassuring to a come-lately Allardyce era fan.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 am

Would folk be interested if - and this is in no way a promise – I could find time to scan and upload some old Tripe 'n' Trotters issues?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 am
Would folk be interested if - and this is in no way a promise – I could find time to scan and upload some old Tripe 'n' Trotters issues?
Oh yes. Getting off the bus on Newport Street. Nipping in the newsagent for 10 Regal and a Tripe and Trotters. Over to The York for a few Burtonwood Top Hat and a poorly microwaved pastie. Down to Burnden to watch us lose to Newport County. Isn't it?! Wasn't it?! 😁
Definitely, mate.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am
Oh yes. Getting off the bus on Newport Street. Nipping in the newsagent for 10 Regal and a Tripe and Trotters. Over to The York for a few Burtonwood Top Hat and a poorly microwaved pastie. Down to Burnden to watch us lose to Newport County. Isn't it?! Wasn't it?! 😁
Definitely, mate.
:D
Your timeline's a bit off, though. Although we did lose at home to Newport in November 1986, we never played Newport while TnT was going :wink:

(It started in 1994 so times were Officially Good for most of its history, even if not all the contributors were happy... a bit like this place really...)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am
Definitely, mate.
:D
Your timeline's a bit off, though. Although we did lose at home to Newport in November 1986, we never played Newport while TnT was going :wink:

(It started in 1994 so times were Officially Good for most of its history, even if not all the contributors were happy... a bit like this place really...)
I'm sure you're right. I just randomly selected some bobbins outfit :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 pm

And on the back of the Darlo nadir - 10 years ago tonight. Bayern Munich 2, Bolton Wanderers 2. And I decided not to go so as to save the money to pay for the decorating. Sometimes I catch myself in the shaving mirror and tell myself "You, Son, are a massive bellend"!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 pm
And on the back of the Darlo nadir - 10 years ago tonight. Bayern Munich 2, Bolton Wanderers 2. And I decided not to go so as to save the money to pay for the decorating. Sometimes I catch myself in the shaving mirror and tell myself "You, Son, are a massive bellend"!
Mate of mine swerved That Anfield Game to save money and because "we'll obviously lose". I'm not sure he's ever got over it.