World Cup 2018

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

World Cup 2018

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Anybody give a shit?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I will of course be watching pariotically and hoping for a miracle. I have been reasonably impressed with our games lately (beating Nigera last night was one such) and the better quality of football on offer. Still not convinced by Sterling who has talent, but seems to have his head on back to front otherwise, and I've never been a fan of Ashley Young. Cahill scored a blinder and was a rock in defence but we still need to keep the opposition away from our box. On the whole, we have a chance, although the media hype gets on my wick already with all the band waggon jumpers who'll be the first to get the pitchforks out if we lose any. Bring it on.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Stopped watching it years ago. I'd rather watch paint dry...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm
Anybody give a shit?
Not really, no. Was only talking about this earlier today. I'll watch the England games of course, but as regards the competition overall, I've never known, nor indeed felt such apathy towards one.

I blame FIFA for awarding to Russia in the first place. The WORLD cup finals have been awarded to a bunch of racist, homophobic cheats, and in this case the fish most certainly does rot from the head down.

The whole thing stinks, and I only hope that those stupid enough to go over there get back in one piece.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Costa Rica is very big on bananas; lets hope their players don't drop any skins on the pitch tonight... :|

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Versus Costa Rica. Mention of playing a South/Central American team at one time was enough to terrfiy. At least those days are in the past, but the word "friendly" is still seen by us as a "shake hands and best of luck chaps" event. Pity our opponents never see it that way. Hard to tell much tonight with ten changes from weekend. Delph has been missing for a fair while (I don't remember him figuring since Cline was the other full back) but really impressed in mifield (at least I think that's where he was supposed to be playing.First half he swapped about with Danny Rose then went into midfield second half. Jones seemed to be right back strangely, but didn't do a bad job. Rashford played a blinder and was a real threat, scoring a cracking goal after 15 mins or so. Danny Wellbeck got the second with a good opportunist run in and header. Couldn't see the point of playing Vardie when we never sent a pass to feet in the box which is what he's about. Like I said, hard to judge what our opening line up will be from tonight's performance. Competent enough without dazzling. Rashford rightly M.O.T.M.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:07 pm

I've just learnt that 17 (yes, seventeen) of the Moroccan team aren't actually Moroccan.
What with the two Turks who are German but think they're Turkish this time, and the German Polish Poles last time, it ridicules the basis behind this competition. Absolutely pisses on any credibility this competition once had.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:46 pm

...plus there's an Iranian player, born in Sweden, speaks only Swedish, who represented Sweden at international level, and has NEVER, not once, ever stepped foot in Iran, playing for fxcking Iran!!!
I've spent more time in Iran than he has. I've eaten goats, caviar, and rice that have a better claim to be Iranian than he has...
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:07 pm
I've just learnt that 17 (yes, seventeen) of the Moroccan team aren't actually Moroccan.
What with the two Turks who are German but think they're Turkish this time, and the German Polish Poles last time, it ridicules the basis behind this competition. Absolutely pisses on any credibility this competition once had.
Business is business dear boy, never mind the basic rules. Like the Roman arena games of yesteryear, give em spectacle. Not quite sure who's in charge of collecting all the shekels though? As you say, all a bit/lot of a sham, rather like a monster version of "Who do you think you are?" :wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:46 pm
...plus there's an Iranian player, born in Sweden, speaks only Swedish, who represented Sweden at international level, and has NEVER, not once, ever stepped foot in Iran, playing for fxcking Iran!!!
I've spent more time in Iran than he has. I've eaten goats, caviar, and rice that have a better claim to be Iranian than he has...
And this one gets more nonsensical by the day...
I don't know if you know of the 'British' woman held in an Iranian prison that all the liberal luvvies are so concerned about (Zaghari-Ratcliffe)... it turns out in her case the Iranians don't recognise dual nationality when she came before an Islamic court.
So. Here we have a Swede. He was born in Sweden and has a Swedish passport. He's never, ever been to Iran, ever.
His father fled Iran, and if he went back would be arrested and imprisoned. And yet his son, who travels on a Swedish passport accepted an Iranian passport, even though Iran doesn't recognise dual citizenship!!!
And what's more this bloke poses with his shirt off and drinking beer, behaviour that would have the Revolutionary Guard on his case in Tehran, which he's never been to. And yet the country that refuses to recognise dual nationality has given a passport to him.
Fxck this 'Swede', and fxck Iran. Hypocritical wankers.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:50 am

Anyone have a WC spreadsheet that they can let me have a copy of?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Russians playing like a one-way ticket to Siberia was the price for losing. 5-0 against a Saudia Arabia side I can't see troubling too many teams. Ruskies bullied the opposition (clogging and fouling allowed) but that said they were sharp, fit and full of energy. They'll need watching as closely as Putin watched the Saudi Prince during the game. Goals were all impressively worked and finished and the Russaian defence were rarely troubled. For the Saudies, Alsalawhi and Salem ran their bollox off but the rest were mediocre at best.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Reckon my lot would beat Saudi.

Odds on Suarez/Cavani for golden boot must be tumbling.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Dzyuba would have been such a BWFC signing if we were, you know, still good

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Shaqiri. The latest in a long line of Muslim cxnts who play for one country whilst having allegiance to another. Fxck you Shaqiri.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Allegiance? They're playing football not fighting a war you daft tw*t.

He's from one country which his parents left because of a war and he plays for the country which took him in. I thought that's what we fecking wanted from immigrants. What's he supposed to do. Wear a t-shirt saying "f*ck Kosovo"?

Christ alive.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Meanwhile, how do you say "Ding dong do" in Iranian or Moroccan? :lol:

Iran sneaked it in the 94th minute via a cracking diving header, except it was a Moroccan who scored it? :lol: Morocco had most of the play in a football fouling war and should have won, but that's football. Two little baldy chaps, (Amarat and the one who was subbed inured?) were joint men of the match for me. Frantic, crackers football, but great entertainment. Ref did well to finish with 22 on the pitch at the end.

Really looking forward to Spain v Portugal tonight. Might finish up a draw because neither can afford to lose and both should go through. Ramos v Ronaldo should be good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm
Meanwhile, how do you say "Ding dong do" in Iranian or Moroccan? :lol:

Iran sneaked it in the 94th minute via a cracking diving header, except it was a Moroccan who scored it? :lol: Morocco had most of the play in a football fouling war and should have won, but that's football. Two little baldy chaps, (Amarat and the one who was subbed inured?) were joint men of the match for me. Frantic, crackers football, but great entertainment. Ref did well to finish with 22 on the pitch at the end.

Really looking forward to Spain v Portugal tonight. Might finish up a draw because neither can afford to lose and both should go through. Ramos v Ronaldo should be good.
Not half! Beers are in the fridge, pizza in the oven. Should be fireworks.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm
Shaqiri. The latest in a long line of Muslim cxnts who play for one country whilst having allegiance to another. Fxck you Shaqiri.
Bizarre post. Have a look at the Morocco side if you really want to get triggered

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 pm

This is more like it!