Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Contract expiry

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm

I'd like to see Ameobi's deal extended, but then I assume that'll depend on him wanting to stay and thus us staying up. His pace is something we'll always have a use for and he seems a good pro. Having our entire back three from last night out of contract is also a bit concerning. Obviously nobody at the club is worth weeping over if they move on, but there are far worse centre backs out there. Until we find more secure ownership and develop a proper progression plan, I suppose long term planning is out of the question.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Ameobi will have the pick of a few clubs, wages and signing on fee come July. Would be great to keep him here but I suspect we'll not be able to compete
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Probably. We need him to perform to keep us up, but if he does then he'll get a better offer elsewhere. C'est la vie.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:32 pm

He's been a lot of championship clubs already mind and failed to impress. Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed as the "main man" (assuming we stay up).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 pm

I've no problem with that. Pace is valuable. If nobody else wants him I'll be happy to see him stay and offer us an outlet.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Ken will give him Madine's big new contract so he can flog him for feck all next deadline day.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 pm

He can have 50p and a rollover hotdog every week. Given the number of players we've signed who were supposed to give us some quality and have done sod all (Karacan, Noone etc) I'm all for acting like Scrooge whenever possible.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 am

It is an interesting question re Ameobi. Lets say at some point in the next few weeks we are in a position to offer Ameobi a new deal. I have no idea if this is the way they are thinking, but lets say KA and PP have an initial chat with Ameobi. Lets assume we look like we might achieve safety. What should we offer him?

We obviously know little about player salaries at our club. Every now again some anecdotal evidence slips out or in times of financial strife some tabloids might highlight some player wages to make their point. So recently, Iles stated that Ken had made a contract offer to Madine that effectively doubled his wages from the current £6kpw. So we were prepared to offer Madine £12kpw. And it was stated (I think by Ken) that despite offering to double his salary we still couldn't compete with what Cardifff were offering. So maybe £15k-£18kpw is a reasonable estimate for what Cardiff were prepared to pay. Cardiff have a rich owner and are in their last year of parachute payments from their 2013/14 Prem relegation. Yet they are probably mid table in terms of Championship wage budgets. There has been a tabloid article written a couple of years ago that suggests Dervite was on £8pw prior to re-signing in the summer and Derik was and will still be on £8kpw. That Pratley is on £14kpw, Amos £16kpw. Obviously these contracts were handed out prior to our financial armageddon that nearly killed the club. Last year Ken stated he was trying to move away from those days and only offer sensible contracts, which Madine's £6kpw deal was perhaps an example of. Ameobi seemed to be persuaded to sign a deal in the summer, a one year deal, after initially being said to be out of our reach. So maybe he is on more than Madine, and more than those others who signed in the summer. Maybe £8k-£10kpw? It should be noted that despite the attempted prudence, this club is losing £5m-£6m this season, and we have just had to sell our best player to balance the books.

So what should we offer him? Say in March, before it becomes an auction in the summer? And lets assume he hasn't just scored a world class goal and been Motm on live TV, and the world has moved on a little, and his stock is at a more medium level. Should we really push the boat out and offer him £15kpw over 3 years? £20kpw to deter all but the wealthiest Championship clubs and higher? £12k that we might be prepared as a club to offer to our best players (assuming Ken really thought Madine was going to stay)? Maybe something like the £8k-£10kpw he might be on now? Though then he surely waits till the summer. Or just not bother and accept it isn't worth committing the club to contracts that could endanger future financial stability, wait till the summer with the knowledge we will more than likely lose him?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am

I would be offering performance bonuses rather than increased base salaries. It might mean losing him, but we just can't compete without jeopardising the club. It's not long ago we were all aghast at 16k a week for Amos. We'd be mental to start flinging that sort of salary around. Offer a sensible base salary and offer extras for appearances, goals, assists and overall team performance. At least that way we're not paying top Dollar for anyone under performing or sat on the bench. Until we have some investment in the club we have get costs below income.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:12 am

Any Amos sightings recently? He should be doing something for £16kpw, no?

Ken said that whatever he offered Madine would have made him the highest earner at the club. If Amos is on £16kpw then surely it'd be above that. Or, if Amos is technically no longer at the club it would be higher than Pratley's £14kpw.. (if these numbers are accurate)

As Ken is/was an agent hopefully he's making these new deals performance related. I guess the base could be a lot lower for Madine but if he were to remain undroppable and play every week the bonuses could be huge.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 am

I’m guessing Karacans dissapeared so as not to trigger the extension?

Surely worrth bringing back in now regardless -Derik is not good.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Derik's not a great player, but he puts a shift in and he did well covering the wingbacks when they bombed on. He's not the most technically talented player in the world - you can forgive that, though. Derik and Henry covered some ground on Friday night and I've no issue with their performances for that reason. They did as well as can be expected, given the limitations they have in terms of passing, pace etc.

If we were to bring in Karacan or someone else to offer us a bit more quality then it'd help us out getting into the opposition half; but it's only worth it if Parky thinks there's a decent chance they'll actually show up. Karacan has plenty of ability - we've just not seen it. No idea what his attitude is like as a pro, but I've not been impressed by him in a white shirt.

I think Karacan and Noone played in the U23s recently. They're both good enough for this division. If we can get them playing then it'll help us out a lot. People on here probably know more than I do about what the chances of that are.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Ameobi in today's BEN:
“The club hasn’t said anything to me (about a new contract) but I am enjoying myself here.

“The manager, the fans have been very patient with me and I owe them a lot.

“Hopefully I can repay that and we will see what the future holds.”

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 am

It's interesting how things can change so quickly. Derek and Dorian were both put in the window for the January sales, but a couple of outings and they've both shown their value as squad players. It'll come down to how much pruning Ken will want to do in the summer to balance the books as to whether those types of players stay. And what league we're in too I suppose.

A new Ameobi contract will also very much depend on what league we're in. I'm sure he'd have Championship suiters if we're relegated, and I'm sure his agent's savvy to that. Provided we stay up, I think Ken would do what he can to keep him - not least because he'd be one of our most saleable assets if pinned down on a longer term deal. But Ken's also talked lots about keeping to a new wage structure - rightly, imo. In which case, I think something like 15k pw would be the absoloute max we'd offer him (even that's probably too high, 12k closer to being the ceiling if that's what GM was offered). Other Champ clubs would eat that offer up before they'd even got out of bed, so I think it will come down to Sammy putting club before cash.

I'm sure Vela's contract is another one he'll be looking at in the summer, so that he's not bought for tuppence next Jan.
Any Amos sightings recently? He should be doing something for £16kpw, no?

Ken said that whatever he offered Madine would have made him the highest earner at the club. If Amos is on £16kpw then surely it'd be above that. Or, if Amos is technically no longer at the club it would be higher than Pratley's £14kpw.. (if these numbers are accurate)
Amos is on loan at Charlton (and doing alright, by the sounds of it). KA made reference to the deal they did with Charlton fairly recently... sounds like they've taken on some of the wages, but not enough for his liking. There's no chance we'd pay him out of his contract, but I hope something can be done to move him on int the summer, as the current situation's not hugely beneficial to anyone.
Last edited by palindromeofbolton on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:27 am

January window, in summary:
• Gary Madine leaves
• Loans of Adam Armstrong and Josh Cullen ended
• Antonee Robinson and (eventually) Reece Burke reloaned to June
• New loanees: Harry Charsley, Zach Clough, Jon Flanagan, Tyler Walker

Mark Howard
Ben Alnwick
Mark Beevers
David Wheater*
Dorian Dervite*
Reece Burke (half-season loan from West Ham, where he's contracted until 2020)
Derik Osede
Antonee Robinson (season loan from Everton, where he's contracted until 2019)
Jon Flanagan (half-season loan from Liverpool, where he's contracted until 2018 with an optional one-year extension)
Karl Henry
Alex Perry (pro; presumably a one-year deal but not stated; as of late December, is on one-month work-experience loan at Glossop North End)
Jem Karacan*
Darren Pratley
Harry Charsley (half-season loan from Everton, where he's contracted until 2019)
Filipe Morais*
Chris Taylor
Sammy Ameobi
Aaron Wilbraham
Zach Clough (half-season loan from Nottingham Forest, where he's contracted until 2021)
Tyler Walker (half-season loan from Nottingham Forest, where he's contracted until 2021)
Jeff King (pro)
Connor Hall (pro)
Third-year scholars: Harry Brockbank, Jack Earing, Cole Lonsdale, Ryan White

Ben Amos
Jake Turner (pro)
Mark Little
Stephen Darby
Andrew Taylor
Josh Vela
Will Buckley
Craig Noone
Adam Le Fondre*

Contracts until June unless otherwise stated. Corrections and clarifications (with citations) always welcome.
* - deals known to have extension "options"
"pro" - youngsters on professional deals rather than scholarships

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Did anyone know the answer to the max-loanees in a squad? Was it 5?

Charlsey presumably who misses out if so.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

And did we not get Harry Wilson in the end?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Five in a matchday squad. Harry Wilson went to Hull (that sounds like a shit film).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm
And did we not get Harry Wilson in the end?
Who?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Ameobi
I’d offer him a Madine type rise
With a release clause, say £6mil, or half if relegated. Surely we have to try and make some money off these guys if we are to survive as a club. Cant keep the short term recycle the squad approach up!