Squad Cost

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Squad Cost

Post by Mar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-12387769

I thought our squad was made up entirely of free transfers?

I'd be quite surprised to hear that we actually spent money on players, in particular Aaron Wilbraham.

Is the mirror article correct? or badly researched?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Squad Cost

Post by jmjhb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am

Looking at the official announcements both were undisclosed fees. Doubt it was more than a pittance though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am

When we signed Wilbraham and Noone we were under embargo and couldn't pay a fee. As Iles confirmed at the time for Wilbraham it was a free transfer recorded as an undisclosed fee for some reason or other on the Bristol City end.

Neither had a transfer fee attached - it would have been against the rules to pay a fee.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am

I'd be quite surprised to hear that we actually spent money on players, in particular Aaron Wilbraham.

It's questionable, let's say that. A fellow journo has described it as "way off", and he supports Wolves, who come off favourably in it.

None of the players in our squad cost a "transfer fee", as in an amount of money one clubs pays the other in order to transfer the registration. Some of those stretch way back: Pratley signed for Coyle in summer 2011. (Wheater had joined in January 2011 for a fee, but has since left and re-signed as a free agent. For the record, the next longest-server is either Vela, who made his debut in April 2012, or as a 'signing' Dorian Dervite, who joined in summer 2014. Ben Amos and Derik Osede are the only others to predate Parkinson, unless you count Zach's return on loan or some Academy lads who might have been here since before puberty.)

Wilbraham and Noone were described as "undisclosed" fees but this was for bookkeeping purposes. (Iles, BN, 11 Aug: "Bolton fans were left discussing Wilbraham’s fee too but only because the club had taken the unusual step of describing it as ‘undisclosed’. It was, of course, a free transfer, for that is the pool an embargo-saddled Wanderers have been fishing for some time."

It's possible we've paid loan fees – we have organised nine loans: Burke, Cullen, Robinson (extended), Armstrong, Charsley, Walker, Flanagan, Clough and Burke again – but I'd be surprised if they went anywhere near £2.5m.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am
Mar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am

It's questionable, let's say that. A fellow journo has described it as "way off", and he supports Wolves, who come off favourably in it.

None of the players in our squad cost a "transfer fee", as in an amount of money one clubs pays the other in order to transfer the registration. Some of those stretch way back: Pratley signed for Coyle in summer 2011. (Wheater had joined in January 2011 for a fee, but has since left and re-signed as a free agent. For the record, the next longest-server is either Vela, who made his debut in April 2012, or as a 'signing' Dorian Dervite, who joined in summer 2014. Ben Amos and Derik Osede are the only others to predate Parkinson, unless you count Zach's return on loan or some Academy lads who might have been here since before puberty.)

Wilbraham and Noone were described as "undisclosed" fees but this was for bookkeeping purposes. (Iles, BN, 11 Aug: "Bolton fans were left discussing Wilbraham’s fee too but only because the club had taken the unusual step of describing it as ‘undisclosed’. It was, of course, a free transfer, for that is the pool an embargo-saddled Wanderers have been fishing for some time."

It's possible we've paid loan fees – we have organised nine loans: Burke, Cullen, Robinson (extended), Armstrong, Charsley, Walker, Flanagan, Clough and Burke again – but I'd be surprised if they went anywhere near £2.5m.
Could only have paid loan fees in January - they were prohibited under embargo.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 pm

I'd be very surprised if we paid a fee for Wilbraham. Noone less so but they did have an abundance of players on their books and he had a year left on his contract.

I know we spent money on Wheater but he left and came back so i'm still considering that a freebie.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:27 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 pm
I'd be very surprised if we paid a fee for Wilbraham. Noone less so but they did have an abundance of players on their books and he had a year left on his contract.

I know we spent money on Wheater but he left and came back so i'm still considering that a freebie.
We didn't. Because we weren't allowed to. Iles and Lee Anderson both confirmed yesterday that since KA has been owner the club hasn't spent a penny on transfer fees.

The cost reported in that article are according to LA historic costs for players purchased years ago.