Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

One of the reasons we go long is that the midfield are bottling it. The lads at the back get the ball and our midfielders go and stand behind an opposition player to make sure nobody passes to them. They don't want the ball. For all his faults, the only mid I see demanding the ball is Derik. If some of the lads in the middle of the park stood up and asked for it to feet, showed themselves as options, we might see less of the front to back stuff. We're a team with no belief in our ability to play with the ball. One reason to play Clough is that he will always ask for the ball and try to play. Whether you rate him or not, he's not shy of getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.
For far too long we've been without a game changer; somebody who'll run around, find spaces and want the ball. Mark Davies was the last we had of note in that role, and Holden before him,at least capable of making a run from deep with the ball and being a bit more dangerous than a midfield who thumb their noses and pull faces at the opposition from the safety of our own half. Maybe, if Pratley is actually fit, he could make a difference. At leasat he'll fight for it. I always saw Vela taking over that midfield general role, but creating is just as much of it as defending and hand-grenade passing. Get Clough in there for no better reason than what have we got to lose? ...Fine anybody who passes backwards in the way Rio Ferdinand taught the world to play after too many watchings of La Liga. Come on Whites, get in there and show some balls. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am

Think we'll win and Barnsley will tonight at Ipswich. Then it all comes down to Saturday for the decider. My worry being that we'll need to win it as I think Barnsley will win at Forest in their game in hand.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm
With the exception of Danny Baker. He's my favourite broadcaster :)
Aye. Baker on Twitter can be a drunken antagonistic fool, but as a broadcaster (on TV or radio) he's a fizzing fountain of ideas. Bruce, you'd like this, from the ever-interesting Word podcast: near 90 minutes of him jammering on in all directions, incalculably more entertaining than tonight's events between his team and yours.

http://wordpodcast.co.uk/2017/12/14/wor ... nny-baker/
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm
We have a history of ending people's winless runs, not their winning runs.
Well, we can help them there, too. Perhaps it's good old confirmation bias crossed with doom-mongering and a light sprinkle of salt-throwing superstition but fans don't seem to mention the long runs of favourable results, like ours against Millwall. Since our third season under (their discarded gaffer) Rioch we've played them 12 times, won eight and drawn three; the only loss cost Coyle his job, so that's a net win anyway.
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 09.28.54.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 09.28.54.png (83.7 KiB) Viewed 11912 times

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Lose or draw tonight then I don't hold much hope for survival.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:25 pm

As I don't think it's been mentioned: a quick note that Connor Hall didn't travel with the U23s for their game last night (which they duly lost) – he'd stayed behind at Lostock with the first team #oooooh

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:48 pm

If Connor Hall knows where the goal is then get him in because, none of the others do. If he ain't good enough now he never will be.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Last-five-minutes Hail Mary sub. Zach left kicking his heels. Up in the stands, Tyler Walker turns to weep on the understanding shoulder of Harry Charsley.

Naw, Connor's been doing brilliantly at U23 level and maybe, just maybe, that kind of confidence/momentum is what we need. But unless Parky's starting with the 352 he swiftly abandoned on Saturday, it would mean dropping ALF (or playing him at No.10)...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:02 pm

I've not seen enough of Hall to have much of an opinion. The couple of reserve games I've seen he did pretty well and reminded me a bit of Shane Long. Not a big lad, but seemed to put himself about well. Anyone on here seen the reserves regularly and have a properly informed view of him?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Hall, Obasi, Alf or whoever can't score goals without the team creating chances for them to put away.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 19.04.51.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 19.04.51.png (179.77 KiB) Viewed 11824 times
4-2-3-1 with probably our most "solid" (but arguably slowest and least attacking) back four; Derik and Clive, sorry, Henry sat in front; Pratley at 10 behind Alf and between Sammi and Noone.

Six changes. None of them are Hall. Taylor, Flanagan, Ameobi, Noone, Pratley and Derik in for Robinson, Little, Burke, Vela, Karacan and Wilbraham.

Morais fit enough for the bench, I'd expect hm to come on.

COYWM. I don't think I'll be on-site tonight (out and about) but by God I'll be following the action.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:13 pm

It's a real shame Vela hasn't been able to impose himself on the side this season. I was really hoping he'd emerge as an important player this season, but he's not starting and I find I'm not fussed in the least.

As you say, it's a slow back four. It's not like we can push up and take the game to the opposition, they'll destroy us on the counter. Cagey, boring football and hope for a decent set-piece.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 19.04.51.png

4-2-3-1 with probably our most "solid" (but arguably slowest and least attacking) back four; Derik and Clive, sorry, Henry sat in front; Pratley at 10 behind Alf and between Sammi and Noone.

Six changes. None of them are Hall. Taylor, Flanagan, Ameobi, Noone, Pratley and Derik in for Robinson, Little, Burke, Vela, Karacan and Wilbraham.

Morais fit enough for the bench, I'd expect hm to come on.

COYWM. I don't think I'll be on-site tonight (out and about) but by God I'll be following the action.
Fxck Me! And I mean proper fxck me!
Robinson and Little, the only players (apart from Wheater and Ameobi) that did anything at Derby, dropped. Clough on the bench yet again. The only redeeming feature being Wilbrahahahabrabum not starting.
If these don't win tonight I'll be proper Lambasting Parkinson. (I'm convinced already he hasn't a clue).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Hull 1 nil up at Burton.

COYW!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Not been this nervous since, oh, last Saturday. Kick out the what-if's, maybe's and anything excuse related. Win or lose with us all knowing the latter isn't an option. Get in there and do it. We're at home and Pratley's back, what more can you want, so.....COME ON YOU WHITES..... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:25 pm
As I don't think it's been mentioned: a quick note that Connor Hall didn't travel with the U23s for their game last night (which they duly lost) – he'd stayed behind at Lostock with the first team #oooooh
Not even on the bench.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Good to go, two results looking in our favour already, but only one result matters tonight. Whites in white as they should be and if the ref can't be friendly, at least don't be a twelfth man for the opposition. Everything crossed and away we go..

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Birmingham 1 down
Its going to be our night
COYWM !!! :lol:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:09 pm

You'll be glad to know we're playing left to right, and we have a free kick. Comes back to Sammi and he wins a throw. Four Whites in the box and.....and....Taylor and....cleared and broke, and Alf gives one away. Derik limping a touch? Anyway, some chat, then another free to them. We clear, Alf chases and.....we sally...they break and...Gregory scuffs a real chance as he slips. Sammi goes, Noone, they clear and...it goes through to Ben. Wallop and...some chat, then they get clear but we grab it back. Derik, Sammi and......official gives a goal kick when mic lads claim it was a corner. Goal kick them and....Beevers clears, they send it back, we get away but the throw goes to them. And....Bevers, then Prats is wrestled down and we get a free kick.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Sammi sets us off, Taylor sallies, Beevers and....Taylor, Sammi and.....we almost score as the keeper grabs it. Good move from us and we maybe should have got that. Ref gives them another free and....Hutchinson...no, Williams sends it in...a bit of us and them then Gregory....wins a corner. And....Hutchinson heads over without problem. Gregory's touch casuses comment in the mic box. Throw them and..Derik wins it. Alf, Sammi....loses it and Meredith comes away. Pratley now, Noone and....blocked and cleared. Parky mubling at the 4th official, then...we get a free kick. Flanners and...they head clear. Derik goes back and.....back and sideways, then....it ends in a throw to them. Some mic chat, then Sammi loses out and they try a run. A throw to us now and.....Reading go one behind and Brum two.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Come on lads, get in there. Free kick them and....we get a hand-ball free kick for a Ben wallop. Prats gives one away for a feather hit and...too much chat about sealing wax then....some more chat....then...Beevers headsit in...Noone and...OHHHHHH, just wide of a deflected Archer block. Corner after some good work by Alf. Punched out, back in via Noone, they head clear and....we get another corner. If we can turn this pressure into a goal and....a Flannagan shot is blocked and cleared. Flannagan heads out for a corner to them. In and....Ben collars it and sends Sammi away and....we get a free kick. Hull 2 up on Hull, Brum get one back.......Sammi got a wallop there and is a bit shaky. And Noone will take it and....they clear and get a throw...