Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by nelson66 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Totally agree with Radio Tango - get our house in order - and soon our time will come
COYWM !!
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 pm
At a time when craziness is the name of the game and greed and politics (Abramovitch, visas and big money screw ups at Chelsea as prime examples) are affecting what's basically still a game of football between two teams, ie, a sport (term used laughingly), we might just now be in a bit of a priveleged position after all our mountain climbing adventures of the last few years. Pay off our one (seemingly) major loan; five million pounds" get in no debt through buying outrageously over-priced players and paying scandalous agent fees, and keep our wage bills sensible; We might struggle, won't break any pots, but chug along above he danger line and watch the demise of some of the "big-hitters" around us. We're not going to ever become Barcelona, but one day we might be in a position to actually keep decent players and become respected again. What better time to start than when we're level on points with the top of the league? :wink:
Yes, we have a chance to make some baby steps of progress. I suppose the question for Ken/Parky is what area of the club do we focus on?

By my reckoning last season was a perfect season, in that we had what turned out to be an exciting escape from an impossible looking situation, including one of the most exciting games in decades, and with Cardiff getting promoted, I reckon me made a profit of around £1m. This is based on Ken stating in November that we were losing £5m-£6m, then Madine being transferred for what Warnock has said was £5m up front, and then according to the BEN we received a bonus "in excess of £1m". And crowds even increased as the season went on as it got more interesting, so perhaps our operating loss was closer to the £5m than the £6m.

Then, I reckon we have saved something like £2m - £2.5m in wages by not having Maidne's wage, plus releasing Derik, Karacan, Dervite, Chris Taylor and Howard, plus the U23s we released, plus Pratley (assuming he stays) going from his reported £14kpw, to presumably something like £6kpw. In addition we don't have the loan players from last season right now. At the time Ken made his statement in November, we had Robinson, Cullen, Burke and Armstrong. They must have cost at least £1m in wages. So that comes to a current saving of at least £3m - £3.5m in wages. We might be able to add to this if we can sell Amos, or get someone to pay a larger chunk of his reported £16kpw wages than the "nominal" amount Charlton paid last season. Of course, whilst this assumes everyone from last season's squad is retained, it would still leave us too threadbare, so some of this saving must be spent on the squad.

Then there are the concerts, the Rugby, the events at the hotel and the new stadium naming rights contract that might provide additional revenue when compared to last season. We are probably talking in the hundreds of thousands rather than the millions but still it all counts.

So it is possible to see where we may have generated enough money to pay off the £4.3m Blumarble loan, spend a little more on the squad, and operate on a similar basis to last season. Of course, that means we still have to fund a £5m-£6m loss, either by finding someone to sell in January, or via investment, or a spectacular cup run.

So lets say £1m - £1.5m more in wages is definitely spent on the squad, in addition to the retention of the squad from last season, which might get us up to six new free transfers/loans. I guess the decision is whether to spend the additional £4.3m on the strengthening a squad that might seriously struggle, including the possibility of paying out some modest fees for talented players or pay off the Blumarble loan? I guess Ken could do some renegotiating of the loan that involves partial payment. There is an implicit assumption here that Blumarble would allow to us defer/renegotiate. It is entirely possible Blumarble might not be in the mood to do anything other than demand payment. I think I would be in this mood if I were them.

Assuming there is an option, It would be interesting to know what our fans would do?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am

"Close" to signing Oztumer.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... aker_deal/
It would be novel for a transfer thread to have a signing within the first 50 pages. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am
"Close" to signing Oztumer.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... aker_deal/
It would be novel for a transfer thread to have a signing within the first 50 pages. :D
With him and Alf, wallop (hoof) balls should be a real no-no then. He's five feet three. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 am

I'm sure Parky will try :D

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 am

Oztumer would be a good signing & would be a signal of intent by Parkinson that he is looking to change the way we play next season and start to play on the floor through midfield

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 am
Oztumer would be a good signing & would be a signal of intent by Parkinson that he is looking to change the way we play next season and start to play on the floor through midfield
...or at least have the option to do so. I'm genuinely glad to hear we're (1) interested and (2) "close" to signing him but I don't expect we'll never again clear our lines or knock it long. Variety will help us become less predictable.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
...or at least have the option to do so. I'm genuinely glad to hear we're (1) interested and (2) "close" to signing him but I don't expect we'll never again clear our lines or knock it long. Variety will help us become less predictable.
oh quite. We'll still go long. But he'll be the one charged with picking up the second balls off the LumpUpFront (whomever that might be) instead of a clogger like D.Pratz. And when he gets the ball you'd like to think he'll do something good with it.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 pm

I would be delighted to get Oztumer. Some other interesting points in the article:

- We are close on 2-3 other deals that might be completed before the Oztumer deal.
- More players are likely to be released, not clear whether from the first team squad, or development squad, or both.
- We are working with a bigger budget this season. That could mean a lot of things, but the way it is written it suggests on the team..

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Oztumer is the sort of guy I've been hoping we'd sign for some time - a lower league player we can develop. I can't see 3 teams weaker than us in this season's Championship so we're going to have to find a couple of game changers if we're going to pitch for lower mid table. History suggests that they're not going to be loan players.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 pm

His YouTube highlights are class, including two lobs from near the half way line, one against us which I have no memory of.

Chungy-----Otzumer-----Ameobi

-----------Henry. ------ ??????

Something like that could be a quality midfield.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Or he might decide at the last minute he doesn't like our accent and sign for Blackburn... :wink:

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 pm
I would be delighted to get Oztumer. Some other interesting points in the article:

1- We are close on 2-3 other deals that might be completed before the Oztumer deal.
2- More players are likely to be released, not clear whether from the first team squad, or development squad, or both.
3- We are working with a bigger budget this season. That could mean a lot of things, but the way it is written it suggests on the team..

1) Does this include re-signings? If not the only ones being talked about are Lichaj, Sonny Boy and Fielding. I'd happily take all three.

2) If there are more releases planned there are 3 youf still remaining before you get into the first teamers.

3)Hope they don't tie up all the 'budget' re-signing the mediocre players from last year. Spend on upgrades first and foremost.
Last edited by mullayo on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Watching Ozmidgets highlights he does love a longshot, So teeny tiny... Like a little bearded ballboy running amok.

Plus if he's taking all the free kicks so do we really need Morais? If he's not there for frees is Morais worth starting?

Checked Transfermarkt doompa-loompa only scored 5 goals from frees and 3 from penalties (missing 2) in his five year career.

Aside from a couple of corners his many goals are left footed shots - most of them fairly long.
He'll single-handedly upgrade our shots per game.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 am

Iles piece suggesting PP's interest in McGoldrick has "cooled".

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... rm_target/

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 am

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 am

What about the other two D-Day targets Charlton's Josh Magennis and a loan bid for Reading’s Joseph Mendes?

Both 27-28 6ft in-2in target types. Both fairly athletic looking.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 am
palindromeofbolton wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 am

What about the other two D-Day targets Charlton's Josh Magennis and a loan bid for Reading’s Joseph Mendes?

Both 27-28 6ft in-2in target types. Both fairly athletic looking.
:lol: :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Very Simon and Garfunkel from the Macron at the moment?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:00 pm
Very Simon and Garfunkel from the Macron at the moment?
Aye. As Roving Gambler KA wanders round the world to Somewhere They Can’t Find Me, trying to complete The Dangling Conversation with a Citizen Of The Planet who might or might not buy the club, PP is left at home with the Voices Of Old People. "Why Don’t You Write Me a contract?” pleads Darren Pratley, “We’ve Got A Groovy Thing Goin’ On! Let me get back out on The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine!” “Are you Homeward Bound?” asks PP of KA. “Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream that it was a Hazy Shade Of Winter and we still hadn’t signed anyone. It's a long season – April Come She Will – and besides, season tickets are on sale and I need to Keep The Customer Satisfied.” “Fear not,” quoth Mark Beevers, “I Am A Rock,” walking in with David Wheater as the Old Friends simultaneously extend their contracts. “Have you seen Wilbraham?” asks PP. “Yep – he’s At The Zoo. With his grandkids.”

God, summer's long innit?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Ben Alnwick has signed a new two year contract.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!