Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Re: Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

Post by Athertonian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Damn good point against what I thought were the best visiting team this season by far.
A nice two fingers up to Parky by Le Fondre who looked sharp when he came on.
Continue like this and we'll stay up.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

Post by twilight » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm still drooling over Alfie's goal :pray:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Some on here claimed they would never turn up again if their fantasy superhero, Madine, was sold. Hmmmm... still here I see. What was it you said? We'd never win again. Dommmmmmmmed, triple dommmmmed. *sneer*
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Asking questions of match-go'ers please?

Where (what areas) did we look strong/weak today? The result seems to say we played really well (their goal apart), great in fact, against a real form team, and it sounded like the unlikely ones ; Derik and Dervite, really stood out...???
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:46 pm
Asking questions of match-go'ers please?

Where (what areas) did we look strong/weak today? The result seems to say we played really well (their goal apart), great in fact, against a real form team, and it sounded like the unlikely ones ; Derik and Dervite, really stood out...???
About right. We looked pretty good going forward, but could have done with pressing them a bit more when out of possession. Most of our bad bits were in the first 20 mins.

Derik looked pretty good today - seemed like he pushed up further after the double change. ALF looked excellent when he came on - 'lazy' my hairy left goose-egg. Robinson also looked better defensively than he has previously.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Wheater and Beevers looked stunned at the movement of their front three in the first 10 minutes and we were giving possession away too cheaply. Little had no luck going forward today.

That 10 minutes aside, the back 3 were magnificent afterwards. No way would they have scored their soft goal in the 2nd half. Ameobi ran himself into the ground again, Robinson once again was a threat going forward and better defensively. The players are grafting well as a unit and working their socks off for the manager and the shirt
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:10 pm

View from the West Stand Upper:

A really enthralling game. Fulham lived up to their pre match billing and were excellent throughout. The first 25 minutes or so from our point of view were terrible, and after taking a 4th minute lead it seemed Fulham were going to win convincingly. We managed to work ourselves into the game and half time it didn't seem a lost cause. Fulham then started the second half the stronger, but from nowhere ALF scored a wonder goal. We were then on top for 10 minutes or so, with Vela close to a spectacular winner, then Fulham finished the stronger and we looked knackered and were hanging on. Fulham were classy and might feel they deserved to win, but we deserved the draw for our spirit alone, which matched last weeks. Overall a really interesting game.

I found our tactics really interesting. Although we set up 3-5-2, with Clough and Ameobi up front, when their keeper had the ball, we went man for man, which meant Derik and Vela often high up the pitch preventing any of their midfielders or defenders receiving the ball, and we were man for man against their attackers. It looked risky but it was effective in making them kick it long more than they wanted to. Then when Alnwick had it, we used Ameobi as Madine 2.0 and hit it long down the middle. It seemed to be asking a lot of Ameobi, but their CH's didn't seem to want to head it, and that long ball often ended up reaching the edge of their area, with their defenders not in control. Overall it seemed Parky had really done his homework. I haven't seen us approach a game like that before, well not the set up when their keeper had the ball at least.

Wonder kid Sessegnon started well but faded out of the game. He does look very composed to go with his obvious athleticism and it is hard to believe he is 17. Fredericks at right back was scarily quick and made Robinson, who I would say is our quickest player look pedestrian at times.

Credit to ALF for making the impact from the bench. Good to hear his song being sung lustily around the stadium, and he has a chance to have a good end to the season with more game time as this system suits him. Clough looked devoid of confidence when his chance came and Parky might need to use all his psychological skills to get him going again. Hard to decide who was Motm, I would go Dervite. Ameobi again had a good game and it seems Parky might see him as a full blown target man. If Ameobi can make a fist of the physical side of that role, when you factor in his skill and pace, he could be a Premiership player soon.

Overall an excellent point against an excellent side. Onwards and hopefully upwards. COYW.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 am

One thing I noticed. Our goal, our lovely lovely goal, was proper Route One: goalkeeper drop-kick, flick-on, finish. And which towering Samsonian target-man provided the flick-on? Gary Madine? Kevin Davies? Kevin Francis? Michael Jordan? Robert Pershing Wadlow? No, it was Antonee Robinson.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 am

2 assists in two. Lad is on fire.

I mean in both cases there was still a bit to do, but...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am

A ll the reports I've read seemed to give us credit for being worth a point (all except their manager who disagrees, of course) .
When you think about it (and somebody made the point) four points off Bristol and Fulham is pretty spectacular. This is no level playing field, just a money v the rest league, and all considered we're doing a pretty decent job. Long may it stay that way. :oyea: :oyea:

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am
A ll the reports I've read seemed to give us credit for being worth a point (all except their manager who disagrees, of course) .
When you think about it (and somebody made the point) four points off Bristol and Fulham is pretty spectacular. This is no level playing field, just a money v the rest league, and all considered we're doing a pretty decent job. Long may it stay that way. :oyea: :oyea:
Just to emphasize the money point, Fulham's three subs were:

Mitrovic, signed by Newcastle for £14m in 2016.
Kamara, signed for £6m in the summer.
Cairney, who was the subject of bids reported to be in the region of £12m - £15m in the last two TW's.

Over £30m of ability coming off the bench!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:16 pm

In the cold cold cold light of day, all the rest of the immediate opposition drew too. So, not much of a step forward as it could have been. Shame, as I thought there was a heroic attitude amongst the players to reconstitute what 'team' play means. We deserved more out of the position we lie in than we got.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:16 pm
In the cold cold cold light of day, all the rest of the immediate opposition drew too. So, not much of a step forward as it could have been. Shame, as I thought there was a heroic attitude amongst the players to reconstitute what 'team' play means. We deserved more out of the position we lie in than we got.
It might well be like this till season end Spots. Up to us now to keep our noses in front and give nothing away. Not all games are going to be as hard as the last couple, although the bottom six will probably be fighting for their lives with some effort. I'm just glad there are a few rungs on the ladder below us in use. All down to us.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It might well be like this till season end Spots. Up to us now to keep our noses in front and give nothing away. Not all games are going to be as hard as the last couple, although the bottom six will probably be fighting for their lives with some effort. I'm just glad there are a few rungs on the ladder below us in use. All down to us.
No doubting that. But I was hoping for at least one of the six around us to lose.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:54 pm

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Absolutely. And to put a #HalfFull slant on yesterday's results (plus Brum lost today), you could argue that the Barnsley and Hull results drag Forest and Wednesday further into an imminent mire situation.

Forest have Burton, Reading then QPR next. If they don't take 4 or 5 points from that they'll be up to their knees. We've got QPR, Sunderland, Reading and Wednesday coming up within the month - all 5.5 pointers, at this stage of the season. In that context I'd take a point against the in-form team of the div as a bonus irrespective of other results.

*Shakes fist at fine margins nevertheless*

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 pm

What a fecking goal!

Will be interesting to see how we do after the big rush of two table-toppers who have most of the ball. How we do when it becomes a grind again.

Glass half-full, the pace and movement we have up top will make us much more of a threat away from home. We will also have more of spark when teams sit in deep against us instead of all our eggs in Nadine's basket.

Glass half-empty, without a target man we'll never be able to get hold of the ball, and the attritional grind will push us deeper and deeper until the pressure inevitably gives.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Some on here claimed they would never turn up again if their fantasy superhero, Madine, was sold. Hmmmm... still here I see. What was it you said? We'd never win again. Dommmmmmmmed, triple dommmmmed. *sneer*
Ha. Brilliant. The "I told you so" after two games.

You might want to wait till the end of the season before crowing. Or at least till after the next three games, two of which are make or break.

We've absolutely grafted our knackers off in two games, (apart from the first 20 on Saturday) and defended brilliantly. And scored two absolute wonder goals.

I still question, how repeatable is that? We've no reliable way of creating chances against teams now. We're very reliant on Sammy who runs out of energy as the game goes on and ultimately is very inconsistent. After that we can't throw crosses in, have no target to play off and if someone doesn't score an individual goal then our only hope seems to be a set piece. And we're not scoring from set pieces. In the last ten minutes on Saturday the ball came back time and time again. In reality on another day Fulham would and should have scored in that period. We're on the finest of fine margins.

The time to judge this wondrous new world will be QPR away, Sunderland at home. Two teams in and around us, who we'll have to break down. Games where you need a way of creating and taking a chance or two. IMO they will be very different sorts of games to what we've just faced. Huge credit to Parky for finding ways to take valuable points in those games. But the test is going to be beating QPR and Sunderland. I'm unconvinced as yet that what we've got has the ability to do it. Spirit we've got in bucketloads. But when the emphasis is on us to get at teams I wonder how we'll go.

As Pru says the grind will be the key. And I think its a huge question mark still.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Have we done well away from home with Madine in the side this season? If so I must have missed those games. We were still near the bottom with him, so it's not as if it's earth shatteringly bad that we have lost him, is it?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 am

Ha. Brilliant. The "I told you so" after two games.You might want to wait till the end of the season before crowing. Or at least till after the next three games, two of which are make or break.
We've absolutely grafted our knackers off in two games, (apart from the first 20 on Saturday) and defended brilliantly. And scored two absolute wonder goals.

I still question, how repeatable is that? We've no reliable way of creating chances against teams now. We're very reliant on Sammy who runs out of energy as the game goes on and ultimately is very inconsistent. After that we can't throw crosses in, have no target to play off and if someone doesn't score an individual goal then our only hope seems to be a set piece. And we're not scoring from set pieces. In the last ten minutes on Saturday the ball came back time and time again. In reality on another day Fulham would and should have scored in that period. We're on the finest of fine margins.

The time to judge this wondrous new world will be QPR away, Sunderland at home. Two teams in and around us, who we'll have to break down. Games where you need a way of creating and taking a chance or two. IMO they will be very different sorts of games to what we've just faced. Huge credit to Parky for finding ways to take valuable points in those games. But the test is going to be beating QPR and Sunderland. I'm unconvinced as yet that what we've got has the ability to do it. Spirit we've got in bucketloads. But when the emphasis is on us to get at teams I wonder how we'll go.

As Pru says the grind will be the key. And I think its a huge question mark still.
So, just what exactly are you saying Insaney? Do you want us to win/survive or would you rather be negative so you can say "I told you so" if we fail? Do you really think that parting with one player, even if he were combination of Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo would be the end of our world? We've existed with patchwork teams before that were less skilled than the one we now have. We spent a full season with a striker at left back, have seen really decent, even exceptional players never come back from injury and struggled so much that we almost went out of business a few weeks ago. If ever there was a time for supporting and showing some positivity, it's now. This "wonderous new world" is just a snide comment of your imagination because nobody is claiming any such thing at all. We'd have exactly the same situation and targets whoever plays for us, and Gary Madine (because this is what you're all about, isn't it?) woudn't change a thing if the rest of the lads didn't play their bollox off. It's like this, because this is who, what and where we are as a club. Most of us just hope for the best, something like about a dozen other teams in this league. Football's all about money now (here's where you say "No shxt Sherlock!"), and everybody and his dog knows we have none. That's our long-term problem, not just selling a player to pay the bills so we can carry on for a while. Shxt Creek looks about as wide as the Bosphorous right now and our canoe is no luxury liner. We just keep the faith and keep hoping.

Just don't forget your wonder boy rattled in a transfer request at the first smell of a pay rise.( fact, by his own admission) He wasn't exactly sure what shirt he'd be wearing the following week except it certainly wouldn't be a Bolton one.

COME ON YOU WHITES.......