A survival party brewing, or will we be drowning our sorrows? Burton v BWFC 28/4/2018 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

A survival party brewing, or will we be drowning our sorrows? Burton v BWFC 28/4/2018 3pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm

So here it is, the success/failure of the whole season comes down largely to this game at the Pirelli Stadium.

The Brewers are the division's paupers, and in a league of huge financial disparity like this it is no surprise that their season has been a long battle against the drop. Without a rich backer, and operating from a 2500-3000 home support, it is to their huge credit that they have given themselves a chance of a third successive season at this level. They looked down and out as we returned from the final international break a few weeks ago, but creditable draws at home to Middlesbrough (only denied victory due to a last minute equalizer), at Birmingham, and then two excellent wins in their last two games at home to play off chasing Derby, and at Sunderland means they have a chance. As the season started, they put a lot of faith in £500,000 signing Liam Boyce from Ross County to score the goals they needed, and it was a huge blow when he got seriously injured pre-season. It is possibly no coincidence that his return has coincided with more goals and more victories. Along with veteran Darren Bent, signed on loan in the JTW, and Marvin Sordell they now have a reasonable looking strike force. If they do stay up it will be almost entirely down to their away form which reads W6 D6 L10 as opposed to a home record of W3 D5 L14.

We appear to be in a terrible mess. Our record since the last international break is W0 D1 L5, with a goal difference of F3 A14. More disturbingly we look rudderless, tired and lacking in spirit. Parky seems be making hail mary team selections and tactical set ups, Ken is harshly criticizing one minute and frantically trying to rally the troops the next. Still, anything can happen in a nervy relegation battle like this, so there must be some hope.

It is possible a draw in itself will be enough, given Burton go to play off chasing Preston on the last day, and Barnsley face fellow play off chasers Brentford and Derby in their last two games. Of course events on Saturday could mean neither Preston nor Derby will have anything to play for on the last day, meaning we might need something from our home game against Forest. We can't say we deserve many more points than we have got, and indeed there have been enough lucky wins where we have been really poor to make an argument we have more points than we deserve. We would have gone down without trace in most Championship seasons, but in this one we are still favourites to survive. Lets bloody well do it! ALF to score a late equalizer in a 1-1 draw. COYW.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A survival party brewing, or will we be drowning our sorrows? Burton v BWFC 28/4/2018 3pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:54 pm

The nearer to the brewery you are, the better the Marston's Pedi. That is all I have to say on the matter.
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A survival party brewing, or will we be drowning our sorrows? Burton v BWFC 28/4/2018 3pm

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:44 pm
Marc Illes in the B.N.."This town you represent and the badge you wear on your chest demands it."

Which town is that Marc, Horwich? Only the actual supporters of the team deserve anything. Apart from them, what's the town of Bolton actually done for B.W.F.C? I'll stand correction and apologise if that's out of order.
What exactly are you complaining about here, Tango? Yes, the stadium is in Horwich - which is inside the Bolton borough - and I get that it's a sore point, but after 20 years isn't it time to get over it?

The players play for Bolton Wanderers. The club represents the town of Bolton. What exactly has the article said that's wrong?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:44 pm
Marc Illes in the B.N.."This town you represent and the badge you wear on your chest demands it."

Which town is that Marc, Horwich? Only the actual supporters of the team deserve anything. Apart from them, what's the town of Bolton actually done for B.W.F.C? I'll stand correction and apologise if that's out of order.
What exactly are you complaining about here, Tango? Yes, the stadium is in Horwich - which is inside the Bolton borough - and I get that it's a sore point, but after 20 years isn't it time to get over it?

The players play for Bolton Wanderers. The club represents the town of Bolton. What exactly has the article said that's wrong?
Ha, nothing at all wrong with Horwich, Truewhite, or Westhougton, Daisy Hill, or Farnworth (I've lived in all of them) or anywhere else, and I "got over it" a long while back. "This town demands it" jarred somewhat. As I said, I'll stand correction. You may be (are) a true White, my son in law, one daughter and a grandson support United, another son in law supports Stoke and my next door neighbour and his son support the Scousers. Out of a population of 280,000 at 2014 count, mabe 15,000 support the Whites. I just found "this town" a bit ironic is all. No sweat.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am
Ha, nothing at all wrong with Horwich, Truewhite, or Westhougton, Daisy Hill, or Farnworth (I've lived in all of them) or anywhere else, and I "got over it" a long while back. "This town demands it" jarred somewhat. As I said, I'll stand correction. You may be (are) a true White, my son in law, one daughter and a grandson support United, another son in law supports Stoke and my next door neighbour and his son support the Scousers. Out of a population of 280,000 at 2014 count, mabe 15,000 support the Whites. I just found "this town" a bit ironic is all. No sweat.
Sorry TD but that's incorrect - just because we only get 15,000 max fans attending home games at the bottom of the championship doesn't mean that's all who support the whites, look at P/Boro last season 20,000 home fans, in the prem we regularly got 25,000 home fans (when we had JJ & Youri etc).

You don't go to games anymore but you are still a fan, same with many people's brothers, dads & grand dads they still support the whites but just don't go for whatever reason - lots of fans who used to go in the prem are still whites supporters. I would say that out of a borough population of 280,000 around 30,000 - 40,000 support the whites, but I agree that's still not great - but what do you expect with Utd, City. l/Pool, Everton on the doorstep.

I actually found Iles's 'this town expects' rallying call excellent....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sorry TD but that's incorrect - just because we only get 15,000 max fans attending home games at the bottom of the championship doesn't mean that's all who support the whites, look at P/Boro last season 20,000 home fans, in the prem we regularly got 25,000 home fans (when we had JJ & Youri etc).

You don't go to games anymore but you are still a fan, same with many people's brothers, dads & grand dads they still support the whites but just don't go for whatever reason - lots of fans who used to go in the prem are still whites supporters. I would say that out of a borough population of 280,000 around 30,000 - 40,000 support the whites, but I agree that's still not great - but what do you expect with Utd, City. l/Pool, Everton on the doorstep.

I think I might just have been having a little dig at Bolton Town Council, ( the town of Bolton) P.T. but never mind. I've withdrawn the post. As you so quickly pointed out, I don't go to games anymore.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Don't withdraw the post Tango...when it starts getting purely territorial on the basis of being a true supporter I get a little disconcerted. Bolton isn't BWFC. BWFC isn't Bolton. They are two different entities. The Venn diagram that represents this may overlap considerably, but I know for a fact won't be an exact match.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I think I might just have been having a little dig at Bolton Town Council, ( the town of Bolton) P.T. but never mind. I've withdrawn the post. As you so quickly pointed out, I don't go to games anymore.
TD I wasn't having a go at you not attending games anymore, I've missed quite a few this season - I was merely pointing out that like you there are thousands of Bolton fans who don't go to games, but that they still support BWFC

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:48 pm
The Venn diagram that represents this may overlap considerably, but I know for a fact won't be an exact match.
Especially with everyone on this board who lives outside of Bolton. Same with any club.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

I agree. A good chest-thumping heart-warming cri de coeur from a bloke who puts up with a lot of flak but genuinely wants the team to do well and shares the emotions of the supporters who travel thousands of miles per season – after all, he's usually there with them, enjoying or enduring the performances. Being a local football reporter is an ever-harder row to hoe - always suspected of being either uncaring or unprofessional, too close to the club or too distant, and these days expected to crank out more "content" than ever before to an audience that can get closer (and more offensive) than at any point in history. I honestly hope Marc has occasion tomorrow to involuntarily stand from his cramped pressbox seat, punch the air with delight – then settle straight back down to inform the world that Wanderers will be alright.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm

“We have to make sure there is physicality in the side because of the way Burton play, that is absolutely key,” Parkinson said. “We have to make sure there is size in the team to be a threat at set-pieces and defend them ourselves. Even if you take the teams around us – Sunderland, Birmingham, Barnsley – the games were separated by set-plays. They were pivotal. The organisation for that sort of thing has to be spot on, for and against.”

Filipe Morais and Antonee Robinson are the two main fitness doubts going into the game with calf and shoulder problems, respectively. “We’ll look at them both just before kick off,” Parkinson added.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _equation/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:12 pm

I was originally hoping for a gung ho Barnsley 2nd half approach but as the games got nearer, I'm becoming a little more conservative.

Burton recently scored 2, 3 & 2 so appear to have some fire power now, if still being weak at the back. If I were Parky I could be tempted to go defensive, get the clean sheet and nick something up the other end if the chance arises
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:12 pm
Burton recently scored 2, 3 & 2 so appear to have some fire power now
Yeah, they've been boosted by the return of a striker whose transfer fee was more than we've paid in the last nine transfer windows combined.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Obassi and the status of his groin injury? Can't see a mention from MI. In some ways it feels "silly" to be introducing him now with just two to go, but at the same time can't help but feel that he might offer a different option if we're chasing with 10/15 to go. In a scenario like that, I think I'd personally chance a half-fit Obassi over Wilberforce.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:48 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

I agree. A good chest-thumping heart-warming cri de coeur from a bloke who puts up with a lot of flak but genuinely wants the team to do well and shares the emotions of the supporters who travel thousands of miles per season – after all, he's usually there with them, enjoying or enduring the performances. Being a local football reporter is an ever-harder row to hoe - always suspected of being either uncaring or unprofessional, too close to the club or too distant, and these days expected to crank out more "content" than ever before to an audience that can get closer (and more offensive) than at any point in history. I honestly hope Marc has occasion tomorrow to involuntarily stand from his cramped pressbox seat, punch the air with delight – then settle straight back down to inform the world that Wanderers will be alright.
Gee D.S.B, if my post had been read the right way in the first instance nothing more need have been said. I deleted it and, since I seem to be deemed wrong in some way, apologise unreservedly. It was never about Marc Iles.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:45 pm

It was literally only about Marc Iles and absolutely everyone took it as well as they could possibly have done.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Iles thinks team will "divide opinion"... "I am not sure people will like it"
Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 14.00.32.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 14.00.32.png (153.22 KiB) Viewed 18676 times
I make that a 4-2-3-1 something like:
Alnwick; Flanagan, Dervite, Beevers, Taylor; Henry, Derik; Noone, Pratley, Ameobi; Le Fondre

It's an XI that I disagree with, one that I think doesn't play to the strengths we showed at Barnsley, but I very very very much hope I'm wrong.

COYWM.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Parky Bingo.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Such a negative, defensive line up....Parkinson trying to nick a 0-0 like he does in 'every' game, it just invites pressure

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 pm
Parky Bingo.
It's the usual thing for a manager - if he makes changes he's a ditherer, if he picks the same XI he's overly loyal.

While I disagree with his team, I like that he has the nuts to change things. However, the proof of this particular pudding will be in the eating. Like if we get beaten and go down, we're eating a £6m loss, and Parky will again have been relegated from this division, and he might never get the chance again. He's shown his balls and put them on the line. For all our sakes I hope he's right.