The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:42 pm
Well, the Obasi thing is confirmed.
With a somewhat lukewarm reception from BB (per BN):
I haven’t seen a great deal of him in training because of the weather and now we've given him a contract which is pay-as-you-go.

He's not ready yet. But I thought for no cost we might as well tuck him in the Under-23s to see how he gets on and then if he gets to a level and can make a contribution, great. He has played at a good level in the Bundesliga etc but I don’t want the supporters to think he’ll be out there making a difference in a week’s time because we had to make a decision on what we’d seen in the dome playing seven-a-side.

It got to the point – and no fault of his – but he’d played in the Under-23s game and had one or two offers. He said ‘I’ll back myself and come on a pay as you play contract’. To have another striker at no cost unless he makes an appearance is one we decided to take. He’s a good lad but he’s got work to do.
Hardly a ringing endorsement. No doubt he will be brilliant and its all Parky's fault that he's not playing. Then he'll play and be bobbins and again it'll be Parky's fault for signing him.

Replacing our top scorer with nobody is going to bite us come the end. I just hope we can take the bite and still keep our heads above water.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:15 pm

A propos of nothing much, some of summer's freebies, according to Transfermarkt.

SUNDERLAND - John O’Shea, Marc Wilson, Billy Jones, Darron Gibson, Kazenga LuaLua, Ethan Robson. (They’ll also lose loanees Lee Camp, Joniesta Williams, Tyias Browning, Ashley Fletcher, Brendan Galloway, Jake Clarke-Salter and Ovie Ejaria.)

BURTON - Jake Buxton, Hope Akpan, Tom Naylor, Lloyd Dyer, Tom Flanagan, Stephen Bywater, Damien McCrory, Shaun Barker, Luke Varney, Harry Campbell (plus loanees Darren Bent, Luke Murphy, Jacob Davenport & Martin Samuelson)

BIRMINGHAM - Jason Lowe, David David, Jack Storer – plus loanees Carl Jenkinson, Sam Gallagher, Jeremie Boga, Cohen Bramall. Lukas Jutkiewicz is under contract until 2020.

BARNSLEY - Andy Yiadom, Matt Mills (!), Adam Hammill, Jack Walton - plus loanees Oli McBurnie, Connor Mahoney, Joe Williams & Gary Gardner

BRADFORD - Tony McMahon, Nicky Law, Colin Doyle, Paul Taylor, Timothee Dieng, Rouven Sattelmaier, Lukas Raeder, Omari Patrick and half a dozen kids

SCUNTHORPE (includes) Conor Townsend, Luke Williams, Tom Hopper, Jonny Margetts, Duane Holmes, Hakeeb Adelakun. Josh Morris is only under contract until 2019.

Also out of contract: Walsall’s wee creator Erhum Oztumer – only two L1 players have scored more than his 14 goals this season; Wimbledon’s Lyle Taylor (27, 6ft 2in, 11 goals in 35 games); Chris Long, formerly of this parish. Former target Eoin Doyle has scored 13 goals in 18 games on loan to Oldham, but his Preston contract runs another year.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes please on Oztumer and just for his name alone, Brums David David
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm
Ha! :D David Davis, 27, midfielder, formerly of Wolves. Not the Brexit bloke.

ADB
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ADB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm
Oztumer would be a great pick up. He may only be three feet tall but his left foot is magic.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm

That released list is the definition of mediocrity! I'd take a couple of the Barnsley players and that's about it. Loan market it is again then...

Oztumer would be good and I wouldn't be averse to Taylor as a backup.

How about the mid-table freebies?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:05 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm
That released list is the definition of mediocrity! I'd take a couple of the Barnsley players and that's about it. Loan market it is again then...
Well, you'd expect so, unless they're players who have been shining like a, like a, like a light for struggling teams to the extent that they think they can get better jobs elsewhere. Loan market, aye, but we might even have a few bob to spend – not seven figures, but a few bob. Although I'm sure BWFCi will be along to disagree, I wouldn't be stunned to see us buy one or two players in summer. And then of course there's Ken's pledge to reopen talks with potential investors...
jmjhb wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm
How about the mid-table freebies?
Aye, I'll get round to it in time. And those who are surplus at better clubs would be, you'd imagine, better players. For now I just wondered about those below us.

EDIT If anybody wishes to poke through the lists, there's apparently 140 Champo players whose contracts end this June. Dig in:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/champions ... bewerb/GB2

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm

League One's imminent Bosmen (https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-on ... bewerb/GB3) include
• Blackburn striker Danny Graham (33 in August)
• Yer Man Jay Spearing (30 in November)
• Wigan left-back Reece James (24, signed from MU)
• Rob Hall – it’s his season
• Erhun Oztumer (Walsall, turns 30 in May)
• that lad Da Silva at Peterborough

Had a quick flick through the Championship's imminent Bosmen (https://www.transfermarkt.com/champions ... bewerb/GB2) for centre-forwards. They include David McGoldrick, who we tried to sign on deadline day. He’s scored 6 in 22 this season, 60 in 273 games across his tier-two career, turned 30 in November and is a six-footer.
If you want someone 6ft 3in, Cardiff’s Frederic Gounongbe looks like he’ll be available. Turns 30 in May. Benin international, born in Brussels, scored 22 in 43 Belgian top-flight games but bugger-all for Cardiff in 15 appearances (totalling 432 minutes) since his free transfer there two summers ago. Signed by Trollope, Warnock didn’t fancy him, didn’t give him a squad number last year.
Or if you like ‘em even bigger, Sheff Weds’ 6ft 5in Atdhe Nuhiu is running out of contract. The Kosovan turns 29 in summer. Awful scoring record of 21 in 162 tier-two games for Wednesday (5 in 81 over the last three seasons!).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm
Or if you like ‘em even bigger, Sheff Weds’ 6ft 5in Atdhe Nuhiu is running out of contract. The Kosovan turns 29 in summer. Awful scoring record of 21 in 162 tier-two games for Wednesday (5 in 81 over the last three seasons!).
I noted Parky give him some kind words after the game there....wouldn't surprise me in the slightest....

EDIT: From the Parky comments on Burke's inclusion.
“Sheffield Wednesday was a huge test because the player he was marking, Atdhe Nuhiu, is a big unit who gets a load of stick from the Wednesday fans,” he said. “I’ve seen him come off the bench loads of times and the fans start moaning – but right now he looks like a better player, to me, because there are a lot of games in the players’ legs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm
I noted Parky give him some kind words after the game there....wouldn't surprise me in the slightest....

“Sheffield Wednesday was a huge test because the player he was marking, Atdhe Nuhiu, is a big unit who gets a load of stick from the Wednesday fans,” he said. “I’ve seen him come off the bench loads of times and the fans start moaning – but right now he looks like a better player, to me, because there are a lot of games in the players’ legs.
Interesting. The Owlstalk forum is fairly 50/50 between those telling Parky to neb out and those who agree (that there's too much moaning).

For the record those 81 appearances since summer 2015 have totalled 3,230 minutes, or about 40 minutes per game; he's come on 49 times in those 81 games. Although his overall second-tier record of 21 goals in 162 games sounds like 1 in 8, his minutes-per-goal rate of 405 is more like 1 in 4.5 – although he has dropped off recently.

Not that I'm saying we should sign him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Interesting. The Owlstalk forum is fairly 50/50 between those telling Parky to neb out and those who agree (that there's too much moaning).

For the record those 81 appearances since summer 2015 have totalled 3,230 minutes, or about 40 minutes per game; he's come on 49 times in those 81 games. Although his overall second-tier record of 21 goals in 162 games sounds like 1 in 8, his minutes-per-goal rate of 405 is more like 1 in 4.5 – although he has dropped off recently.

Not that I'm saying we should sign him.
He's one of those big lads who every so often comes off the bench for 20 minutes and causes absolute mayhem, is unplayable and completely changes a game.

But its once every so often, not regularly.

I'd not be upset with him as an option. Certainly not as the option though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 pm
He's one of those big lads who every so often comes off the bench for 20 minutes and causes absolute mayhem, is unplayable and completely changes a game.

But its once every so often, not regularly.

I'd not be upset with him as an option. Certainly not as the option though.
The Wilbraham of 2018/19...

Here's a thing. The same site's list of Premier League expiring contracts contains just one centre-forward - some old guy called Zlatan – but a startling 20 goalkeepers, many eliciting a "Christ, I forgot about him": Joel Robles, Wayne Hennessey, Tim Krul, Michel Vorm, Diego Cavalieri, Eduardo, Artur Boruc, Willy Caballero, Boaz Myhill, Matej Delac, Jakob Haugaard, Anders Lindegaard, Ben Hamer, Julián Speroni, Robert Green, Niki Mäenpää, Stuart Taylor, Jack Rose. (I mention this partly out of fun, but it's worth noting that both Alnwick and Howard are out of contract in June.)

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Alnwick will surely stay, be surprised if Howard does though. I'd like to think we would promote Turner to the bench (unless we flog him).

Nuhiu strikes me as the type of player Parky would love. As you said, not averse to it but as long as it's one of a few options...can see us going back in for McGoldrick too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I'd bin both off. Both out of contact and looks like a buyer's market for keepers. Also don't want to see Turner stuck behind too many never-going-to-be-good-enoughs.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 am

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm
list of Premier League expiring contracts contains just one centre-forward - some old guy called Zlatan – but a startling 20 goalkeepers, many eliciting a "Christ, I forgot about him": Joel Robles, Wayne Hennessey, Tim Krul, Michel Vorm, Diego Cavalieri, Eduardo, Artur Boruc, Willy Caballero, Boaz Myhill, Matej Delac, Jakob Haugaard, Anders Lindegaard, Ben Hamer, Julián Speroni, Robert Green, Niki Mäenpää, Stuart Taylor, Jack Rose. (I mention this partly out of fun, but it's worth noting that both Alnwick and Howard are out of contract in June.)
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm
I'd bin both off. Both out of contact and looks like a buyer's market for keepers. Also don't want to see Turner stuck behind too many never-going-to-be-good-enoughs.
I know what you mean, particularly on Turner. I know there's a leap from U23s to men's football but considering the hoopla you'd hope we'd trust him to at least warm the bench. Alnwick has done reasonably well this season but you wonder if it's a phase rather than a development; with the best will in the world, we're going to concede shots so we're going to need a reliable keeper. Parky has proved himself to be quite loyal but can also make tough decisions when needed, so this could be interesting.

Championship goalkeepers with lapsing contracts: Allan McGregor, Mark Bunn, Luke Steele, Anssi Jaakkola, Ben Alnwick, Mark Howard, Dean Gerken, Brian Murphy, Tomás Mejías, Stephen Bywater, Ben Wilson, Kelle Roos, Dimitrios Konstantopoulos, Seny Dieng, Matthew Hudson, Michael Crowe, Harry Campbell, Jack Walton, Callum Roberts. Details: https://www.transfermarkt.com/champions ... 0&yt0=Show

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 am

Big 2-page article in The Sun today on Alfie; all about his change of attitude and being glad to be back at Bolton. Not got a link as the wife gets The Sun and I read it there.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 am
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm
list of Premier League expiring contracts contains just one centre-forward - some old guy called Zlatan – but a startling 20 goalkeepers, many eliciting a "Christ, I forgot about him": Joel Robles, Wayne Hennessey, Tim Krul, Michel Vorm, Diego Cavalieri, Eduardo, Artur Boruc, Willy Caballero, Boaz Myhill, Matej Delac, Jakob Haugaard, Anders Lindegaard, Ben Hamer, Julián Speroni, Robert Green, Niki Mäenpää, Stuart Taylor, Jack Rose. (I mention this partly out of fun, but it's worth noting that both Alnwick and Howard are out of contract in June.)
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm
I know what you mean, particularly on Turner. I know there's a leap from U23s to men's football but considering the hoopla you'd hope we'd trust him to at least warm the bench. Alnwick has done reasonably well this season but you wonder if it's a phase rather than a development; with the best will in the world, we're going to concede shots so we're going to need a reliable keeper. Parky has proved himself to be quite loyal but can also make tough decisions when needed, so this could be interesting.

Championship goalkeepers with lapsing contracts: Allan McGregor, Mark Bunn, Luke Steele, Anssi Jaakkola, Ben Alnwick, Mark Howard, Dean Gerken, Brian Murphy, Tomás Mejías, Stephen Bywater, Ben Wilson, Kelle Roos, Dimitrios Konstantopoulos, Seny Dieng, Matthew Hudson, Michael Crowe, Harry Campbell, Jack Walton, Callum Roberts. Details: https://www.transfermarkt.com/champions ... 0&yt0=Show
Of the championship lot I think I prefer Alnwick over all the others. He's been in good form and deserves a new contract imo.

Of the premiership group I'd love to see Vorm or Krul here but it would take at least a Ben Amos type contract to attract them and I can't see Ken sanctioning one of those on his watch
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Depends how much we're still in cost cutting mode Vs sustainable. If we're happy for Turner to be #2 then you might be able to get a significant upgrade on Alnwick and Howard's wages combined. Myhill and Hamer are the two that stand out and I reckon are gettable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:10 pm
Depends how much we're still in cost cutting mode Vs sustainable. If we're happy for Turner to be #2 then you might be able to get a significant upgrade on Alnwick and Howard's wages combined. Myhill and Hamer are the two that stand out and I reckon are gettable.
Leicester mate likes Hamer. But it depends whether we're operating within a strict wage structure, as in per man. If we've got, say, a £10kpw ceiling, it's no good giving a goalkeeper £15k and saying "well it's two blokes' wages" – it won't stop the rest banging on the door.

But yes, I do agree that theoretically I'd like Turner to be at least No.2. I see he's gone on a work-ex loan for the rest of the season, so let's see how that goes.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Yeah all very sane. Wouldn't be breaking the bank to get a keeper but imagine Ben and Mark are at the lower end and so "using" their wages wouldn't be getting to Amos levels of giddy. But always thought Peter Taylor's insistence that Clough treat goalkeeping seriously is an underappreciated part of their success.